The Student Room Group

**The "North Korea Watch 2013" Update Thread**

Scroll to see replies

In North Korea's sights: Baengnyeong islanders prepare for the worst

Islanders at the centre of the world's last cold war conflict are divided over how seriously they should take Pyongyang's threats

On a clear day, it is possible to stand on the beach on Baengnyeong and make out the North Korean coastline a few miles away. The view is just one of many physical reminders that this isolated South Korean island in the Yellow Sea could be the first to come under attack, should the crisis now engulfing the Korean peninsula turn into conflict....

....Experts may dismiss Pyongyang's recent threats to rain nuclear missiles on the US mainland as bombast by an attention-seeking dictator, but its promise to target Baengnyeong is being taken seriously.

"My children on the mainland call me every day because they're so worried," says a 50-year-old woman who asked to be identified only by her surname, Lee. "What else can I say except reassure them that everything is OK?
"People say they are not worried, but in truth I'm terrified. North Korea has attacked this area before. How are we supposed to stay calm?"

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Narutopolaris
Nope...the difference between those conflicts and North Korea is that the latter could use Nuclear Weapons; something that we have never witnessed before in our lifetimes....

Oh right OK. War is suddenly more exciting and gains a whole new classification when nuclear warheads are used.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stuart_aitken
Oh right OK. War is suddenly more exciting and gains a whole new classification when nuclear warheads are used.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it sort of does...hence why Hiroshima was more exciting than Howitzers- and they do have a different classification; Nuclear Weapons....
The North Korean leader must be living in a movie or video game, he's ****i** crazy as shi*
Guardian - North Korea 'ratifies' nuclear attack on US

[video="youtube;AgyyRxzpgoE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgyyRxzpgoE[/video]
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Narutopolaris
Well it sort of does...hence why Hiroshima was more exciting than Howitzers- and they do have a different classification; Nuclear Weapons....

You have a really odd and possibly romanticised concept of war.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DavidFlynn96
The North Korean leader must be living in a movie or video game, he's ****i** crazy as shi*

I think he's been playing too much "Homefront" and watching too many replays of "Red Dawn the remake"!

Posted from TSR Mobile

He seems to confuse reading interesting and dissociative military history with the actual horror and terror of real war.
Reply 188
Original post by anonymouspie227
I don't like war. Too many suffer.

There's no war in North Korea at the moment, yet that country is an absolute holocaust of suffering. I cannot imagine how much worse it could possibly be. If war brings down the regime, I would say it's absolutely justified.
Not sure why everybody is so sure that these threats are empty. Sure, the rationale there is that NK has never followed through on its threats before, but it's never threatened to nuke the South before, so this isn't necessarily the same situation as we've seen before.
Forgive me but could someone explain what is happening? What reason does North Korea have exactly for wanting to start a war? Clearly they have nothing better to do, the world does not need this.
Unless by cutting edge NK mean mirv delivery systems (or lots and lots of spare missiles for decoys) I think its unlikely they'd be able to get a missile past the defences. Tho I suppose they could take the Vietnam 'bomb in a coke can in the street likely too be thoughtlessly kicked by passing Americans' approach and come up with something totally unorthodox.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 192

Posted from TSR Mobile

...and of course, you were there at Ypres and Stalingrad and My Lai. You've seen it, man.
Reply 193
Original post by Sophie1994
Forgive me but could someone explain what is happening? What reason does North Korea have exactly for wanting to start a war? Clearly they have nothing better to do, the world does not need this.

The guy was brought up being told he was basically the son of an earthbound god. He was brought up being told that he will command the greatest people on earth against its enemies (that's everyone). He was told he can do anything to anyone, and it's his destiny.

So when he grows up to be a nutcase, you can't really be surprised.
Original post by Clip
...and of course, you were there at Ypres and Stalingrad and My Lai. You've seen it, man.

Eh? OK I'll have to wait until I've seen battle - nuclear and non-nuclear - before I can comment on how awful war is. My bad.

Maybe I should play more call of duty, watch a load of war films and generally desensitise myself a bit more until I think differently.

Because you're right, my opinions maybe are a little misguided right now. War is probably brilliant. I just don't know enough about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Original post by HumanSupremacist
Link: http://news.sky.com/story/1073563/n-korea-warns-of-merciless-nuclear-strike

Are we fast approaching war?

The "rhetoric" has really ratcheted up, more than before - just today, the United States Secretary of Defense Chick Hagel said they present a clear and present danger.

Hagel further said that North Korea had nuclear capability and a capable missile delivery system (I thought they didn't?). Now the United States government is moving a missile defence system to Guam (although that's just common sense and to be expected by any other nation).

What do you think?

I read that it was a response to US war aircraft patrolling above North Korean land (Bing Daily site). If this is true, they're bound to be pissed off - but should attempt to discuss before taking further action.
If not...well...it's highly unlikely they'd randomly prepare for an attack on the world's foremost superpower.
Reply 197
Eh? OK I'll have to wait until I've seen battle - nuclear and non-nuclear - before I can comment on how awful war is. My bad.

Maybe I should play more call of duty, watch a load of war films and generally desensitise myself a bit more until I think differently.

Because you're right, my opinions maybe are a little misguided right now. War is probably brilliant. I just don't know enough about it.

You're telling someone else their notion of something is a romantic and glamorous (and wrong). You do acknowledge that you don't really know what you're talking about - but you want to sound like a wise old head anyway.

Asinus asinum fricat. One virgin telling another how great fellatio feels.
The Prime Minister said he was “very concerned” about the threat from North Korea and warned that Pyongyang now has capabilities to strike the United States and Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9972193/Cameron-It-is-a-fact-that-North-Korea-could-launch-a-nuclear-strike-against-the-UK.html

:s-smilie:
Original post by Clip
You're telling someone else their notion of something is a romantic and glamorous (and wrong). You do acknowledge that you don't really know what you're talking about - but you want to sound like a wise old head anyway.

Asinus asinum fricat. One virgin telling another how great fellatio feels.

Yes and you want to sound like an over-educated know-it-all whose memory for Latin quotes makes their argument stronger.

Still don't get why you're defending the glorification of war. I guess it's the disassociated voyeuristic stance you can take since in this instance it doesn't directly affecting you in any way. Which is a product of desensitisation thanks to all forms of media.

My ex girlfriend is Korean and the thought of someone enjoying the idea of her (and many of my friends) being nuclear bombed hits a nerve.

But yeah you're right. I don't know anything about it. Let's all go and annihilate each other. It's probably great - I have no idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending