The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Guys do your ISAs count towards getting an A*? I got 104/120 in U4 and I was wondering if ISAs count towards the A* or if you have to average 90% on just the exams?
PS do you have to have 90%+ at AS for an A*?
Original post by Sherlockedd
Guys do your ISAs count towards getting an A*? I got 104/120 in U4 and I was wondering if ISAs count towards the A* or if you have to average 90% on just the exams?
PS do you have to have 90%+ at AS for an A*?

Unit 6 (ISA) does count towards the A*.

No, you don't require 90% or more at AS to get an A*.

The requirements for an A* are that you need an A overall (80%) at A-level with a 90% average in A2. So you could get 70% at AS and 90% at A2 and get an A*, as that would average 80% across the A-level and you would have achieved the 90% in A2.
Original post by Tullia
Unit 6 (ISA) does count towards the A*.

No, you don't require 90% or more at AS to get an A*.

The requirements for an A* are that you need an A overall (80%) at A-level with a 90% average in A2. So you could get 70% at AS and 90% at A2 and get an A*, as that would average 80% across the A-level and you would have achieved the 90% in A2.

Seriously?! Best news I've heard all week! So if I got 75% at AS and can manage 90% overall I can gets me an A*? Although, surely that would get you an A...?

Why the hell am I resitting U1 ... :L
(edited 11 years ago)
Seriously?! Best news I've heard all week! So if I got 75% at AS and can manage 90% overall I can gets me an A*? Although, surely that would get you an A...?

Why the hell am I resitting U1 ... :L

Hypothetically speaking, let's say you have 75% from AS. If you then get 90% in A2 (averaged across CHEM4, 5 and 6) then you will get an A*.

This is because you've met the 90% at A2 criteria, and (75 + 90) / 2 = 82.5 %, which meets the criteria for needing 80% overall for the A-level.
Original post by Tullia
Hypothetically speaking, let's say you have 75% from AS. If you then get 90% in A2 (averaged across CHEM4, 5 and 6) then you will get an A*.

This is because you've met the 90% at A2 criteria, and (75 + 90) / 2 = 82.5 %, which meets the criteria for needing 80% overall for the A-level.

So you only need 80%+ overall in your A-leve lto get an A*? Sorry for the dumbass questions my teacher didn't explain this to me very well, just said I can get an A* if I upped my U1 mark :L
(edited 11 years ago)
So you only need 80%+ overall in your A-leve lto get an A*? Sorry for the dumbass questions my teacher didn't explain this to me very well, just said I can get an A* if I upped my U1 mark, but I'm already on 75% overall :L

There are two conditions for an A*:

80% for the A-level (both AS and A2).

90% at A2 (which is an average of the three A2 modules).

You haven't mentioned the ISA, but if you get 58/60 UMS on it then you're averaging 90% at A2 due to having got 104/120 UMS on CHEM4. That would mean you would go into the CHEM5 exam needing 90% to get an A*.

Did your teacher not give an explanation as to why they recommend that you resit CHEM1? If not, then you should ask them.
Reply 167
So you only need 80%+ overall in your A-leve lto get an A*? Sorry for the dumbass questions my teacher didn't explain this to me very well, just said I can get an A* if I upped my U1 mark :L

Yup, 80% overall in entire A-Level. 90% in A2 modules.
Original post by Tullia
There are two conditions for an A*:

80% for the A-level (both AS and A2).

90% at A2 (which is an average of the three A2 modules).

You haven't mentioned the ISA, but if you get 58/60 UMS on it then you're averaging 90% at A2 due to having got 104/120 UMS on CHEM4. That would mean you would go into the CHEM5 exam needing 90% to get an A*.

Did your teacher not give an explanation as to why they recommend that you resit CHEM1? If not, then you should ask them.

Well I got a C in both papers originally :colondollar: and then resat U2 this year to get it up to an A (115/120) and I got 65/100 on U1 I got 46/60 in my ISA last year and according to my calculations they add up to 75%. I'm also re-doing my ISA from last year. Maybe it's to secure an A? And we haven't done the A2 ISA yet so no idea how I'll do :tongue:

Original post by jqian
Yup, 80% overall in entire A-Level. 90% in A2 modules.

This is literally the best thing I've heard all week.
Well I got a C in both papers originally :colondollar: and then resat U2 this year to get it up to an A (115/120) and I got 65/100 on U1 I got 46/60 in my ISA last year and according to my calculations they add up to 75%. I'm also re-doing my ISA from last year. Maybe it's to secure an A? And we haven't done the A2 ISA yet so no idea how I'll do :tongue:

CHEM2 is out of 140 UMS. Regardless, you do have 226 UMS though, which is approximately 75%.

Yeah, my thinking would be that it is to secure an A. Based on my hypothetical situation in the previous post, if you had fallen below 90% in CHEM5 then you could quite easily have ended up with a B overall. And that was assuming 58 UMS in the A2 ISA, which is easier said than done.
Original post by Tullia
CHEM2 is out of 140 UMS. Regardless, you do have 226 UMS though, which is approximately 75%.

Yeah, my thinking would be that it is to secure an A. Based on my hypothetical situation in the previous post, if you had fallen below 90% in CHEM5 then you could quite easily have ended up with a B overall. And that was assuming 58 UMS in the A2 ISA, which is easier said than done.

Yeah and I need at least an A but am aiming for an A*. Thanks for all your help!
Reply 171
Is it just me or is Periodicity fairly straightforward?
I really need to get round to learning all the colours of the complexes though.
Reply 172
Original post by Xiomara
Is it just me or is Periodicity fairly straightforward?
I really need to get round to learning all the colours of the complexes though.

I agree, just need to learn the equations!
Reply 173
Original post by erniiee
I agree, just need to learn the equations!

I've just been working on that this afternoon! They're not terrible, I guess - some of the Phosphorus and Sulfur equations are a bit tricky.
Reply 174
Original post by Xiomara
I've just been working on that this afternoon! They're not terrible, I guess - some of the Phosphorus and Sulfur equations are a bit tricky.

Ah i've been doing nucleophilic addition from Chem4. I really need to revise periodicity - we did it back in November :redface:
Reply 175
Just done some old spec questions on Transition Metals, so much to remember! Need to stop putting off memorising equations and colours and just get on with it :redface:
Quick question, is it the transition metal ions that are coloured or their complexes?
:s-smilie:
Hello!

We have covered all the content for chem5. But I want some gold revision techniques to learn it all!

I normally write notes which takes agggess.. Then some past papers :-) but takes a while to get to the last paper stage!

How is everyone else revising? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 178
Original post by Hart1995
Hello!

We have covered all the content for chem5. But I want some gold revision techniques to learn it all!

I normally write notes which takes agggess.. Then some past papers :-) but takes a while to get to the last paper stage!

How is everyone else revising? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well atm I've wrote out notes for everything I've covered in lessons (haven't done entropy or any of the redox stuff yet) and then today I started doing old spec questions relevant for our spec for transition metals. Will start doing past papers when I'm a lot more confident with everything and I've finished covering eveything.

I've seriously underestimated this unit though :redface:
Original post by AmyLH
Well atm I've wrote out notes for everything I've covered in lessons (haven't done entropy or any of the redox stuff yet) and then today I started doing old spec questions relevant for our spec for transition metals. Will start doing past papers when I'm a lot more confident with everything and I've finished covering eveything.

I've seriously underestimated this unit though :redface:

Underestimated it in what way? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending