The Student Room Group

QUESTION- Do you think unis will let a 16 year old live in the halls of residence??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by joker12345
Don't know why everyone's putting you down so much to be honest, I think what you're doing is pretty impressive and I think it's partly jealously on their part. And anyway, not all 18 year olds drink, just look at the amount of 'going to uni but don't drink!!' threads on TSR! Have you done GCSE's and what did you get? Also, make sure you do look into work experience - just one thing really isn't going to be enough. Something like a GP surgery may be an option, I shadowed at one when I was 15.
RE your actual question, if they accept you to study on the course at 16, they'll let you stay in halls probably. I think I recall Oxford having guidelines that you have to have someone looking after you as you're technically a minor and they can't be responsible for you so look that up.

oh yeah so much jealousy. i have what i want and was just offering advice to someone who requested it on an open forum.
the majority of people that dont drink have chosen not to do so and are mostly 17ish y.o. guys and girls. not 13. can u really say for yourself that at 13 you had the same opinions and ideas as you have now? sorry if i sound harsh towards u but i got really pissed of with "ibeatu".

i know this stuff cause our school specifically told us that even though unis dont admit it, they actually kind of look down to you if you are not 18 at the start of the course.
Reply 41
Original post by aanna
hhahahaha! with this attitude u wont be getting into a med school, that i can tell for sure :wink: i sincerely hope u mature a bit though. and notice the "u", well this is how i type.

Which is horrendous.
Most universities have different policies and in reference to applying for medicine, I'm in year 13 and have a friend who isn't 18 until October who has an offer for Medicine at Oxford but cannot start till 2014, as you need to be 18. Perhaps you need to check each university's policy on this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by Ibeatu
That's perfectly fine, Medicine courses all have to do the same things, so I wouldn't be fussed where i went!

It's not a matter of 'not being fussed where you go', it's a matter of 'which medical school can I get into?' It's competitive and difficult enough already, without having your choices severely limited by your age. Plus, you haven't even started your A Levels yet... So many people change their mind about what they want to do over these two years, either due to the grades they get, or just their general mindset and attitudes. Why don't you just enjoy being young, and get a bit more life experience, before worrying about hypothetical problems stemming from hypothetically getting into med school? :smile:
Original post by Ibeatu
Please use proper grammar, this is the internet.
I have already checked with Oxford, they have stated that they have no age limit on getting into any of their courses, even Medicine. So 'yes way' they could let me in. I'll just have to apply for Universities who accept underage students.

& I doubt my opinion will change, i'm not the kind of person to get involved with anyone who thinks getting wasted is a good way to pass their time or let loose.

I am in no way shape or form immature, i am mistaken for eighteen now because of my maturity, so i doubt that will be an issue.

Please do not tell me what to do or give me false information as it annoys me, your opinion is fine but don't state facts that you don't know to be true.

Finally, that was you, not me. Each person is different. I may be more mature than you are now, or less so.

Don't worry, you didn't ruin it for me :biggrin:

i beg to differ, this post has shown immense immaturity.

Either way i am determined to become a doctor and to try my best to get there. No matter how old you get you will continue maturing, so yes you are right, i will be more mature and experienced in two years time, hell even in ten years time, but it doesn't mean that i'm not mature enough to apply for medicine in two years.

Please use proper grammar, this is the internet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by gman10
16 year olds are able to go to university at that age but they must still have the relevant qualifications to do so. GCSEs will not suffice and you will need to have gained your 3 A2 grades or equivalent to be accepted. So although the answer is yes 16 year olds can, the likelihood of it happening is rare!

In Scotland, the opportunity to go to university at age 16 is accessible from a normal education, without any "fast-tracking."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ibeatu
I don't know, that's why I started this thread. I know that I can go to university, but not whether i'd be allowed in halls of residence.
University is for studying and learning, not for getting sh*t-faced and having your face drawn on and contracting STIs. I'd be going there to learn and gain experience, there is plenty things I could do without drinking or taking drugs. But i'm sure if i did choose to drink I could.
It's my personal choice, should universities allow it I will be going once i'm sixteen.

*Also, boost because i still haven't got an answer*

In Scotland students often start before they turn 18 so unis there might be easier to deal with - also think about how you'll get housing for second year as you'll still be too young to sign a housing contract
Reply 47
I think everyone has gone a tad off topic..
I'm not quoting everyone, that'd take so much time, but i will clarify for everyone who's confused.
I'm thirteen now, going in for a levels this year. I'm doing IGCSEs in May/June.
The post you're all getting so worked up over was my response to someone who was speaking to me quite rudely in my opinion.
I do think some of you are trying to find faults where there aren't any. Ofcourse i'm not going to be completely mature, the same way even a fourty year old won't be.
My username was a joke, and i'm not pretentious or anything like that, i couldn't think of one and its the first thing that sprung to mind.
But if you all think i'm a troll that's perfectly fine with me, i'm not here to impress you, i'm here to comment and make threads.
Reply 48
Original post by aanna
hhahahaha! with this attitude u wont be getting into a med school, that i can tell for sure :wink: i sincerely hope u mature a bit though. and notice the "u", well this is how i type.
and i offered u a piece of advice and u didnt like it and attacked me for how i write.
this is the internet. people state their opinion whether it is right or wrong. sorry u go annoyed. wont ever do it again master. and if you are that of a genius, is it that hard to think of emailing the unis to ask them?
and as for your bragging about doing the 5 IGCSE's alone, RESPECT. so much respect for you. <-- this is sarcasm, maybe you are too young to get it. i did 8 igcse, alone. 3 sciences maths 2 languages business and art. top grades.

i can undestand a lot about your character as well from your username. ibeatu. so deep! yeah being all competitive and doing everything to succeed. again, wont get u that far either. u need to enjoy life to succeed otherwise u will be left all alone. well, not so alone. you will have your degrees as well but u can stuck them up your arse for all i care.

dont even bother :smile: i knwo exactly what u are talking about. hopefully ill get the grades to get into ucl this year and we all know medical school is hard but u can balance everything. and i dont want to miss out on anything and that doesnt mean becoming a drug addict and/or a slut. just enjoy the uni time that everyone says is great and the best years of your life.

I'm sorry but i think that is completely uncalled for, personal attacks on me is simply rude. I stated the stereotypical University scenario. Getting drunk and having sex. I never called anyone a drug addict or a slut, i'm sure you are none of those things.
I do apologise for my attack against your grammar, it certainly wasn't called for.
Though, i have never bragged about my academic stance. However, I believe you just did. I joined this site anonymously so I could put forward queries about my education, of which I have quite a few as I am home all the time. If I was bragging or trying to get noticed, wouldn't you think i'd have posted my picture and told everyone my name and so on and so forth?
Also, if you read the previous post, my username was a joke as I never even thought i'd use this forum.
You would struggle to get into medical school at 16 as you can't see patients until you are 18. Medical schools claim to be understanding about difficulties getting work experience but in practice they generally aren't. Reapplicants are commonly told to get more work experience. Your choice of A level is also poor for medicine, Psychology is often considered a weak subject and some prefer 3 sciences. Your application is unlikely to be competitive.

Medical schools don't like A levels taken over 3 years. Take some GSCEs in a year, do 3 science A levels and apply at 17 and you'd have more chance.
Reply 50
No, pretty average :smile:

Original post by parentlurker
You would struggle to get into medical school at 16 as you can't see patients until you are 18. Medical schools claim to be understanding about difficulties getting work experience but in practice they generally aren't. Reapplicants are commonly told to get more work experience. Your choice of A level is also poor for medicine, Psychology is often considered a weak subject and some prefer 3 sciences. Your application is unlikely to be competitive.

Medical schools don't like A levels taken over 3 years. Take some GSCEs in a year, do 3 science A levels and apply at 17 and you'd have more chance.

Thank you, that is one of the options i'm considering.
do 3 science A levels and apply at 17 and you'd have more chance.

That would certainly help
You are able to, however many universities will not allow a home student who is 16 into halls that are not studios, most have a policy for international students that they automatically get halls, age isn't mentioned. Most uni's will allow you a studio because you are living on your own and you aren't sharing it, it is to do with because you are below 18 and not turning 18 in that academic year, there is a raft of paperwork for halls of residence for people who aren't 18, and what has to be done.
Reply 53
I don't think you're going to have an issue being accepted into halls at sixteen. As other people have already said, they will just ask your parents to sign a form stating that the uni isn't your guardian.

I think you should be more concerned about getting into medical school in the first place. You are already limiting the pool of schools you can apply to, by applying when you're so young. It might also affect what hospitals you can get experience in during your course. When I was 17 I applied for hospital work experience and was turned down because the hospital didn't have insurance for under 18s to work there. I'm sure this is different hospital to hospital. But again, you are limiting your options.

Secondly, you are taking awful A Levels for someone who has their heart set on medicine. If you haven't already chosen them, I massively recommend you change them! English Lit and Psychology is completely useless for medical school. You really need to have Maths in there instead.

I've been interviewed by Oxbridge (admittedly for Chemistry, not medicine, but a lot of my friends who applied for medicine had the same feedback) and was turned down purely because my maths skills weren't strong enough in the interview. This was with a B at AS Level.
Original post by Ibeatu
Do you think they will let a sixteen year old live in halls of residence with students who are 18+?
This isn't for right now, its for my future.
I'm about to start A levels, and i'm nervous about when i apply for university, i know at sixteen i'll be allowed to live in my own flat but thats going to be expensive!

I don't want to have to email different universities yet as i think i'd be getting ahead of myself.

Is there any sixteen year olds who are in university now and living in halls?

Well you'll only be able to go to university before you're 18 if your parents are going to pay for everything I think because I don't think you're allowed to get a student loan until you're 18 and you won't even be allowed an overdraft, let alone a direct debit so I don't think it's viable to be honest. There was one girl in my flat who was 17 for the first term but her parents pay for everything... You shouldn't be going to university at 16 anyway, even if you can because you'll be too young to live away from home and worry about money etc. You'll also be constantly left out because you'll be too young to go out.
Reply 55
Original post by pixie_ears
I don't think you're going to have an issue being accepted into halls at sixteen. As other people have already said, they will just ask your parents to sign a form stating that the uni isn't your guardian.

I think you should be more concerned about getting into medical school in the first place. You are already limiting the pool of schools you can apply to, by applying when you're so young. It might also affect what hospitals you can get experience in during your course. When I was 17 I applied for hospital work experience and was turned down because the hospital didn't have insurance for under 18s to work there. I'm sure this is different hospital to hospital. But again, you are limiting your options.

Secondly, you are taking awful A Levels for someone who has their heart set on medicine. If you haven't already chosen them, I massively recommend you change them! English Lit and Psychology is completely useless for medical school. You really need to have Maths in there instead.

I've been interviewed by Oxbridge (admittedly for Chemistry, not medicine, but a lot of my friends who applied for medicine had the same feedback) and was turned down purely because my maths skills weren't strong enough in the interview. This was with a B at AS Level.

I am intending to teach myself Maths A-level but at my own pace as Maths is something I need to work on greatly. But thank you, i'll take that into consideration.
Reply 56
Original post by Ibeatu
I am intending to teach myself Maths A-level but at my own pace as Maths is something I need to work on greatly. But thank you, i'll take that into consideration.

Ignore that advice unless you're specifically aiming for Oxbridge. Your options aren't 'awful'. The only compulsory A Level requirement for medicine is chemistry, and biology at most places. The other choices don't really matter except for some Oxbridge colleges that require 3 sciences.
Reply 57
Original post by suncake
Ignore that advice unless you're specifically aiming for Oxbridge. Your options aren't 'awful'. The only compulsory A Level requirement for medicine is chemistry, and biology at most places. The other choices don't really matter except for some Oxbridge colleges that require 3 sciences.

Okay, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending