The Student Room Group

Transfer help and advice

I am a Scottish fresher at the University of Bath and unfortunately due to family circumstances and a number of other reasons I need to move back home to Edinburgh this year. I really want to continue my studies (French and German) but I know that I have massively missed the UCAS deadline for transfers. I would have applied back at Christmas time if I'd known I'd need to transfer but circumstances have changed since then. I got 5 As at Higher and 3 As at Advanced Higher and received a first in every module I've been graded in so far at uni. I would really appreciate some advice on what the chances of a Scottish uni, preferably Edinburgh, accepting me for second year entry would be. I know I would probably have to apply for entry into the second year in 2014 but is there any chance a uni would consider me this late for 2013 entry?
Reply 1
Original post by scotsgirl94
I am a Scottish fresher at the University of Bath and unfortunately due to family circumstances and a number of other reasons I need to move back home to Edinburgh this year. I really want to continue my studies (French and German) but I know that I have massively missed the UCAS deadline for transfers. I would have applied back at Christmas time if I'd known I'd need to transfer but circumstances have changed since then. I got 5 As at Higher and 3 As at Advanced Higher and received a first in every module I've been graded in so far at uni. I would really appreciate some advice on what the chances of a Scottish uni, preferably Edinburgh, accepting me for second year entry would be. I know I would probably have to apply for entry into the second year in 2014 but is there any chance a uni would consider me this late for 2013 entry?

The French and German course (RR12) at Edinburgh is closed for all applications, so I would say chances are practically none. What you could do is contact the department at Edinburgh and state your case to them, you never know.

Herriot-Watt doesn't have a course in French and German but they do have French and Applied Languages sciences (or German), and they still accept new applications for these courses, so you could apply to them now if you have to be in Edinburgh at all costs. Just make sure to contact them first to ask if they will consider you, sometimes the UCAS system is not updated.
Reply 2
Thanks so much for your reply. To be honest, I would much rather be at Edinburgh so I would prefer to wait and apply for 2nd year entry in 2014. Do you have any idea how competitive second year entrance is? I would hope that having achieved a first in 1st year and having got all As at school I would have a good chance but I don't know too much about it.
Reply 3
Original post by scotsgirl94
Thanks so much for your reply. To be honest, I would much rather be at Edinburgh so I would prefer to wait and apply for 2nd year entry in 2014. Do you have any idea how competitive second year entrance is? I would hope that having achieved a first in 1st year and having got all As at school I would have a good chance but I don't know too much about it.

Unfortunately I know as much as you, I can only guess that like all courses at Edinburgh it will be competitive, as the page regarding transfers suggests http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/applications-admissions/applying/transfer

Your best bet is to email the department stating your case, asking if perhaps they can still consider you for 2013 entry with extenuating circumstances for not applying in time, and if not, the chances of being granted entry in year 2 in 2014. I'm sure they are the best suited to advise you. The email of the department is [email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending