The Student Room Group

Who took all their loans?

I have got:

£8156 for maintenance.

£4500 for tuition fee loan.

Who took the maximum of their maintenance?

It seems greedy to take all £8156 quid.
Reply 1
Feels greedy though, and I sort of feel like some benefits sponge.

I'm not sure how much £8150 is but it seems high to me possibly because I'm going London.

Wait, how come you got 3 loans? I only got two?
Reply 2
How can I get a maintenance grant? I don't know much I will need to survive in London so money will really help, my dad can't help at all.
Original post by Willbean
How can I get a maintenance grant? I don't know much I will need to survive in London so money will really help, my dad can't help at all.

If your parents income is lower than a certain amount then you will qualify for a grant. You need to consider the tuition fee loan as a separate thing and just concentrate on what they are giving you for living costs. If you're being given over 8k for your living costs then that includes your grant and you just haven't read it properly. Take it all though cos I live and study just outside London and have £7,125 to live on a year but only have about £1500 left after rent so I have to rely on money from my family even though I'm getting the maximum loan+grant package for outside London.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Is there a deadline to apply for student loans/grants ?
Reply 5
Feels greedy though, and I sort of feel like some benefits sponge.

I'm not sure how much £8150 is but it seems high to me possibly because I'm going London.

Wait, how come you got 3 loans? I only got two?

Hardly a benefits sponge when you pay back a lot more than you borrow!
Reply 6
Original post by littleone271
If your parents income is lower than a certain amount then you will qualify for a grant. You need to consider the tuition fee loan as a separate thing and just concentrate on what they are giving you for living costs. If you're being given over 8k for your living costs then that includes your grant and you just haven't read it properly. Take it all though cos I live and study just outside London and have £7,125 to live on a year but only have about £1500 left after rent so I have to rely on money from my family even though I'm getting the maximum loan+grant package for outside London.

£7,124?! How hell can I even survive then?

Here is what it says on Student Finance:

You may be entitled to a maximum Maintenance Loan of £8156.00. If you want to receive the maximum amount available to you, select Maximum from the choices below. If you want to receive less than the maximum amount available, select Other and specify the amount you would like.

You may be entitled to a maximum Tuition Fee Loan of £4500.00. If you want to receive the maximum amount available to you, select Maximum from the choices below. If you want to receive less than the maximum amount available, select Other and specify the amount you would like.
£7,124?! How hell can I even survive then?

Here is what it says on Student Finance:

You may be entitled to a maximum Maintenance Loan of £8156.00. If you want to receive the maximum amount available to you, select Maximum from the choices below. If you want to receive less than the maximum amount available, select Other and specify the amount you would like.

You may be entitled to a maximum Tuition Fee Loan of £4500.00. If you want to receive the maximum amount available to you, select Maximum from the choices below. If you want to receive less than the maximum amount available, select Other and specify the amount you would like.

Well that sounds very confusing.. Your Tuition fees are only £4500?!
Reply 8
Well that sounds very confusing.. Your Tuition fees are only £4500?!

Foundation year.

Skipped a few A levels for work experience as an Apprentice, big mistake. Got high enough grades to ignore Foundation year yet not enough to do the first year of a degree.

I'm floating in between. Suckish situation.
Foundation year.

Skipped a few A levels for work experience as an Apprentice, big mistake. Got high enough grades to ignore Foundation year yet not enough to do the first year of a degree.

I'm floating in between. Suckish situation.

Fair enough... But yeah you'll need all the money you can get if you're living in London with no savings or financial support from family to speak of... Have you thought about studying outside of London?
Reply 10
Fair enough... But yeah you'll need all the money you can get if you're living in London with no savings or financial support from family to speak of... Have you thought about studying outside of London?

Unconditional, others were Conditional. I'm not risking it, I just want to get away as far as possible from my home town, family and workplace.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending