The Student Room Group

BREAKING: Philpott jailed for just 15 years...

Scroll to see replies

Bro relax, its called a libera and left wing justice system that wants to help criminals who kill innocent people, Effectively if i murder someone i have a second chance at life, but the person i kill doesnt. I also cost alot of money

Norway is very left. Anders Breivik. 20 Years in prison. Maximum sentence in Norway.
Original post by dj1015
And he will be out in 15. Thats what I am saying, cant you read my post?

We can read, but you clearly don't know what you're talking about, serving the minimum sentence does not mean you're 100% likely to be let out. He will be in prison for a long time. Now, get off the DM and go read something decent.

Original post by Jordan-James
Bro relax, its called a libera and left wing justice system that wants to help criminals who kill innocent people, Effectively if i murder someone i have a second chance at life, but the person i kill doesnt. I also cost alot of money

Norway is very left. Anders Breivik. 20 Years in prison. Maximum sentence in Norway.

And they also have the lowest re-offending rates in Europe, which saves alot of money.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by taintedCH
He was sentenced to life imprisonment. Unless he can prove he is rehabilitated, he will never be released. He would only ever be released on licence too. I don't know about you, but I personally do not like the idea of retributive justice. I think retribution is best left for the countries in which thieves have their hands cut off. In Britain the system tries the scavenge the most of what's left and try to rebuild as many lives as possible.

Were he to be executed, imagine how his family would suffer? He has 5 other children who, the crime aside, would likely not want to see their father die. This country is not soft on crime. We have an extremely high incarceration rate. Throwing people into prison does not solve the problems faced by society. You want to make people behave better? Raise people out of poverty and give them a decent education.

And what about the 6 human beings that he killed? Do they get a chance to be rehibilitated?

People with views like this disgust me.
I think they were the correct sentences. At the end of the day, they were not done for murder, it was manslaughter, so I think that the sentence is correct. Just how will they be able to live with themselves, I will never know. If this was in Scotland, they would have been convicted of Culpable Homicide, and then Philpott would be looking life with 25 years to serve, not 15 years, and the other 2, maybe 22 years a piece.
(edited 11 years ago)
http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2013-04-04/life-sentences-for-rapists-murderers/

Just an article i ran across,

3 men murdered a child rapist, all individually received a higher sentence than Philpott.

The Justice system is truly broken.
Reply 25
Hey guys, just because it was manslaughter doesn't mean that 15 years is a fair enough sentence! He should have life without the possibility of parole. In America, 13 year olds get life without parole for 2nd degree murder. Why should this man get 15 years for ok... accidently killing his children. He set fire to his house, he knew they were in there and he didn't give a **** when they died.

And for people saying, "how will he be able to live with himself", "he needs rehabilitation".. He's a diagnosed PSYCHOPATH. Meaning he won't give a **** even in 10 years time. He may pretend to be but that'll be that. If anything his diagnosis will often mean "unsafe to be released as likely to re-offend" and so he may stay imprisoned.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
And what about the 6 human beings that he killed? Do they get a chance to be rehibilitated?

People with views like this disgust me.

No, they don't. It's the sad, unfortunate matter of fact. But why make the situation worse? What good does society get out of killing another person, or locking them away forever? If we can rehabilitate someone back into society, we should. Capital punishment actually increases the murder and violent crime rates. Likewise, people with your views disgust me.
No, they don't. It's the sad, unfortunate matter of fact. But why make the situation worse? What good does society get out of killing another person, or locking them away forever? If we can rehabilitate someone back into society, we should. Capital punishment actually increases the murder and violent crime rates. Likewise, people with your views disgust me.

Just gonna put this into perspective, someone could walk into your house and stab you to death, receiving less than 10 years in prison. Tell me how you would truly feel about that without lying.

Truth is, people like you have no experience of what its like to lose someone to murder and see their killers get soft sentences. You would never understand the pain people like myself have gone through.

You just look at it from an outside perspective, Trying to play the equality man.
Reply 28

Do you honestly believe this man can be rehabilitated?
This is the problem with the British public, they are first to cry out at "injustice" against them selves, but it's never harsh enough when it comes to someone else.

He did not MURDER those kids, it was manslaughter, he didn't mean to kill them. Also whilst prison is aimed to punish it is also to rehabilitate. There is no sense throwing away the key, because prisoners will have no incentive to behave and improve once in prison.

Just because this guy was in the news for his crimes doesn't mean he should be treated any worse than another prisoner. Yes it was a horrific thing that happened, but he still needs to be treated like anyone else would be.

He isn't likely to be out in 15 years, that's just the parole point, chances are he's going to have the **** kicked out of him in prison for the next few years. He's going to keep needing to be moved about because of the beatings. The next 15 years are going to be hell for him. (Not saying he doesn't deserve it) and he's most likely going to get into fights which will decline him parole. He's not likely to be getting out of prison with enough time to enjoy life after.

End point is though, he needs to be treated the same as any other prisoner.

Before you go on about America having the good long life sentences and harsh punishments and that's how it should be... consider this, they have one of the highest re offending rates too.

With the option to extend that indefinitely which I guarantee will happen. Breivik won't ever see the outside world again.

Same here, minimum of 15 years with the option to extend the sentence indefinitely.
Just gonna put this into perspective, someone could walk into your house and stab you to death, receiving less than 10 years in prison. Tell me how you would truly feel about that without lying.

The person you're asking this would be dead if they'd been stabbed to death, so I doubt they'd give a damn...
Reply 32
Original post by Michaelj

Very honestly, I doubt he will ever be rehabilitated. But unless he can prove his rehabilitation, the ministry of justice will never release him on license. He will likely serve his life sentence. But one never knows.
Original post by Michaelj

Whether he can be rehabilitated or not is not the point. He needs to be treated the same as any other prisoner with regards to his sentencing, and the possibility of parole is going to affect the way he behaves in prison.

But to be honest this whole debate is moot as I wouldn't be surprised if he tops himself (or gets a "helping hand" from one of the prisoner)

The man killed his kids, he's going to get beaten daily,.
Original post by gateshipone
With the option to extend that indefinitely which I guarantee will happen. Breivik won't ever see the outside world again.

Same here, minimum of 15 years with the option to extend the sentence indefinitely.

Wrong, if Breivik acted like a changed man for the 20 year period. The court will have no case to extend his sentence.
Original post by gateshipone
The person you're asking this would be dead if they'd been stabbed to death, so I doubt they'd give a damn...

You're an idiot for saying that.
Wrong, if Breivik acted like a changed man for the 20 year period. The court will have no case to extend his sentence.

You really think they won't find a way to prove he's faking it or find a loophole to keep him locked up? There's no way a mass murdering extremist will be released.
(edited 11 years ago)

Truth is, people like you have no experience of what its like to lose someone to murder and see their killers get soft sentences. You would never understand the pain people like myself have gone through.

You just look at it from an outside perspective, Trying to play the equality man.

With the utmost respect, whilst I can't understand what you feel, the equality card and outside perspective is what is needed by society. Vengeance and Aggression lead to the worst decisions. You do need a completely outside person to make the correct one. This is why Captains of ships, detectives and leaders will step down if they become to emotionally attached to the situation. Because it will lead to poor decision making if they do not.
Reply 38
Original post by WaceMindu
Whether he can be rehabilitated or not is not the point. He needs to be treated the same as any other prisoner with regards to his sentencing, and the possibility of parole is going to affect the way he behaves in prison.

But to be honest this whole debate is moot as I wouldn't be surprised if he tops himself (or gets a "helping hand" from one of the prisoner)

The man killed his kids, he's going to get beaten daily,.

People may attempt to beat him but this man has a very strong ego, temper, confidence etc and he may be the aggressor. He may even have followers because of his domineering personality. I wouldn't be surprised if he kills someone in prison because he may find that his celebrity lifestyle gives him the attention he needs.
Is OP doing a Daily Mail internship? :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending