The Student Room Group

Advice Needed.Do I drop an A-Level now? (Quite a long Post Sorry!)

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
My best friend dropped As psychology last year in Janaury so she only carried on three a-levels (Maths, Economics and English Lit) and she's been accepted into LSE, Nottingham and Newcastle but rejected from Durham/Cambridge (for Economics) . She has straight A*'s at GCSE and she got A's at A-level with predicted A* in Maths/economics with A in English lit. She was probably rejected from Cambridge/durham because she has no extra-circular activates and no work experience (except being a part-time waitress). However, she did get an interview at Cambridge (she didn't want to go but only applied to shut up other people) and they just fired math questions at her and she screwed it up.

Just a little case study for you.

Personally, I think having AAA is better than having AABE at as. I really wished I dropped As music last year around Christmas as I took up all my time (I was way behind and I have no music ability!). I ended up getting an E grade which hasn't helped me at all with university but it drained away time which I could of used for my other three subjects.

If I was you I would drop it but I would love to speak Spanish :smile:

Have you thought about having conversational classes outside of time/meet Spanish people through tumblr to talk to on skype? That's what I do to learn French :smile:
Drop it then pick up an easy AS like sociology next year.
Reply 4
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by gcse2012
Basically, I am doing 4 AS Levels currently;Economics,Maths,Biology and Spanish and I know at Uni I either want to study Economics or Economics with something else ideally at one of the top 10 or 15 Uni's for the course.
I am hugely struggling with Spanish and have found the step up from GCSE massive and if I were to sit the exam now I would probably get an E maybe a D if I was lucky. My other three subjects are going well and I think I should get an A in them. I really want to try and get a C and maybe in a B for Spanish as I got 8A*s 3As at GCSE so it is something I should realistically be aiming for. I know to do that I would need to learn a lot of vocab and tenses and grammar and I have also got a presentation were I will need to memorise 1000 words in two weeks. So in summary in order to achieve a C it is likely to require a huge amount of work that could take away time from my three other levels and I am not sure if it is worth all of that to achieve a C at an AS which I am not going to continue for A2.
My thinking is should I either: Drop Spanish now - I think that would mean I would be able to get 3 strong A's in my other subjects and hopefully be able to get A*s in them for A2 as I would be able to spend a lot more time on the subjects.
OR
Put a lot of time into my Spanish as well as maintaining a lot of hard work for the other three where I would probably achieve 3 low A's this year and a C in Spanish if I am lucky.

The thing is that I am worried about what doing only 3AS levels would look like to a University and would it definitely scupper my chances at studying Economics at one of the top uni's for economics i.e Bristol/Durham etc even if I could achieve 3 A*s at A2 when they are asking for A*AA.
I know that they probably look at the 4th AS to differentiate between students so that worries me. The only things I have that really would differentiate me are that I have done work experience with hedge-funding and I have got my coaching badges for tennis.

Sorry for such a long post and thank for any answers in advance if you have managed to read through the whole thing!

Have you talked to your sixth form college?
Reply 6
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
No, am hoping I will be able to tomorrow somehow.

Ah OK. You should probably also contact (phone > email) the universities you're interested in to see if it makes any difference to them. :smile:

(Also, have you voted in the TSR election? Click the grey banner in my sig above to vote. :yep: :ninja: :teehee:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks and will happily vote in the election thing haha. Which person (job title) should I try to be contacting from the universities then?

:biggrin:

I'm not sure, you should have a look on the universities' websites. :yes:
Reply 10
Original post by Annuhlees
My best friend dropped As psychology last year in Janaury so she only carried on three a-levels (Maths, Economics and English Lit) and she's been accepted into LSE, Nottingham and Newcastle but rejected from Durham/Cambridge (for Economics) . She has straight A*'s at GCSE and she got A's at A-level with predicted A* in Maths/economics with A in English lit.

You sure about LSE? Just had a look and they said they want a passed 4th A-Level.

Unfortunately so did UCL, so I would be removing both as options.
Reply 11
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest