The Student Room Group

Feeling very upset, scared and anxious as have to go dentist tomorrow for a tooth out

I have been feeling a hole in one of my back tooth (think it's the wisdom one) for the past few weeks, made an appointment to be seen by the dentist, saw him this week and he said you have very bad decay on that tooth, would you prefer a filling or for your tooth to be taken out? I opted for the tooth extraction :frown:

I am booked in tomorrow at I think 4:15 pm but now I am having second thoughts and am really freaking out. Is it to late to cancel now? the dentist told me last time I have already missed 2 appointments and if I miss any more I may be charged, despite this I cannot even recall any missed appointments :confused:

I would also like to know, if I

. Can go to the hospital to have it taken out and cancel my appointment tomorrow?

. If I go tomorrow will I be given anesthetic ?

. how long the process takes

will my tooth grow back ???????

oh yeah and finally.............. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stressed Eric
I have been feeling a hole in one of my back tooth (think it's the wisdom one) for the past few weeks, made an appointment to be seen by the dentist, saw him this week and he said you have very bad decay on that tooth, would you prefer a filling or for your tooth to be taken out? I opted for the tooth extraction :frown:

I am booked in tomorrow at I think 4:15 pm but now I am having second thoughts and am really freaking out. Is it to late to cancel now? the dentist told me last time I have already missed 2 appointments and if I miss any more I may be charged, despite this I cannot even recall any missed appointments :confused:

I would also like to know, if I

. Can go to the hospital to have it taken out and cancel my appointment tomorrow?

. If I go tomorrow will I be given anesthetic ?

. how long the process takes

will my tooth grow back ???????

oh yeah and finally.............. :frown:

I'm not a dentist or anything, but yes you will be given anaesthetic! And no your tooth won't grow back!

I had 2 canines and 2 molars removed, and I had anaesthetic, (just injections in the gum, I wasn't put to sleep). Its honestly not bad, you can feel them removing the tooth, but no pain :smile:

Good luck! And don't worry! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by x-Sophie-x
I'm not a dentist or anything, but yes you will be given anaesthetic! And no your tooth won't grow back!

I had 2 canines and 2 molars removed, and I had anaesthetic, (just injections in the gum, I wasn't put to sleep). Its honestly not bad, you can feel them removing the tooth, but no pain :smile:

Good luck! And don't worry! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you.

Do I have to ask for the anesthetic or will they offer it to me? if not what if I have to ask for it but forget because I'm so anxious?

Also what does it taste like and how long does it take for the anesthetic to take affect and do I have to like, have anesthetic and wait in the waiting room and then go back into the dentist operating thingy?
Reply 3
:frown:
Thank you.

Do I have to ask for the anesthetic or will they offer it to me? if not what if I have to ask for it but forget because I'm so anxious?

Also what does it taste like and how long does it take for the anesthetic to take affect and do I have to like, have anesthetic and wait in the waiting room and then go back into the dentist operating thingy?

They'll give anaesthetic without you having to ask, don't worry! Can't help with the rest unfortunately, I was pretty young when I got a tooth taken out and it all seemed a bit of an adventure at age 8, but as a current dentist-hater I can empathise... I had to get a filling two years ago and refused to open my mouth for a solid half-hour and they had to reschedule an appointment for me :frown: all the best though, it'll be over before you know it! :console:
Reply 5
They will offer you it (you won't have to ask) and you have the anasthetic and tooth removal all whilst you're in the chair! Don't panic about it, it's normal to be nervous, but you shouldn't feel any pain. Good Luck! (From a dental student)
I had a couple of teeth out back when I got braces... Isn't really that bad, few injection in the gum and roof of mouth.

Feels weird as **** when the dentist is there yanking your teeth and you can only feel a bit of pressure. He struggled to get mine out as well. Bastard was yanking this thing with all his might yet couldn't get it to come out.
Reply 7
Original post by Sweet-Caroline
They'll give anaesthetic without you having to ask, don't worry! Can't help with the rest unfortunately, I was pretty young when I got a tooth taken out and it all seemed a bit of an adventure at age 8, but as a current dentist-hater I can empathise... I had to get a filling two years ago and refused to open my mouth for a solid half-hour and they had to reschedule an appointment for me :frown: all the best though, it'll be over before you know it! :console:

What does the anesthetic taste like and how long does it take to take affect?
Original post by lou029
They will offer you it (you won't have to ask) and you have the anasthetic and tooth removal all whilst you're in the chair! Don't panic about it, it's normal to be nervous, but you shouldn't feel any pain. Good Luck! (From a dental student)

What does the anesthetic taste like and how long does it take to take affect?

Please tell me it isn't true that you can hear the crunch noise??

:ike:
I think when I had my teeth taken out, they did the anaesthectic and then I had to wait in the waiting room for 20 mins or something while it took effect.

They will give you the anaesthetic you don't have to ask for it.

Don't worry about it, the injections can be a little uncomfortable and if a bit of it drips on you it doesn't taste very nice but it's fine.
Reply 9
Yeah, you're panicking - I know how you feel.

Try to think what it would have been like if we were born a couple of hundred years earlier and there was no anaesthetic. We would have coped then, idfk how exactly, but we wouldn't have had a choice.

Whatever it's like, whether there's a little pain, or none at all (I don't think I felt any) you're still much better off than you might have been. Also, we're not having our arm cut off on The Victory; hopefully that puts it into perspective.

Worse case scenario: As you're lying in the chair, just think of Joe Swanson: "Bring it on!"
I know how it feels, I had 3 adult teeth and 4 baby teeth extracted when I was around 11.
You'll be given a local anaesthetic, if its the same as me you'll have 2 injections for your extraction (they don't hurt, just a bit uncomfortable). I remember a sharp bitter taste, but nothing that lasted. Then a wait of some amount of time for the anaesthetic to work, and no pain when the teeth were taken out. It feels a bit weird but don't panic, it doesn't hurt at all.
Your mouth will be numb for a few hours, I would advise not eating before it wears off otherwise you might bite your lip/cheek without knowing.
I remember being a bit achey once the numbness had gone, but drinking sugary tea through a straw helped for some reason. Otherwise paracetamol is your friend.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Nick1sHere
I had a couple of teeth out back when I got braces... Isn't really that bad, few injection in the gum and roof of mouth.

Feels weird as **** when the dentist is there yanking your teeth and you can only feel a bit of pressure. He struggled to get mine out as well. Bastard was yanking this thing with all his might yet couldn't get it to come out.

But what if I take the aesthetic but ti doesn't have any affect on me and I still feel pain?

also how long does the dentist wait after giving you the aesthetic does he start operating?
But what if I take the aesthetic but ti doesn't have any affect on me and I still feel pain?

also how long does the dentist wait after giving you the aesthetic does he start operating?

With mine they asked me if I felt anything, they wouldn't start unless they were sure you couldn't feel it.

Not sure it was a while ago, maybe 10 minutes? Hard to say, I lose track of time when in dentist
Reply 13
Original post by Nick1sHere
With mine they asked me if I felt anything, they wouldn't start unless they were sure you couldn't feel it.

Not sure it was a while ago, maybe 10 minutes? Hard to say, I lose track of time when in dentist

I'm really scared and am stressing out, I think it's 4 pm tomorrow
Can you ask for twilight sedation at your dentist?Google it if you're not sure.It'll make the whole thing less scary for you.
The dentist will do some checks to make sure the area is numb before he begins to take it out. Remember you probably won't need to use your rights-as it will all probably be fine BUT!If you want to, you can. If you want to tell the dentist 'Sorry, this is too stressful for me, please stop and we'll do it another time'-you can. This is your body, your mind-your rights-if you're at all uncomfortable with the situation-you can tell him to stop.
That might make you feel better-however the others are right-you probably won't need to. By teatime tomorrow all will be over :smile:
Reply 15
What is wrong with you?? Man up *****. Omg it's just the dentist, are you dizzy blad? I'll come to your mandem with my crew and we'll stand on your turf, come down my yard and i'll bitchslap you.
Reply 16
Original post by cheetahs56
What is wrong with you?? Man up *****. Omg it's just the dentist, are you dizzy blad? I'll come to your mandem with my crew and we'll stand on your turf, come down my yard and i'll bitchslap you.

I think you need to read my post again, I don't know why your acting offended I was only talking about myself and advice on how to calm my nerves and advice on what to do and I feel your post is very unhelpful and needs to be deleted
I had a few teeth out before getting my braces put in about 5ish months ago. The injection is quick, and in my case the anesthetic didn't take much time at all to numb the gums (I'm talking like, about 30 seconds for me?) I'm pretty positive my dentist puts some on the tongue too, but you can hardly taste anything. Once that's done, he'll start taking the tooth out. It feels a little strange but you do not feel any pain, whatsoever. Don't worry! There's no need to be scared or panic. If it will make you feel any better, tell your dentist you're a bit worried and ask him to talk you through the process and what he's doing beforehand. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by midnightcities
I had a few teeth out before getting my braces put in about 5ish months ago. The injection is quick, and in my case the anesthetic didn't take much time at all to numb the gums (I'm talking like, about 30 seconds for me?) I'm pretty positive my dentist puts some on the tongue too, but you can hardly taste anything. Once that's done, he'll start taking the tooth out. It feels a little strange but you do not feel any pain, whatsoever. Don't worry! There's no need to be scared or panic. If it will make you feel any better, tell your dentist you're a bit worried and ask him to talk you through the process and what he's doing beforehand. :smile:

thanks, sometimes I feel calm and the next I'm like, scared againnnnnnnnnn
I'm really scared and am stressing out, I think it's 4 pm tomorrow

I wouldn't worry about it, I remember being pretty worried about it but afterwards realised it wasn't even that big of a deal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending