The Student Room Group

MEng/BEng confusion, please help.

Hi,

While applying to university I seem to have made a massive error in applying to my university of choice. I have applied for the MEng in a course rather than the BEng I wanted to apply for. I realised this while filling in student finance and realise this is very late in the day. Note I have not yet received an offer or rejection from this university. Is there any way I can mend this situation? Any help would be very much appreciated.
You can't really change what you have applied for on UCAS after you have applied. But then, if you get in, it doesn't really matter. You can usually downgrade.

I applied for BEng Civil Engineering at Edinburgh because there were lower entry qualifications than for the MEng, which I wanted to do. (My Maths grade wasn't great). I was reassured that I would upgrade after third year (as Scottish degrees are a year longer, this would be second year in Eng/W/NI) if I made the grades.

I don't see why there should be any problems at all DOWNgrading. The courses you do in your first years are identical. The only difference for you is it may make it harder for you to get into the university in the first place.

Can I ask, though, why do you want to do the BEng instead of the MEng anyway?
Original post by CurtainrailMan
You can't really change what you have applied for on UCAS after you have applied. But then, if you get in, it doesn't really matter. You can usually downgrade.

I applied for BEng Civil Engineering at Edinburgh because there were lower entry qualifications than for the MEng, which I wanted to do. (My Maths grade wasn't great). I was reassured that I would upgrade after third year (as Scottish degrees are a year longer, this would be second year in Eng/W/NI) if I made the grades.

I don't see why there should be any problems at all DOWNgrading. The courses you do in your first years are identical. The only difference for you is it may make it harder for you to get into the university in the first place.

Can I ask, though, why do you want to do the BEng instead of the MEng anyway?

Mainly due to the fact that I'm not confident that I'll get the grades for the MEng.
Original post by MastersBachelors
Mainly due to the fact that I'm not confident that I'll get the grades for the MEng.

Ring up your uni and ask that if they can't make you an offer for the MEng that you'd like to be considered for the BEng. They can make a changed course offer no problem.

Similarly if they make you an offer for the MEng anyway then call them up and ask that if you miss the grades in August you'd like them to reconsider you for the BEng instead of rejecting you outright.

This is generally standard practice at most universities anyway but ring them up and ask to be sure and to reassure yourself.
Original post by PQ
Ring up your uni and ask that if they can't make you an offer for the MEng that you'd like to be considered for the BEng. They can make a changed course offer no problem.

Similarly if they make you an offer for the MEng anyway then call them up and ask that if you miss the grades in August you'd like them to reconsider you for the BEng instead of rejecting you outright.

This is generally standard practice at most universities anyway but ring them up and ask to be sure and to reassure yourself.

Thank you very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending