The Student Room Group

Uniform and Hijab: Discrimination?

I know women who wear the hijab (Muslim head covering) and have often suggested that the reason they didn't get a particular job was because they wore a hijab to the interview.

I don't know how true this actually is. What do you think? Does wearing a hijab give you a disadvantage? I'm thinking of office/sale jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I think it cerainly should be down to the eployer to decide if the headscarf is going to be an issue for their dress code.
Reply 2
Sure that makes sense. But in terms of a role where you have to dress smart (business suit) and have a customer focused role, do you think the head covering would be an issue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Aliyam91
Sure that makes sense. But in terms of a role where you have to dress smart (business suit) and have a customer focused role, do you think the head covering would be an issue?
Posted from TSR Mobile

It shouldn't be, but if it was an issue to an employer then would you really want the job anyway? :confused:
Reply 4
No, I wouldn't. I'm just nervous, I guess. It's tough enough getting a job, I just don't want the added pressure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending