The Student Room Group

Can someone help? :S

How would I answer this question?

If Company A’s market cap is twice as large as Company B’s, and Company B’s market cap is three times as large as Company C’s, what is Company C’s market cap if all three market caps add up to £70m?
Reply 1
Here's a hint: Let Company C's market cap be "x"
Reply 2
Original post by BananaPie
Here's a hint: Let Company C's market cap be "x"

So would it be x + x^2 + x^3 = 70? As that's what I was thinking before :s-smilie:
I wrote out the entire thing as equations.

A = 2B
B = 3C

A+B+C = 70

and then worked from there. Although I probably wouldn't take my advice, I haven't done maths in about 6 months...still my answer worked when you subbed it back in...give it a go :smile:
Original post by shiv0203
So would it be x + x^2 + x^3 = 70? As that's what I was thinking before :s-smilie:

x3x^3 does not mean 3×x3 \times x.
Reply 5

What you've written there is wrong. Read the question carefully and you'll get the answer. =]
You don't want x+2x+3x=70x+2x+3x=70 either by the way. Read the question very carefully.
Reply 7
Original post by BananaPie
What you've written there is wrong. Read the question carefully and you'll get the answer. =]

Yeah I just realised I was over thinking it lol.
Reply 8
Original post by Mr M
You don't want x+2x+3x=70x+2x+3x=70 either by the way. Read the question very carefully.

C should be 7 right?
C should be 7 right?

Yes but do you have an algebraic method now or did you just use trial and improvement?
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M
Yes but do you have an algebraic method now or did you just use trial and improvement?

Yes I have a method I just applied it wrong, I incorrectly assumed I should be making them exponentials. I don't think I could have used trial and improvement for a question like that...
Yes I have a method I just applied it wrong, I incorrectly assumed I should be making them exponentials. I don't think I could have used trial and improvement for a question like that...

Trial and improvement is actually easy.

Pick a number for C (e.g. 10)

B is three times as big as C (e.g. 30)

A is twice as big as B (e.g. 60)

But 10 + 30 + 60 = 100 and this is too big.

Pick a smaller value for C and repeat.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Mr M
Trial and improvement is actually easy.

Pick a number for C (e.g. 10)

B is three times as big as C (e.g. 30)

A is twice as big as B (e.g. 60)

But 10 + 30 + 60 = 100 and this is too big.

Pick a smaller value for C and repeat.

Lol that's rather tedious, who would spend time doing that? But yeah I guess you're right trial and error could work...

Quick Reply

Latest