The Student Room Group

Should I drop Resistant Material GCSE?

I've picked Resistant Material (Technology) and it's not Systems or Graphic, it's like drawing and making stuff. Now I do like Resistant Material but the problem is I also want to do Sociology, so I when I go back to school I have to choose if I want to change a subject. Nowadays people are more advanced in technology, using Systems etc, so this is my concern, will it get my anywhere? Sociology seems like a fun subject for me, so what do you guys think, is it more practical to do GCSE resistmant material or sociology in the long run?
(edited 11 years ago)
neither of these subjects will get you anywhere when studied to just GCSE level just pick the one you think you will enjoy the most and get the higher grade. the more important GCSE's are maths, english and science tbh as they play bigger role when applying to uni/college/six form than subjects like sociology and resistant material

So just go for what you enjoy :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by madmadmax321
neither of these subjects will get you anywhere when studied to just GCSE level just pick the one you think you will enjoy the most and get the higher grade. the more important GCSE's are maths, english and science tbh as they play bigger role when applying to uni/college/six form than subjects like sociology and resistant material

So just go for what you enjoy :smile:

But I will need some other GCSE if I am to proceed to doing some subjects in 6th Form.
Original post by Pendulum3
But I will need some other GCSE if I am to proceed to doing some subjects in 6th Form.

Not for most subjects i.e. I wouldn't of needed sociology GCSE for A-level sociology and the same geography and so on....]

My opinion is just pick what you enjoy i.e if you enjoy sociology do sociology but if you prefer resistant materials then do resistant materials

tbh if you are going to pick the subject because you need it to do it at A-level but don't enjoy it at GCSE then why would you want to do it at A-level
I've picked Resistant Material (Technology) and it's not Systems or Graphic, it's like drawing and making stuff. Now I do like Resistant Material but the problem is I also want to do Sociology, so I when I go back to school I have to choose if I want to change a subject. Nowadays people are more advanced in technology, using Systems etc, so this is my concern, will it get my anywhere? Sociology seems like a fun subject for me, so what do you guys think, is it more practical to do GCSE resistmant material or sociology in the long run?

Sociology will be your biggest regret.
Reply 5
Original post by siwelmail
Sociology will be your biggest regret.

How comes?
Resistant Materials is actually very similar to Graphics, except Graphics is more about how it's made rather than the materials used.

Do whichever one you prefer as you probably won't be doing either at A-Level. If you want to do a Humanities subject such as Geography or History, Sociology might help but really isn't necessary. Sociology is basically like RS, minus the religious teachings but instead how things are viewed by people in modern society.

Either choice won't really affect you unless you want to do a related subject at A-Level, so choose whichever you think you'd enjoy more or succeed more/get a higher grade in.
Reply 7
Original post by yellowcopter
Resistant Materials is actually very similar to Graphics, except Graphics is more about how it's made rather than the materials used.

Do whichever one you prefer as you probably won't be doing either at A-Level. If you want to do a Humanities subject such as Geography or History, Sociology might help but really isn't necessary. Sociology is basically like RS, minus the religious teachings but instead how things are viewed by people in modern society.

Either choice won't really affect you unless you want to do a related subject at A-Level, so choose whichever you think you'd enjoy more or succeed more/get a higher grade in.

Thanks.
How comes?

Worst subject ever.

Nobody wants it.
Reply 9
Original post by siwelmail
Worst subject ever.

Nobody wants it.

I think I might be going for it, I'm interested in the stuff Sociology covers.

Quick Reply

Latest