The Student Room Group

What do you think of these watches? blue or black face?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Silver Arrow
Funny, i thought it was the other way round; older gentlemen wear the metal straps. Personally i'm not a fan of metal.
The best way to decide what you'd like is to go to a high end watch shop like Goldsmiths or whatever and whatever and try on both leather and metal straps to see which you'd prefer.
What's your budget?

£100-£250ish, but preferably £175-£200 but I understand the need to pay a slight premium for Swiss watches.

I'll probably do that, I'll see how much I can save between now and the end of the academic year, should be between £2,700 and £3,000, so I should be happy to spend.
(edited 11 years ago)
Out of the two I prefer the black
Original post by Makebelieve15
£100-£250ish, but preferably £175-£200 but I understand the need to pay a slight premium for Swiss watches.

I'll probably do that, I'll see how much I can save between now and the end of the academic year, should be between £2,700 and £3,000, so I should be happy to spend.

With your budget, then Tissot is the best you can do. Rotary is another brand too but i don't think it's as nice as Tissot.

A good quality Swiss watch would start from around £800 and can be practically unlimited. Can you really afford to spend £2k + on a watch as a student?
Original post by Silver Arrow
With your budget, then Tissot is the best you can do. Rotary is another brand too but i don't think it's as nice as Tissot.

A good quality Swiss watch would start from around £800 and can be practically unlimited. Can you really afford to spend £2k + on a watch as a student?

Nah, precisely my thoughts. Tissot is the best. Would you recommend any non-swiss brands? I've had a Seiko and Rotary but wanted to try true swiss. Thoughts?

I know the cheapest Tag Heuer is nice, but I wouldn't even wear that 'out' and could get a nice Omega for the special occasions.
Reply 24
Personally, I prefer the black. Looks more expensive.
I'm after a skeleton watch myself :smile:
Similar to this:
http://www.thewatchhut.co.uk/Kenneth-Cole-Gents-Watch-KC3981.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
The black one's better. :smile:
Original post by Kage
Personally, I prefer the black. Looks more expensive.
I'm after a skeleton watch myself :smile:

Spoiler

This is quite a nice one by Rotary: http://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/mw6347/rotary-skeleton-mechanical-men's-watch?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=feedmanager&gclid=CLuayLqjr7YCFcLHtAodjAsA6Q
Reply 27

Yeah, and they look even better when they are running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7TM94fLutY

They tend to be all see through. The reasoning behind the term skeleton watches.
Most are also automatic, so they don't need batteries. They may need winding up from time to time, but mostly, they rely on kinetic energy to wind up.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kage
Yeah, and they look even better when they are running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7TM94fLutY

tempted to get one now haha, I was considering one before, but not sure :/

Lovely timepiece however :smile:, one for the future
Reply 29
I've got a PR100, with the leather strap. My arms are too hairy for metal straps and I've heard they can wear down shirt sleeves too. Nice watch, looks far better in the flesh than on any online galleries. I wear it as an everyday watch to complement an Oris for posher events.

I'd definitely go for the black face if you're set on the metal straps, the blue looks quite tacky. That said, the pictures might not do it justice. Are you intending to buy online? I got a better feel for watches visiting a shop, and once I'd tried a few on my choice changed. Make sure it looks right with what you like to wear. Also, the shops can be cheaper, I got my PR100 for £115 with the leather strap, it's £130 online.

2012-03-03 19.49.48.jpg
Original post by Snammus
I've got a PR100, with the leather strap. My arms are too hairy for metal straps and I've heard they can wear down shirt sleeves too. Nice watch, looks far better in the flesh than on any online galleries. I wear it as an everyday watch to complement an Oris for posher events.

I'd definitely go for the black face if you're set on the metal straps, the blue looks quite tacky. That said, the pictures might not do it justice. Are you intending to buy online? I got a better feel for watches visiting a shop, and once I'd tried a few on my choice changed. Make sure it looks right with what you like to wear. Also, the shops can be cheaper, I got my PR100 for £115 with the leather strap, it's £130 online.

2012-03-03 19.49.48.jpg

Ah, decision, decisions. Could you tell me something, why has Tissot released about a dozen different watches under the PR100 branding? I like your pair, very nice :biggrin:
Nah, precisely my thoughts. Tissot is the best. Would you recommend any non-swiss brands? I've had a Seiko and Rotary but wanted to try true swiss. Thoughts?

I know the cheapest Tag Heuer is nice, but I wouldn't even wear that 'out' and could get a nice Omega for the special occasions.

Seiko is the only non-Swiss i can think of atm. But like i said, visit a high end shop to see what you like and then shop for the watch you like online where it'll be cheaper.
Reply 32
Ah, decision, decisions. Could you tell me something, why has Tissot released about a dozen different watches under the PR100 branding? I like your pair, very nice :biggrin:

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm guessing it's the same mechanisms underneath the face, and just different "trims" on the outside

I just remembered TW Steel is another very good brand and watches go for about £250 +
Reply 34
If you don't care about the company being Swiss, have a look at Sea-Gull - they make some of the best value Chinese watches. Saw an automatic column-wheel chronograph with a moon phase for about £220 the other day!
Reply 35
Another brand I first saw reccomended here too - Christopher Ward

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/
Reply 36
Black :smile:
Reply 37
Doesn't leather wear off, especially in the summer months when you sweat?

I don't have much arm hair..yet...if i ever will lol

Probably does...my leather belt has started to wear off and i only worn it for like 3 months.

Someday....you will go through puberty!
Original post by Ben_Dover
Probably does...my leather belt has started to wear off and i only worn it for like 3 months.

Someday....you will go through puberty!

lmao, I'm nearly 19
Reply 39
Seiko watches are often regarded as cheap, but the craftsmanship in them is incredible.

These brands might be out your budget but have a look at:

Hamilton
Frederique Constant
Philip Watch

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending