The Student Room Group

Imperial vs. Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the mezzil
see my point?

People at Imperial will be forced to think creatively and apply knowledge on a regular basis. In the end, this will make them more intelligent. Not saying that people at Manchester won't, but to a lesser extent, and that will be because of the larger workload and more rigorous course structure at Imperial. I have never seen people complain about workload at Manchester but have very regularly at Imperial, so proves my point.

Again, grades do not = intelligence. Nor do high grade requirements. Just shows it seems to be popular for those not so intelligent people achieving high grades thinking "it must be good because it wants 2 A*s"
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zenomorph
OK, but semantabation won't be able to hide your embarrassment because the question can be easily rephrased:

give me 1 good reason why I would apply for Manchester instead of Cambridge and Imperial are offering the same entries ?

Because of the financial bursary offered? Or the social scene? There is a variety of reasons...
Original post by TooIntelligent
People at Imperial will be forced to think creatively and apply knowledge on a regular basis. In the end, this will make them more intelligent. Not saying that people at Manchester won't, but to a lesser extent, and that will be because of the larger workload and more rigorous course structure. I have never seen people complain about workload at Manchester but have very regularly at Imperial, so proves my point.

Again, grades do not = intelligence. Nor do high grade requirements. Just shows it seems to be popular for those not so intelligent people achieving high grades thinking "it must be good because it wants 2 A*s"

we're just going round in circles here aren't we :wink:
Reply 83
Because of the financial bursary offered? Or the social scene? There is a variety of reasons...

cetirus paribus

Also i said good reason - social scene is bogus
(edited 11 years ago)
cetirus paribus

I don't speak Latin, but how can the conditions be the same, if they are not? If the conditions were the same (Rep/ bursary/ social scene/ teaching etc) then there would be no point to this argument as they are the same uni just in different places, with no reason to choose one over the other.
I don't speak Latin, but how can the conditions be the same, if they are not? If the conditions were the same (Rep/ bursary/ social scene/ teaching etc) then there would be no point to this argument as they are the same uni just in different places, with no reason to choose one over the other.

Why is Imperial consistently ranked higher then? Why does it have a better reputation for Physics?? It is a top-level institute so obviously students getting in will be better than those at not-so-good institutes. E.g. Compare Oxbridge students to London Met students.
Reply 86

I said good reason - social scene is bogus.

Rep - Imperial >>>> manc 10 x

Bursary - why must you assume you can only get a bursury from manc

Teaching - Source please or is this your own hearsay again ?

Any more bogus reasons and pretense at not understanding a bit of Latin ?

The more you carry on the more you are embarrassing yourself
Original post by TooIntelligent
Why is Imperial consistently ranked higher then? Why does it have a better reputation for Physics?? It is a top-level institute so obviously students getting in will be better than those at not-so-good institutes. E.g. Compare Oxbridge students to London Met students.

Rep because of research, which I agree is better at Imperial. Also, the london Met v Oxbridge is a stupid argument, I'm not gonna defend an inorganised and exploitive uni such as the Mets. I'm debating about two very reputable Russel Group Unis.
Reply 88
Rep because of research, which I agree is better at Imperial. Also, the london Met v Oxbridge is a stupid argument, I'm not gonna defend an inorganised and exploitive uni such as the Mets. I'm debating about two very reputable Russel Group Unis.

obviously not as reputable as Imperial or 14 other unis by the CUG. LOL
I said good reason - social scene is bogus.

Rep - Imperial >>>> manc 10 x

Bursary - why must you assume you can only get a bursury from manc

Teaching - Source please or is this your own hearsay again ?

Any more bogus reasons and pretense at not understanding a bit of Latin ?

The more you carry on the more you are embarrassing yourself

1) In terms of world rep, Imperial and Manchester are similar
2) Because of my finacial postion, only Mancheser would of given me a Bursary
3) You've just said ceteris paribus which translates: with other conditions remaining the same, so I assumed you meant teaching? So if the teaching conditions were the same, there would be no difference between the unis, which defeats the whole point of this debate
4) I used google translate, I do not speak Latin
Reply 90
Original post by SaraWarah
Don't be stupid.

That's just a ranking of how many firms pitch up to careers fairs, and has absolutely no say on how employers target universities.

Nobody is going to pick Warwick graduates over Oxbridge/Imperial graduates unless the Warwick ones actually proved themselves to be better.

Why else do you think that Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL students enjoy access to prestigious careers which no other universities will grant access to? You won't find very many Sheffield students at the Bar in London, you won't find many at MC law firms, or at top banking jobs.

Look at the list again and tell me you managed not to burst out laughing.
Warwick
Nottingham
Manchester
Cambridge
Bristol
Durham
Oxford
Birmingham
Bath
Leeds
Sheffield
Imperial
Lougborough
LSE
UCL

Clearly LSE and UCL graduates are just sub-standard compared to the elite folks over at Sheffield :rolleyes:

When Cambridge and Oxford take world top 5 spots for employer reputation (and overall reputation, too), you have to question a ranking's accuracy when they are placed #4 and #7 in the UK..

Jesus, whats your problem with Sheffield? Im just about to firm it lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
1) In terms of world rep, Imperial and Manchester are similar

Yeah right, dream on

So what, that in no way makes Manc better than Imperial at Physics

3) You've just said ceteris paribus which translates: with other conditions remaining the same, so I assumed you meant teaching? So if the teaching conditions were the same, there would be no difference between the unis, which defeats the whole point of this debate

To test one variable the others have to be held constant. this is basic stats, then again you attend Manc so i would expect that sort of Confusion.

4) I used google translate, I do not speak Latin

Yes of course you did - why would an Imperial student not know extremely basic latin. As said you attend manc - enough said.
(edited 11 years ago)

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/studentfinance/home-eu-2013/university-scholarships-and-bursaries/

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/studentfinance/prospectiveugstudents/supportpackage

Are we looking at the same universities???

How are you going to get a bursary from Manchester and not Imperial??

Manchester 2 grand a year, Imperial 1 grand a year + £2,100 service discount (well you know fee waiver would be a waste of time, since I would be paying the same amount regardless of the fee of 9% + the accommodation money only lasts a year plus the fact that it is massively more expensive than Manchester) so Manchester is better in bursary terms
Reply 94
OK, but semantabation won't be able to hide your embarrassment because the question can be easily rephrased:

give me 1 good reason why I would apply for Manchester instead of Cambridge and Imperial are offering the same entries ?

Still does not make sense as one can apply to all 3.
Imperial is definitely more prestigious! But Manchester is the best student city, its soooo much cheaper than London, and there are so many clubs, bars, and amazing things going on! Also Brian Cox is a professor there, LEGEND
Reply 96
Original post by LutherVan
Still does not make sense as one can apply to all 3.

Clearly you are semantabating and becoming a troller so yes of course if you insist ' it's all the same '.
Reply 97
Clearly you are semantabating and becoming a troller so yes of course if you insist ' it's all the same '.

I never said ' it's all the same ', I am just highlighting that it is quite stupid to say people are dumb for applying to Manchester when it requests A*AA. It is not like if they have only one application choice. And you are pretty much struggling to defend that logic.
Reply 98
These debates is further "proof" that many consider the higher education system in the UK to consist of only Oxbridge and the rest.

If someone were to ask, "should I attend Oxbridge or x", the majority of responses will be Oxbridge.

Conversely if the queston was, "should I attend uni y or uni z", even if y is "clearly better" than z, the result wil be 50/50.
Original post by LutherVan
I never said ' it's all the same ', I am just highlighting that it is quite stupid to say people are dumb for applying to Manchester when it requests A*AA. It is not like if they have only one application choice. And you are pretty much struggling to defend that logic.

Let me defend the point for him then. Why the hell would you apply to an institute which is requesting for A*A*A when you could go to a much finer, prestigious institute like Imperial? It is not exactly something worthy of being a "backup" or insurance choice. Yes you can apply to five universities, but what is the point in applying to one which you probably will only go if you get rejected from Oxbridge/Imperial which requires extremely high grades for a comparatively mediocre course/teaching?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending