The Student Room Group

Philpotts found guilty over fire deaths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Mick Philpott did not intentionally kill his kids, it was the smoke from the fire that killed them. He planned to stage an arson attempt and then rescue his kids using a ladder which was in place. Watch one of the many documentaries to see how it happened.
Original post by dj1015
You are wrong actually.

A news paper can change it position, hence why this poor smear has no bearing on it today.

Secondly, I willing to wager my life's earnings on the fact that the mail have at least one reader who is working class somewhere in the UK. Maybe more.....

Of course they have some poorer readers, but their sustained attacks on people on benefits show that that must be a very small percentage of their reader base.

A leopard can change its spots... by their deeds shall ye know them... if the cap fits wear it... etc. The Mail has always been a hateful paper that runs hate agendas for profit. The current "scrounger" crusade is no different and using the Philpott saga as a political weapon in it is shameful and disgusting.
Changing the subject slightly, does anyone think the sentence against his wife is unduly harsh? She seems to have been as much a victim of him as anything.
Original post by Selnec
What that every innocent person who relies on the welfare system and uses it for its intended purposes is an deeply disturbed psychopathic killer who hatches lunatic plans to spite their ex mistress?

Never said that and never implied that. I know there are some perfectly innocent people who through no fault of their own have to rely on benefits and are NOT scrounging under any circumstances.

It is the lowlife scumbags and scroungers who truly abuse the system that should be spat at like these freaks. Or anyone with 50,000 kids of their own or some silly number.
Original post by sorafdfs
Psychopaths are estimated to be 1-2% of the population. Suffice to say the majority are meant to be top CEOs and such.

Wow, serious? That's crazy.

Original post by meenu89
Would like to think so but I wouldn't be sure...

Yeah me neither tbh.

Original post by calm down
I'm from Derby and what these parents have done really doesn't reflect our city well.

Agreed. Our city really isn't bad at all, but this has made it seem it is.
Reply 65
Original post by LonelyAndEmpty
Wow, serious? That's crazy.

Yeah me neither tbh.

Agreed. Our city really isn't bad at all, but this has made it seem it is.

It shames me so much to see he was wearing a Derby County top in a clip of him, really doesn't reflect well of the team, and hate to be associated with SCUM like him
Reply 66
Original post by calm down
It shames me so much to see he was wearing a Derby County top in a clip of him, really doesn't reflect well of the team, and hate to be associated with SCUM like him

Yeah as a Derby fan, it's not great.

There's going to be a minute's silence before the Ipswich game on Saturday in memory of the children, which I think is the right thing to do.
That guy makes me sick !! KILLING YOUR OWN FLESH AND BLOOD. People like him should be put on death row, they don't deserve to live after taking 6 innocent lives. :eek:
Reply 68
Original post by Selnec
Yeah as a Derby fan, it's not great.

There's going to be a minute's silence before the Ipswich game on Saturday in memory of the children, which I think is the right thing to do.

That minute will hopefully be treated with respect, and people should think about the children lost in that minute, not the killers, they dont deserve a second of our minute. But us Rams fans will overcome this, although to see some other football fans (minority im sure) posting on twitter, calling our club for this horrible incident is not really on, we as the fans, feel sickend by the events, in know way do we reflect the Philpotts in our city
Original post by Darth Stewie

Stay classy DM, stay classy.

Well done Daily Mail, congratulations on that disgusting headline and the Tory party for using this as political point-scoring.

Like to hear about Philpott dropping the soap sometime soon, even the audacity to make a "tearful" appearance on the news when he wasn't even sad, and all because he wanted a bigger house. What scum
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Changing the subject slightly, does anyone think the sentence against his wife is unduly harsh? She seems to have been as much a victim of him as anything.

Nope - SHE went along with it, SHE was given plenty of opportunity to leave, but she never did. I think the judge did the right thing by saying she chose Mick over everyone else.
I imagine he'll be put onto a VP wing in prison, a shame really I would love the him to meet the other inmates.
Reply 73
Did anyone see him on the Jeremy Kyle show?
Tony Blair is responsible for thousands of children who have been burned to death.

What is going to happen to him ?
Something even more despicable is David and George trying to use this as evidence to support welfare cuts. I don't necessarily disagree with welfare cuts but it's disgusting that they're using the death of those six children as propaganda.
Reply 76
Original post by paddlesnap
Something even more despicable is David and George trying to use this as evidence to support welfare cuts. I don't necessarily disagree with welfare cuts but it's disgusting that they're using the death of those six children as propaganda.

AgrEed. You wouldn't judge Doctors by Harold Shipham.
Apparently he had more children and he burnt the house in an effort to get a bigger one. He was upset but the kind of upset you might feel at losing a favourite bag or a pair of expensive shoes. The only reason he got benefits anyway was because he had so many children but some other people have lots of children for benefits too which is really very bad considering there are people who need it more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by paddlesnap

George Osborne WAS trying to contain a smile as he spoke to the BBC about the Philpotts. To him I guess the people became a bunch of pictures and verdicts.
Reply 79
Original post by That Bearded Man
Nope - SHE went along with it, SHE was given plenty of opportunity to leave, but she never did. I think the judge did the right thing by saying she chose Mick over everyone else.

Well, the last time a woman left him he broke into her house in the dead of night and stabbed her 13 times in her sleep... (along with her mother)

Its safe to say you would be a bit fearful of leaving him!

But yes, it was a choice to stay and it was a choice to go ahead with that stupid idea to burn a house down with your children in (joining in rather than just not trying to stop it) so I agree with the sentence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending