The Student Room Group

Imperial vs. Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SaraWarah
This is the average UCAS points which students have when they arrive. Imperial students on average achieve way higher than their offer, at 553 points, whereas Manchester ones get 421.

Cambridge offers are roughly the same as most other top RG unis, but their students arrive with significantly better grades. Oxford are at 572, Cambridge at 589 (with 600+ for several courses, for example).

that does not mean the university demands less though, or that it is sub par, it simply means, for various reasons, people probably choose Imperial over Manchester. That is personal to them though, i'd bet a lot are swayed by the "prestiege" though, like you, or it could be that london is a much nicer city than manchester or more practical.

it also depends whether this figure is an average amalgamation over all subjects, or just concerning life sciences. i'd say imperial is stronger in other areas than manchester which will warp the figures.
Reply 41
Original post by Fleurie
that does not mean the university demands less though, or that it is sub par, it simply means, for various reasons, people probably choose Imperial over Manchester. That is personal to them though, i'd bet a lot are swayed by the "prestiege" though, like you, or it could be that london is a much nicer city than manchester or more practical.

it also depends whether this figure is an average amalgamation over all subjects, or just concerning life sciences. i'd say imperial is stronger in other areas than manchester which will warp the figures.

Well that's what I said. I said that the students there will be better, which is backed up by these statistics.

I didn't go to Imperial, anyway.
Reply 42
Original post by Ry_p94
Anyone choosing a university based on so called "prestige" is an idiot. I preferred Manchester - the university itself, the course & the cost of living - so I firmed Manchester and declined Imperial.

Also, to the absolute c*** who said you'll be amongst "more intelligent, more motivated students" I'd say my Manchester offer was higher than my Imperial offer.

A Manchester Physics offer is higher than an Oxford or Cambridge offer. I rest my case.

Anyone choosing a university based on prestige is just thinking ahead and considering the fact that at the end of the day, if you just wanted to learn you could sit there reading a book at home. You go to university for a degree, and where you get the degree matters.
Reply 43
A Manchester Physics offer is higher than an Oxford or Cambridge offer. I rest my case.

Anyone choosing a university based on prestige is just thinking ahead and considering the fact that at the end of the day, if you just wanted to learn you could sit there reading a book at home. You go to university for a degree, and where you get the degree matters.

My uncle did physics at Imperial - he said those were the worst three years of his life. Sure, Imperial has prestige and may have marginally (yes, marginally better job prospects) but at the cost of your happiness, would you still choose Imperial? My uncle would've chosen Manchester because based on what his friends/colleagues say, the course is more enjoyable.

If you choose a university based on prestige alone rather than factoring in everything else such as satisfaction, etc and you end up doing worse at imperial because the course content isn't to your liking, then what? A first from Manchester is much better than a 2:1 from imperial.
Reply 44
Original post by ss_s95
My uncle did physics at Imperial - he said those were the worst three years of his life. Sure, Imperial has prestige and may have marginally (yes, marginally better job prospects) but at the cost of your happiness, would you still choose Imperial? My uncle would've chosen Manchester because based on what his friends/colleagues say, the course is more enjoyable.

If you choose a university based on prestige alone rather than factoring in everything else such as satisfaction, etc and you end up doing worse at imperial because the course content isn't to your liking, then what? A first from Manchester is much better than a 2:1 from imperial.

Also a 1st from Uni of Mcdonalds is better than a 2:2 from Oxbridge.
Nice..

Imperial students achieve better grades and study more difficult courses. They've probably done better to get to Imperial.

Plenty of rankings

Plenty of people I know didn't even consider Manchester as a fifth option, choosing, say, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Bristol.

Average UCAS points of Imperial students: 553, vs. 421 at Manchester..

So you're saying somebody who achieves A*A*A and goes to study physics at Manchester is stupider than someone who goes to Imperial to study the same thing with the same grades?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Don't be stupid.

That's just a ranking of how many firms pitch up to careers fairs, and has absolutely no say on how employers target universities.

Nobody is going to pick Warwick graduates over Oxbridge/Imperial graduates unless the Warwick ones actually proved themselves to be better.

Why else do you think that Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL students enjoy access to prestigious careers which no other universities will grant access to? You won't find very many Sheffield students at the Bar in London, you won't find many at MC law firms, or at top banking jobs.

Look at the list again and tell me you managed not to burst out laughing.
Warwick
Nottingham
Manchester
Cambridge
Bristol
Durham
Oxford
Birmingham
Bath
Leeds
Sheffield
Imperial
Lougborough
LSE
UCL

Clearly LSE and UCL graduates are just sub-standard compared to the elite folks over at Sheffield :rolleyes:

When Cambridge and Oxford take world top 5 spots for employer reputation (and overall reputation, too), you have to question a ranking's accuracy when they are placed #4 and #7 in the UK..

LOL

love how these northern folk are always bringing up the Tesco target uni's for store managers as if it counts for anything.

so yes, I agree with the majority Imperial all the way.
Original post by the mezzil
So you're saying somebody who achieves AAA and goes to study physics at Manchester is stupider than someone who goes to Imperial to study the same thing with the same grades?

The minimum entry for Physics at Manchester is A*A*A, therefore your question is not valid.
Original post by TooIntelligent
The minimum entry for Physics at Manchester is A*A*A, therefore your question is not valid.

Alright, A*A*A then.
Alright, A*A*A then.

Imperial Student >>>>>>>>>>>>> Manchester Student

Any day.

EDIT: I AM NOT BIASED AS I APPLIED TO MANCHESTER.
There's a reason the University of Manchester is the most applied for university by UK students. Not only is it a reputable university, it probably has the best overall student experience in the UK. Having lived in both cities, all the students I know in London hate the fact that they can only afford 2 nights per month and can only go to clubs where the majority of people are over 21 whereas Manchester has without a doubt the best nightlife in the country. If you go to university in London, you simply do not have the full student experience. Sure you will be at a 'better' university, but you won't have had as much fun as you could in. Manchester has so much more to offer to students. London is good if your 22 ! Manchester is the obvious choice.
Reply 51
Original post by KatyJF
I also applied to Durham and Bristol, but neither were as good as Imperial or Manchester.

The main issue I have with Imperial is the accommodation costs, which is why I am leaning towards Manchester, as it is so much cheaper. The Life Science Faculty at Manchester is huge, which brings the benefits of lots of choice regarding modules, placements as well as excellent facilities and academic staff. Manchester seemed friendlier than Imperial.
However, Imperial has an excellent reputation and is in the science hub of the UK. The university gets lots of funding for research and is obviously very science-orientated!

Borrow the money for accommodation if you need to. I would not be surprised the difference in potential pay between what you will make as an Imperial grad vs being a Manchester grad would repay itself about 4 times what you borrowed.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2299685&page=4&p=42077813#post42077813

Go to Imperial!
Reply 52
Might it be Manchester's Physics popularity have something to do with Brian Cox?
Imperial Student >>>>>>>>>>>>> Manchester Student

Any day.

EDIT: I AM NOT BIASED AS I APPLIED TO MANCHESTER.

On what basis though? How is a student from Imperial more academic than someone from Manchester if they have the same grades?
On what basis though? How is a student from Imperial more academic than someone from Manchester if they have the same grades?

Grades do not = intelligence. Applicants for Physics at Imperial are generally of a very high quality. Applicants for Physics at Manchester ,though, are usually unintelligent people... the amount of times I've heard people say "I applied to Manchester because it has the highest entry requirements, therefore it must be good" :rolleyes: These are the people that end up getting offers and although they may get good grades, lack the common sense and intelligence IMPERIAL student have.
Grades do not = intelligence. Applicants for Physics at Imperial are generally of a very high quality. Applicants for Physics at Manchester ,though, are usually unintelligent people... the amount of times I've heard people say "I applied to Manchester because it has the highest entry requirements, therefore it must be good" :rolleyes: These are the people that end up getting offers and although they may get good grades, lack the common sense and intelligence IMPERIAL student have.

High grades are a mixture of intelligence, the ability to sit an exam and hard work. Moreover, I have never heard of anyone saying that they applied to Manchester because it has high entry requirements, and I have also applied to Manchester, so i'm going to dismiss that as bs the same way you have just dismissed everyone from Manchester as of lacking common sense and intelligence. So please explain again how somebody who got A*A*A is unintelligent, and somebody from Imperial is superior.
Reply 56

Except you have proof for the highlighted, you are sounding exactly like the people you described.

Do you have access to Manchester's offer database and have seen most of the applicants?
Reply 57

Err maybe the course is much better, maybe they don't have to share facilities with 45k other students ?

or maybe being situated in S. Ken is 10 x better than Oxford Rd Manchester (Yes so desperate they couldn't avoid copying)
High grades are a mixture of intelligence, the ability to sit an exam and hard work. Moreover, I have never heard of anyone saying that they applied to Manchester because it has high entry requirements, and I have also applied to Manchester, so i'm going to dismiss that as bs the same way you have just dismissed everyone from Manchester as of lacking common sense and intelligence. So please explain again how somebody who got A*A*A is unintelligent, and somebody from Imperial is superior.

Well that is your definition of intelligence. I have heard that from many people during my interviews etc. I will say again: good grades does not = intelligence. Imperial students have good grades and are able to apply principles to unfamiliar situations and must have had a very good personal statement/reference to have been accepted. However, Manchester pretty much accepts anyone with good predicted grades and doesn't give a sh*t about the rest of their application. (Proof from very dumb people at my interview/school who still managed to get in because of predicted grades)
Original post by Zenomorph
Err maybe the course is much better, maybe they don't have to share facilities with 45k other students ?

or maybe being situated in S. Ken is 10 x better than Oxford Rd Manchester (Yes so desperate they couldn't avoid copying)

I'm talking about pre-entry. Obviously they'll be taught a little differently at the Unis, but the content will still be roughly the same, so again I don't see how Imperial is any better than Mancheser, unless you go into post graduate research. And I don't see how streets and places have any reflection on intelligence, but go on...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending