The Student Room Group

UCAS Extra

Hi
I've applied to 5 unis through UCAS.
But now I have changed my mind about the course I want to study.
I want to do a completed different course in an area that is unrelated to the course I applied for.
I, also, would like to apply to a university I didn't originally apply to.

My question is - can I and how do I??
Would I need to write a new personal statement and would my old personal statement get sent with the new one?

Thanks in advance :smile:
You can only change courses at a Uni you have already applied to - you cannot apply to fresh Unis at this stage. You need to check your meet the admissions requirement for the new course and then phone the individual Unis and ask if you can change. They dont have to say Yes.

Bear in mind that your PS stays the same. And this will probably be inappropriate to your new intended subject. It might be better to cancel your UCAS application for this year ad reapply with a totally new PS (and known grades) for 2014. This would also give you more time to research the 'new' subject and be certain that it is what you want.
You can withdraw / reject from all your current offers and go through extra. You get to apply to a new uni and course but one at a time. It'd be best to write a new PS, and contact the universities BEFORE applying to them to see if they're open for application as, at this stage, many uni's aren't.
Reply 3
I've seen a course I'd like to apply for listed in extra but I'm just anxious about declining my other offers...Would Birmingham be able to give me any sort of indication as the likelihood of my application being successful? I would contact them but they're probably away for Easter aren't they?
Original post by Santorum
I've seen a course I'd like to apply for listed in extra but I'm just anxious about declining my other offers...Would Birmingham be able to give me any sort of indication as the likelihood of my application being successful? I would contact them but they're probably away for Easter aren't they?

They should be back now. Universities only close over the bank holidays + a day or two, it's only the students who get a whole month off - the staff don't!

It's recommended to contact any university you want to apply to through Extra before you send in your application. That way you can talk to them about your reasons for being interested in the course, your grades and subjects and predictions and find out whether you'd be likely to get an offer. You can also ask whether they'd want you to send them a new PS for the subject directly or not.

Before you ring it makes sense to at least write a bullet point draft of your PS so that you'll be able to speak well about your reasons for applying.

If your conversation goes well (they may ask you to ring back at a different time or they may be able to speak to you then and there) then you can decline your offers and apply through Extra with confidence that you're likely to get an offer.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
They should be back now. Universities only close over the bank holidays + a day or two, it's only the students who get a whole month off - the staff don't!

It's recommended to contact any university you want to apply to through Extra before you send in your application. That way you can talk to them about your reasons for being interested in the course, your grades and subjects and predictions and find out whether you'd be likely to get an offer. You can also ask whether they'd want you to send them a new PS for the subject directly or not.

Before you ring it makes sense to at least write a bullet point draft of your PS so that you'll be able to speak well about your reasons for applying.

If your conversation goes well (they may ask you to ring back at a different time or they may be able to speak to you then and there) then you can decline your offers and apply through Extra with confidence that you're likely to get an offer.

Okay great, it's for the same subject and the entry requirements are similar to courses I have received offers for already so hopefully I can get an offer.
Thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 6
Do you have any sort of tips, I was going to contact them via email as my phone is too unreliable.I was just going to ask whether there are places still on the course then maybe list my subjects and predicted grades, how does that sound?
Original post by Santorum
Do you have any sort of tips, I was going to contact them via email as my phone is too unreliable.I was just going to ask whether there are places still on the course then maybe list my subjects and predicted grades, how does that sound?

Top tip would be to phone them first then follow it up with an email (ask them which address to write to over the phone). That way you'll KNOW what information they want from you rather than just guessing and sending it all in one big email that might not get read by someone with lots of time to trawl through it.

If your phone is unreliable then use a landline, if you're in School/College then ask - they should be able to let you use a landline and somewhere to ring from.
With regards to ucas extra, does it come up with all the available courses for a certain subject or do you have to manually look whether they have a place with each university?
Original post by manutillidie
With regards to ucas extra, does it come up with all the available courses for a certain subject or do you have to manually look whether they have a place with each university?

You can tick the box on UCAS course search to only show courses open for Extra - but that should just be to get your short list.

You can only apply to 1 course at a time and you don't get an insurance choice. It's therefore VITAL to do a lot of research into the course content and the university to be SURE you like it. AND you MUST ring up the university concerned to speak to someone about the course, your qualifications and whether you're likely to get an offer via Extra.

Universities only get 21 days to make you an offer - you should pre-warn them that you're applying to make sure that you don't get rejected just because you chose to apply the day that the admissions tutor went on holiday for 3 weeks!
Reply 10
So after having applied for adult nursing and being pretty unsuccessful i received my 5th rejection today - obviously a bit bummed out but yeah trying to remain hopeful.
I've been looking through extra and have seen some other courses that I wouldn't mind applying (still within science relation of course) things like applied biology/human biosciences etc.
Now what my question revolves around is - do you think I'll have to write a new personal statement being its still within boundaries of relation to my original choice of study?
Sorry if it seems a little silly to ask haha.
I'm currently studying an access course (medicine and medical biosciences) so I don't know my predicted grades yet.
Possibly thinking of trying for a sandwich degree - or degree with foundation year, does anyone know how hard these are to get onto?

Sorry it's long 😜

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I was rejected from all five unis that I originally applied for, I then applied through extra for a different course and for a completely different university I contacted them first to make sure it was ok and wasn't wasting my time and they said it was fine, I had to write a new personal statement and sent it to them via email, and have been offered an interview... Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I applied through extra and have been offered an interview, it's been 21 days since I applied because a add extra choice appears on my Ucas track does that mean it'll withdraw my application from the other universities even though they got back to me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Vanessa1
I applied through extra and have been offered an interview, it's been 21 days since I applied because a add extra choice appears on my Ucas track does that mean it'll withdraw my application from the other universities even though they got back to me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have the option of changing this choice for another if you wish. If you don't want to then don't touch anything! Don't even click it "to see what happens". UCAS won't withdraw the choice unless you tell them to.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone
Reply 14
Original post by Juno
You have the option of changing this choice for another if you wish. If you don't want to then don't touch anything! Don't even click it "to see what happens". UCAS won't withdraw the choice unless you tell them to.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone

Okay thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blossom786
Hi

I have applied for physics with astronomy at sheffield, leeds, lancaster liverpool. i received an offer from all four and kept sheffield and leeds as my firm and insurance.

I know you can only go through extra if you decline all your offers. i made the decisions of my firm and insurance a while ago and submitted my application way back in december, so got my replies pretty quick

Now I have a slight problem...I've decided I want to do something else...geophysical sciences. I searched on ucas course and leeds university do geophysical sciences, but I've applied there for physics ..

what on earth should I do now?! because it says once you click 'firm' you have to commit to it! :frown:

also, I searched for geophysical sciences at leeds uni on ucas, and it shows that there ARE vacancies through extra..

* If the course change you want is at a Uni you are holding your Firm with then phone them and ask to be considered for a course change.

* If it isnt, then read the posts above from PQ about PHONING the Uni that you want to apply to through Extra.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending