The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
perhaps someone can help me with this

Benzoicacid and phenylmethanol will react with each other in the presence of asuitable catalyst.
(i) Statea suitable catalyst for this reaction.
........................................................................................................................
[1]
Reply 401
Original post by Zzzyax
perhaps someone can help me with this

Benzoicacid and phenylmethanol will react with each other in the presence of asuitable catalyst.
(i) Statea suitable catalyst for this reaction.
........................................................................................................................
[1]

concentrated H2SO4?
Original post by otrivine
concentrated H2SO4?

:nope: dilute H2SO4
Reply 403
Original post by Plato's Trousers

Really, in our book its always concentrated! why is it dilute

My teacher and book tell me that it is concentrated :confused:
Reply 405

Dr Stuart, why is ClCH2CH2CL

only have a singlet , Should it not be pentet?
Reply 406
Really, in our book its always concentrated! why is it dilute

Original post by Jodie_668
My teacher and book tell me that it is concentrated :confused:

To form an ester from an acid and alcohol it is most definitely catalysed by conc sulfuric acid. This is because this is a reversible reaction and you can hydrolyse the ester by using a dilut acid, hence why a conc acid is used to favour the forward reaction: esterification

Hope this clears things up.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 407
Dr Stuart, why is ClCH2CH2CL

only have a singlet , Should it not be pentet?

If you dont mind me answering, I wanna test my understanding. The protons in the molecule are all in the same proton environment, hence there are no neighbouring 'different'
Protons. so therefore using the n+1 rule, 0+1= 1 so it is a singlet
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 408
Original post by ZakRob
If you dont mind me answering, I wanna test my understanding. The protons in the molecule are all in the same proton environment, hence there are no neighbouring 'different'
Protons. so therefore using the n+1 rule, 0+1= 1 so it is a singlet
Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct!
Original post by ZakRob
To form an ester from an acid and alcohol it is most definitely catalysed by conc sulfuric acid. This is because this is a reversible reaction and you can hydrolyse the ester by using a dilut acid, hence why a conc acid is used to favour the forward reaction: esterification

Hope this clears things up.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 410
Is there a mistake on question 6 on page 105 , compound E, there has to be 1 triplet as well because CH2 is present so if you add one , there should be 3?
Reply 411
Does anybody by any chance have a copy of the January 2013 F324 question paper and mark scheme?
Reply 412
Original post by MathsNerd1
Thanks, also just going to warn you now, at 9 I'll be stopping to do some unit 1 revision. But that's 45 minutes from now so it's all good :smile:

It's question 7 (4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You got the question
Is there a mistake on question 6 on page 105 , compound E, there has to be 1 triplet as well because CH2 is present so if you add one , there should be 3?

This is to answer your question.

The problems with kekules structure are that it failed to explain the chemical and physical properties of benzene fully. Mainly being benzene's low reactivity because if carbon carbon double bonds were present then it would react in a similar way to alkenes mainly expecting to decolourise when reacting with bromine water. But this doesn't happen. So the structure had to be refined to account for this property.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 414
This is to answer your question.

The problems with kekules structure are that it failed to explain the chemical and physical properties of benzene fully. Mainly being benzene's low reactivity because if carbon carbon double bonds were present then it would react in a similar way to alkenes mainly expecting to decolourise when reacting with bromine water. But this doesn't happen. So the structure had to be refined to account for this property.

Posted from TSR Mobile

2/3 marks, last point should have been that the enthalpy change of hydrognation of benzene is less exothermic than that of Kekule. My turn
2/3 marks, last point should have been that the enthalpy change of hydrognation of benzene is less exothermic than that of Kekule. My turn

Oh okay, my bad, I'll remember to write that aswell although it seems like quite a lot to write for 3 marks.

For you, when would you use D2O and what is it used to identify? (2)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 416
Oh okay, my bad, I'll remember to write that aswell although it seems like quite a lot to write for 3 marks.

For you, when would you use D2O and what is it used to identify? (2)

Posted from TSR Mobile

D2O is a deuterating solvent and is an isotope of hydrogen. It is used in NMR spectrums. You would use D2O if there are any OH and NH groups present and it is used so that it does not show up in the NMR spectrum of both carbon and proton as the OH and NH have no splitting patterns and have a wide range and broad range of different chemical shifts depending on concentration and solvent used of D2O. It results in proton exchange in which the hydrogen gets replaced in OH and NH.
D2O is a deuterating solvent and is an isotope of hydrogen. It is used in NMR spectrums. You would use D2O if there are any OH and NH groups present and it is used so that it does not show up in the NMR spectrum of both carbon and proton as the OH and NH have no splitting patterns and have a wide range and broad range of different chemical shifts depending on concentration and solvent used of D2O. It results in proton exchange in which the hydrogen gets replaced in OH and NH.

That's correct!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 418
That's correct!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile:

Suggest why amino acids have isoelectric points (1)
seriously need the f324/f325 jan 2013 papers please someone upload!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending