The Student Room Group

**The "North Korea Watch 2013" Update Thread**

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Oh sod off David Cameron and your typical bellicose traditionalist Tory pro-war radish-headed incompetency. Why the hell is he getting involved.
Reply 241
Original post by Revengeissweet
For a country that has threatened war countless times, their words are becoming pretty meaningless now. I doubt China is encouraging this- they are probably proping up the regime to prevent the immediate instability that would result in the peninsula. However I don't think China, nor Russia for that matter, will have anything to gain should NK really decide to start a war.

No, indeed, but they may be interested to see how far SK, USA and Japan can be pushed...
I don't believe that. This is all Fatboys doing, and if he is not careful, he is going to end up dead. China are not pushing this, the last thing they need is a war, as that will mean loads of Malnourished, Koreans streaming over the border into China.
Reply 243
It's a pity Harry Truman didn't relieve General MacArthur sooner than he did. His amphibious landing at Inchon to retake the south after it was lost to the north was a master stroke but he seemed to think he knew it all after that. Perhaps if they hadn't pushed so far north after capturing Pyongyang, knowing it would aggravate China, we would not be in the current situation today...
Reply 244
Original post by CelticSymphony67
I don't believe that. This is all Fatboys doing, and if he is not careful, he is going to end up dead. China are not pushing this, the last thing they need is a war, as that will mean loads of Malnourished, Koreans streaming over the border into China.

Fatboy must be more crazy than Saddam...
Original post by Thomas2
Fatboy must be more crazy than Saddam...

We will find out soon enough how crackers he is.
China has placed military forces on heightened alert in the northeastern part of the country as tensions mount on the Korean peninsula following recent threats by Pyongyang to attack, U.S. officials said.
Reports from the region reveal the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) recently increased its military posture in response to the heightened tensions, specifically North Korea's declaration of a "state of war" and threats to conduct missile attacks against the United States and South Korea.
According to the officials, the PLA has stepped up military mobilization in the border region with North Korea since mid-March, including troop movements and warplane activity.
China's navy also conducted live-firing naval drills by warships in the Yellow Sea that were set to end Monday near the Korean peninsula, in apparent support of North Korea, which was angered by ongoing U.S.-South Korean military drills that are set to continue throughout April.
North Korea, meanwhile, is mobilizing missile forces, including road-mobile short- and medium-range missiles, according to officials familiar with satellite imagery of missile bases.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/01/china-mobilizing-troops-jets-near-n-korean-border/#ixzz2PX7E5Gsg

S*** is happening in the Asia-Pacific. But these troop movements are really just to prevent Korean refugees flooding the Manchuria regions of China, as it is estimated that 5 million N.Koreans will try to cross the Yalu river.
If China wants to be recognised as a regional/ world power, then it needs to start acting like one.
Original post by the mezzil
If China wants to be recognised as a regional/ world power, then it needs to start acting like one.

Depends on what you mean by that. Economic or Militarly? Here is an military overview of the military development of PRC;
The Chinese Navy wants to break the first Island chains that is dominated by the USN 7th fleet based in Tokyo Bay and Okinawa Island (along with the USMC). The Type 052C/D main role will be air-defense and possibly ballistic missile defense with it's HQ missiles. The PLAN defensive weapon will the DF-21D (an modified ICBM). It is the world's first and only long range, inter-Continental Anti-Ship missile (range is projected to be over 1,000 KM). It has maneuvable re-entry vehicles and has multiple warheads (travelling at March 10+). However, the USN has many counter-measures against this threats, like Electronic Jamming and Magnetic decoys for Carrier defence and Aegis BMDS on Burke Class Destroyer (using new SM-3 Standered missile).

Original post by Type 052D
Depends on what you mean by that. Economic or Militarly? Here is an military overview of the military development of PRC;
The Chinese Navy wants to break the first Island chains that is dominated by the USN 7th fleet based in Tokyo Bay and Okinawa Island (along with the USMC). The Type 052C/D main role will be air-defense and possibly ballistic missile defense with it's HQ missiles. The PLAN defensive weapon will the DF-21D (an modified ICBM). It is the world's first and only long range, inter-Continental Anti-Ship missile (range is projected to be over 1,000 KM). It has maneuvable re-entry vehicles and has multiple warheads (travelling at March 10+). However, the USN has many counter-measures against this threats, like Electronic Jamming and Magnetic decoys for Carrier defence and Aegis BMDS on Burke Class Destroyer (using new SM-3 Standered missile).

Both + politically, China should start by telling Fat boy to stfu and sit the **** down. Besides, if she wants to be recognised as a military super power, then she needs to start developing a proper blue water navy in order to project power, one ex-ukrainian ship isn't enough. China has the economics sorted, just not the foreign relations (excluding Africa) or military. There's no point having an army if it drinks a river dry instead of moving down it.

Anyway, as a westerner, I prefer China to remain the sleeping giant it is.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 250
Both + politically, China should start by telling Fat boy to stfu and sit the f**k down. Besides, if she wants to be recognised as a military super power, then she needs to start developing a proper blue water navy in order to project power, one ex-ukrainian ship isn't enough. China has the economics sorted, just not the foreign relations (excluding Africa) or military. There's no point having an army if it drinks a river dry instead of moving down it.

They are doing. Or rather, are trying to. They have aircraft carriers in production so are on their way to getting the Navy they 'want', but questionable as to whether they need. They have the financial clout already. Their diplomatic clout is limited by the different ideologies, but is getting better.

As for the thread itself, not news, really. All the major world's militaries are on alert about this. I heard that the Parachute Regiment have recently been put on 24hr notice-to-move. Not sure why, I doubt we'd get involved and even if we did it would be RAF and RN first anyway, but there you go.
Both + politically, China should start by telling Fat boy to stfu and sit the f**k down. Besides, if she wants to be recognised as a military super power, then she needs to start developing a proper blue water navy in order to project power, one ex-ukrainian ship isn't enough. China has the economics sorted, just not the foreign relations (excluding Africa) or military. There's no point having an army if it drinks a river dry instead of moving down it.

The Chinese don't give an **** about what westerns think of them other than USA. They have an moderately strong foreign policy i.e. Being the alternative trading partner to the sanctioned nation than the US/EU. And the Chinese have 25 Aegis like DDG with Compact VLS that can shoot down sea skimming projectiles like the moskits that are operated by the ASEAN nations in the south china sea.
Original post by Drewski
They are doing. Or rather, are trying to. They have aircraft carriers in production so are on their way to getting the Navy they 'want', but questionable as to whether they need. They have the financial clout already. Their diplomatic clout is limited by the different ideologies, but is getting better.

As for the thread itself, not news, really. All the major world's militaries are on alert about this. I heard that the Parachute Regiment have recently been put on 24hr notice-to-move. Not sure why, I doubt we'd get involved and even if we did it would be RAF and RN first anyway, but there you go.

Yep, that is what I mean, they are trying to, not there yet though.
Original post by Algorithm69
Protecting their interests is what world powers do. China seems to have that down perfectly.

not in the same way the USA does :wink:
Reply 254
The Chinese are rubbish at war. But then, who needs to fight the world, when you can buy it?
Risky business: China continues military buildup near North Korean border as tanks, armor deploy

China
continued moving tanks and armored vehicles and flying flights near North Korea this week as part of a military buildup in the northeastern part of the country that U.S. officials say is related to the crisis with North Korea.

The Obama administration, meanwhile, sought to play down the Chinese military buildup along the border with Beijing’s fraternal communist ally despite the growing danger of conflict following unprecedented threats by Pyongyang to attack the United States and South Korea with nuclear weapons...

....The buildup appears linked to North Korea’s March 30 announcement that it is in a “state of war” with South Korea after the United Nations imposed a new round of sanctions following the North’s Feb. 12 nuclear test and because of ongoing large-scale joint U.S.-South Korea military exercises.

The People’s Liberation Army (PLA) troop and tank movements were reported in Daqing, located in northeastern Heilongjiang Province, and in the border city of Shenyang, in Liaoning Province.

Officials said one key military unit involved in the mobilization is the 190th Mechanized Infantry Brigade based in Benxi, Liaoning Province. The brigade is believed to be the PLA’s frontline combat unit that would respond to any regional conflict or refugee flows. Troops and tank movements also were reported in Dandong, in Liaoning Province.

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Type 052D
The Chinese don't give an **** about what westerns think of them other than USA. They have an moderately strong foreign policy i.e. Being the alternative trading partner to the sanctioned nation than the US/EU. And the Chinese have 25 Aegis like DDG with Compact VLS that can shoot down sea skimming projectiles like the moskits that are operated by the ASEAN nations in the south china sea.

Aye I agree and know, but the point I'm getting at is China doesn't have the ability to project power (At the present) like the USA can. China will be able to in the near future as Drewski points out, but at the moment she has nothing other than a huge army and the ability to protect herself, with limited regional projection capabilities.
Perhaps Camerons "North Korean Missiles" was a euphemism...
The Chinese may be moving there troops to the NK border to try and stem the inevitable rush of Korean refugees if it kicks off, or have China finally woke up, and are they about to invade NK and topple Fatboy?
Original post by CelticSymphony67
The Chinese may be moving there troops to the NK border to try and stem the inevitable rush of Korean refugees if it kicks off

I was just about to say that, I would imagine they would remain neutral if a conflict did take place. The mass of refugees would be a major problem for China.

But the truth of it is no one knows what is to happen or what would happen if a conflict was to break out, it is all speculation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending