How does A* Chemistry work? UMS Wise?

Please Help:

Unit 1: B
Unit 2: A
Unit 3: A

Overall AS Level: A
Unit 4: B (Retaking)
Unit 5: Pending in June
Unit 6: On like 30/40 or something which apparently is a B/C, still got like 2 more tries to get like 34-36/40 which is an A

What do I have to do to get an A*?

Is it only an A at AS then over 90% Average UMS wise in A2?

I am very confused. I don't want to retake Unit 1 if I don't have to to get an A*.

I'm on OCR. Does the same apply to Phyiscs

Rep for anyone who can help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Better
Please Help:

Yes.

You need 270/300 UMS over the A2 units, that is:

F324 - which is out of 90
F325 - which is out of 150
F326 (the practicals) - which are out of 60 in total (UMS)

In addition to this you need at least 480/600 UMS across both the AS and the A2 units.

The same applies for all subjects (90% at A2, and 80% overall) except for mathematics and further mathematics it is a tiny bit different (read up on it if you want).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Better
Please Help:

Unit 1: B
Unit 2: A
Unit 3: A

Overall AS Level: A
Unit 4: B (Retaking)
Unit 5: Pending in June
Unit 6: On like 30/40 or something which apparently is a B/C, still got like 2 more tries to get like 34-36/40 which is an A

What do I have to do to get an A*?

I am very confused. I don't want to retake Unit 1 if I don't have to to get an A*.

I'm on OCR. Does the same apply to Phyiscs

I think you're right in what you're saying...I'm doing OCR Chemistry too and I've been told I need to average 90% on the two exams and the practical assessment for A2 level (270/300 UMS).

I think as long as you got an A overall for AS you're still able to get the A* :smile:

I expect the same would apply for Physics, but I'm not completely sure on that one.

Hope that helps!
I'm assuming you do OCR A, because you haven't mentioned anything about the hell-bent coursework. I'm not sure how much each unit weighs towards your final grade, if you can get me those, we can go from there.

EDIT: Nevermind, you've got great help already! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Quest
Yes.

In addition to this you need at least 480/600 UMS across both the AS and the A2 units.

I'm sorry to have repeated what you just said, I didn't know you had posted until I submitted mine!
Reply 5
Original post by zef1995
I'm sorry to have repeated what you just said, I didn't know you had posted until I submitted mine!

We must have been like seconds apart! No worries :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
I do OCR B SALTERS, does anyone know if I need 90% on the coursework for that one too? So 90% average across all three units, or is it just 90% on the exams?
Reply 7
Original post by Quest
Yes.

The same applies for all subjects (90% at A2, and 80% overall) except for mathematics and further mathematics it is a tiny bit different (read up on it if you want).

You guys are lightening fast thanks so much.

Hmmm. God damn Practicals. That will hold me down. I can only drop 30UMS then for an A* at A2, so from what I understand my AS right now is basically irrelevant??? As I have an A at as for Physics and Chem?

I really should aim to smash the heavily weighted Unit then, then do much better in my Unit 4 Retakes for Physics and Chemistry. Fortunately the Unit 4's are my last exams.

Okay I see what I need to do then! Basically I have to walk in and be a freak for each exam.

Thanks again! Any tips would be great too
Reply 8
Original post by Quest
We must have been like seconds apart! No worries chap :biggrin:

I know right, there can't have been much between us! Could you say it is some form of typing telepathy (if that even exists)? :P
Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Better
You guys are lightening fast thanks so much.

Hmmm. God damn Practicals. That will hold me down. I can only drop 30UMS then for an A* at A2, so from what I understand my AS right now is basically irrelevant??? As I have an A at as for Physics and Chem?

I really should aim to smash the heavily weighted Unit then, then do much better in my Unit 4 Retakes for Physics and Chemistry. Fortunately the Unit 4's are my last exams.

Okay I see what I need to do then! Basically I have to walk in and be a freak for each exam.

Thanks again! Any tips would be great too

It sounds like you really want the A*, and I'm sure you'll work hard to get it!
Have you got the specification points for the units? Going through them can be very helpful as you can find the areas you're not completely sure about, if any :smile:
Best of luck!
Reply 10
Original post by zef1995
I know right, there can't have been much between us! Could you say it is some form of typing telepathy (if that even exists)? :P
Thank you! :biggrin:

Just in case you were curious I removed the 'chap' because it didn't say whether you were male or female and so such assumptions should not be made haha! :smile:

AND WHO KNOWS, THE UNIVERSE WORKS IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS.
Reply 11
Original post by Quest
Just in case you were curious I removed the 'chap' because it didn't say whether you were male or female and so such assumptions should not be made haha! :smile:

AND WHO KNOWS, THE UNIVERSE WORKS IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS.

Haha, thank you for the consideration! I am a female, although I didn't take offence by your use of the word "chap", so no worries :biggrin:

That's very true! Maybe typing telepathy will be something more well known in the future.

Do you take Physics? Maybe you could be the one to discover the mysterious workings of the universe? :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by zef1995
It sounds like you really want the A*, and I'm sure you'll work hard to get it!
Have you got the specification points for the units? Going through them can be very helpful as you can find the areas you're not completely sure about, if any :smile:
Best of luck!

Yeah I'm looking at it now.... and the grade boundaries. Because I'm on 30/40 I really need to get like 5 more marks or else I will have to walk in and literally get like more than 95% raw marks wise on Unit 4 and 5.

The A and A* are two very very different grades....

Thanks again and yeah hopefully the stars will align in my favor.
Reply 13
Original post by zef1995
Haha, thank you for the consideration! I am a female, although I didn't take offence by your use of the word "chap", so no worries :biggrin:

That's very true! Maybe typing telepathy will be something more well known in the future.

Do you take Physics? Maybe you could be the one to discover the mysterious workings of the universe? :biggrin:

We're veering off topic here and so the moderators might crash up in here and take us straight to jail (without passing Go) but yes I'm in my second year of A2 and one of my subjects is Physics :smile:

Also the course I'll hopefully be studying in October is Natural Sciences (Physical) so you could say that a lot of my academic endeavours will revolve around physics. ;D
Reply 14
Original post by Better
Yeah I'm looking at it now.... and the grade boundaries. Because I'm on 30/40 I really need to get like 5 more marks or else I will have to walk in and literally get like more than 95% raw marks wise on Unit 4 and 5.

The A and A* are two very very different grades....

Thanks again and yeah hopefully the stars will align in my favor.

Will there be any opportunities back at school/college where you can increase your marks to a number you'd be happier with?
Even if there isn't another opportunity, the A* is still possible, although admittedly harder to achieve.

They certainly are! I hope you get the ones you're hoping for :smile:

You're welcome, if there's anything else I can do please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Quest
We're veering off topic here and so the moderators might crash up in here and take us straight to jail (without passing Go) but yes I'm in my second year of A2 and one of my subjects is Physics :smile:

Also the course I'll hopefully be studying in October is Natural Sciences (Physical) so you could say that a lot of my academic endeavours will revolve around physics. ;D

How do you revise for Physics just wondering.

I did really poorly in Jan Unit 4 (D) despite my straight A's at AS.

Apparently I should be doing like every Question to Master Each topic??? Which I didn't do. I just read read read.

Is this what you do? (Questions)
Reply 16
imo A and A* doesnt have that much of a difference in chem.
The exams (AQA) have recently had very high grade boundaries aka 90/100 for an A*. 10 marks are very easy to drop by lapses in concentration ridiculous mark schemes. Not to mention the ISAs which are basically impossible to get an A* unless your school cheats.
They should make the exams much harder and just lower the boundaries. This would mean that silly little mistakes wouldnt make as much of a difference. You will get the grade you deserve.
Reply 17
Original post by zef1995
Will there be any opportunities back at school/college where you can increase your marks to a number you'd be happier with?
Even if there isn't another opportunity, the A* is still possible, although admittedly harder to achieve.

They certainly are! I hope you get the ones you're hoping for :smile:

You're welcome, if there's anything else I can do please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help :smile:

Yes the teacher is giving us like 2/3 more chances but I am not good at Chemistry Practicals. Unlike my Physics Teacher he doesn't really Help much at all, when it comes to Practicals anyway..

But you've given me exactly what I needed you Hero thanks so much.

Puts it into perspective how much I need to start Prepping myself for the Exam.

The only other thing you could help me with is general exam tips, I've changed style from doing just reading to more questions, so anything in that regard would be great!

But again you've helped me more than enough!
Reply 18
Original post by Quest

I know right, it's crazy how quickly these things happen :P Was it...the mysterious workings of the universe again?!
Haha, hopefully they'll have merci on us and give us a "get out of jail free" card...now it sounds like we're playing Monopoly! Would it be a good idea for me to PM you instead? :P
That's cool, I'm in my A2 year as well :smile: I hope you're enjoying Physics!

The course sounds perfectly suited to you, as it involves Physics ;D
That aside, I wish you the best of luck with it, and I hope you enjoy the university at which you'll be studying it :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by zef1995
I know right, it's crazy how quickly these things happen :P Was it...the mysterious workings of the universe again?!
Haha, hopefully they'll have merci on us and give us a "get out of jail free" card...now it sounds like we're playing Monopoly! Would it be a good idea for me to PM you instead? :P
That's cool, I'm in my A2 year as well :smile: I hope you're enjoying Physics!

The course sounds perfectly suited to you, as it involves Physics ;D
That aside, I wish you the best of luck with it, and I hope you enjoy the university at which you'll be studying it :smile:

Wow you coordinate yourself in a very polite and respectful manner on here. Wonderful indeed :biggrin: So thank you very much for being so pleasant haha! It's a rarity on TSR!

Thank you for the well-wishing etc. also, I'm definitely very excited about university.

Sure you can PM me if you want, if you'd like to discuss anything in particular about studies or whatever - or just any other nonsense :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending