The Student Room Group

Anyone ever had a 'Friend with Benefits?'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Wish I could.
I have a few friends who I occasionally sleep with...sometimes we just hang out at each other's house and drink and talk ****, or we go out and hang out in London, go to the cinema or whatever. And sometimes we have sex.

I think it works if both you and your friend regard sex as a fun, sociable activity to do and don't attach any romantic meaning to sex with each other. That doesn't work for everyone of course because for some people sex is a very deep, emotional activity, but for other people (like me) it's just funtimes. :smile:

(And of course you have to be on the same page regarding contraception and barrier protection.)
I have, it all got complicated because feelings got involved and long distance relationships suck.

Original post by Eboracum
Anyone reading this believing that we as a society have lost our morals and need to re-evaluate?

No, I think people are able to be more open about sex now and personally i enjoy sex.
I'm a girl and I don't have any trouble pulling usually, but it's something I would consider even so. Oddly enough I wouldn't do one night stands with a guy I'd, say, met in a club, but FWB is different in that you can be surer the guy isn't a freak in disguise or something (it'd have to be someone I was at least acquainted with first)
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a girl and I don't have any trouble pulling usually, but it's something I would consider even so. Oddly enough I wouldn't do one night stands with a guy I'd, say, met in a club, but FWB is different in that you can be surer the guy isn't a freak in disguise or something (it'd have to be someone I was at least acquainted with first)

Definitely agree with this, odds are if you're out you'll be drinking and your judgement is impaired regarding who you're going home with, taking precautions and generally being safe.
Reply 25
Original post by concubine
Several.

Never had any problems.

People often make out that it can't work, but that's just the case if you're immature/idiots.

I would have never guessed from your name that you had friends with benefits :teehee:
When will it be my turn?
Original post by edithwashere
I started sleeping with my flatmate, we decided it was better not being in a relationship as we're both very open minded and wanted the freedom to sleep with other people if we wanted. People who don't know us usually assume we're boyfriend and girlfriend because we live together, but we did try being monogamous for a while and it wasn't for us. Open friends-with-benefits relationship was just what worked for the two of us :smile:

What will you do when one of you wants to settle down? Would you find it awkward to tell him that there's someone you want to be monogamous with so you have to stop? And if that person you settled with wasn't happy with you hanging out with your ex FWB would you be ok with not seeing him anymore?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Beckyweck
What will you do when one of you wants to settle down? Would you find it awkward to tell him that there's someone you want to be monogamous with so you have to stop? And if that person you settled with wasn't happy with you hanging out with your ex FWB would you be ok with not seeing him anymore?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither of us has found anybody else in 2 years that we wanted to date, let alone settle down with. We've got seperate rooms in our flat and get on great, I think if one of us did get a partner, then we'd adapt and just stop sleeping together, no biggie.

We both dislike monogamy, so I don't think either of us will be getting into a relationship with somebody else that's exclusive. If I did settle, and that person wanted me to stop seeing my ex FWB, I would break up with them. He is my best friend, regardless of the sex. I wouldn't give him up for anything :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Eboracum
Anyone reading this believing that we as a society have lost our morals and need to re-evaluate?

Not really. Also, if you are a foreigner living in the UK on a non-permanent basis I don't see what other alternatives there are since prostitution is illegal / severely frowned upon if an employer finds out about it.
Original post by effofex
Not really. Also, if you are a foreigner living in the UK on a non-permanent basis I don't see what other alternatives there are since prostitution is illegal / severely frowned upon if an employer finds out about it.

Prostitution - as in exchanging money for sexual services - isn't illegal, but lots of the activities around prostitution such as street walking and pimping are illegal. /pedant

It is frowned upon but I guess most prostitutes would be very discreet. And very expensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending