The Student Room Group

AQA PSYA3/PSYA4 Psychology Revision Thread 10th/17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by mezzy07
Hey well I would suggest that for AO1, you have 4 paragraphs worth of AO1, roughly around 50-60 words if you can sum it up. Then I would say 8 paragraphs worth of A02, again 50-60 words.
So for example, in Perception, 'Outline & evaluate Gibson's bottom-up/direct theory of perception' you could do:

Outline the description, A01
1) First paragraph on optic flow
2) Second on Ecological, e.g. depth/distance and texture gradient
3) Invariants e.g. horizon-ratio etc
4) Resonance & affordance

Then evaluate using supporting research and about 2-3 IDA's. Apparently, according to my textbook and teacher, a good essay will have a maximum of 2 IDAs. So in this essay you could use One real-world application paragraph, and one nature vs nurtue paragraph.

Remember also that your A02 should flow so that it is easier for you and the examiner to read and understand what you have written. You don't have to follow this way of doing essays. Im using this and it has really worked for me thus far. If you need anymore help just let me know. Happy to help where I can. :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by mezzy07
Hey well I would suggest that for AO1, you have 4 paragraphs worth of AO1, roughly around 50-60 words if you can sum it up. Then I would say 8 paragraphs worth of A02, again 50-60 words.
So for example, in Perception, 'Outline & evaluate Gibson's bottom-up/direct theory of perception' you could do:

Outline the description, A01
1) First paragraph on optic flow
2) Second on Ecological, e.g. depth/distance and texture gradient
3) Invariants e.g. horizon-ratio etc
4) Resonance & affordance

Then evaluate using supporting research and about 2-3 IDA's. Apparently, according to my textbook and teacher, a good essay will have a maximum of 2 IDAs. So in this essay you could use One real-world application paragraph, and one nature vs nurtue paragraph.

Remember also that your A02 should flow so that it is easier for you and the examiner to read and understand what you have written. You don't have to follow this way of doing essays. Im using this and it has really worked for me thus far. If you need anymore help just let me know. Happy to help where I can. :smile:

How would you write the outline for Gregory ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey does anyone know the questions or have a copy of the January PSYA4 paper?
Reply 63
Original post by Nabzyawan
How would you write the outline for Gregory ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Gregory you could use:
1) Top-down necessary because visual input incomplete...

2) Perception is an interaction between knowledge in the brain & sensory data, and is then tested against reality...

3) Internal expectations based on past experience, e.g. Bruner et al. 1951, black hearts and red spades study

4) Misapplied hypotheses lead to errors of perception e.g. Muller-Lyer illusion

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 64
Original post by mezzy07
For Gregory you could use:
1) Top-down necessary because visual input incomplete...

2) Perception is an interaction between knowledge in the brain & sensory data, and is then tested against reality...

3) Internal expectations based on past experience, e.g. Bruner et al. 1951, black hearts and red spades study

4) Misapplied hypotheses lead to errors of perception e.g. Muller-Lyer illusion

Hope this helps:smile:

Thanks I used that as my guideline. What is the difference between perceptual abilities and perceptual development ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Perceptual abilities include depth/distance perception and visual constancies and Perceptual development includes infant and cross-cultural research.
Reply 66
Original post by Nabzyawan
Thanks I used that as my guideline. What is the difference between perceptual abilities and perceptual development ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perceptual abilities include depth/distance perception and visual constancies and Perceptual development includes infant and cross-cultural research.
Original post by Wizkidani
I'm resitting unit 2 + 4 whilst doing 3 xD I'm having a similar problem :/ I would say relax, understand each topic, make notes and memorise?

Oh gosh yeah i can understand. I'm doing little bits of revision for unit 4 at the moment but mainly focusing on getting a high grade in my AS and in the unit 3. I just really don't want to mess up in the research methods as thats my weak point, but i understand schizophrenia really well and media is okay. I just mainly need to bump up the AS lol...but it's easier said than done unfortunately! Thanks for your help, i've been doing brief brainstorms on the my notes that i already had, then doing a detailed outline question, then a detailed evaluation, then making an essay plan and writing the outline and evaluation all in one...seems to be working!
Reply 68
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
Hey does anyone know the questions or have a copy of the January PSYA4 paper?

I did the exam and failed :/ I vaguely remember the questions. For depression it was about the DSM classification, Addictions it was the learning model and erm interventions. And research methods was research methods :P It has quite a few questions about peer review and I remember that the last question was weird O.o
Reply 69
Original post by PerkyB
Oh gosh yeah i can understand. I'm doing little bits of revision for unit 4 at the moment but mainly focusing on getting a high grade in my AS and in the unit 3. I just really don't want to mess up in the research methods as thats my weak point, but i understand schizophrenia really well and media is okay. I just mainly need to bump up the AS lol...but it's easier said than done unfortunately! Thanks for your help, i've been doing brief brainstorms on the my notes that i already had, then doing a detailed outline question, then a detailed evaluation, then making an essay plan and writing the outline and evaluation all in one...seems to be working!

Aww, I'm doing depression and addictions :frown:
Ahhh good ideaa, I might try that!
There's not much time though and there's just WAY too much to do -_-
hellooooo

im doing Relationships, aggression and eating disorders for unit 3
schizophrenia, research methods and anomalistic for unit 4

im actually gonna be doing all of the units this summer :colondollar: but i think its ok. i know exactly where i messed up for unit 1 and exactly where i messed up unit 4
Aww, I'm doing depression and addictions :frown:
Ahhh good ideaa, I might try that!
There's not much time though and there's just WAY too much to do -_-

The word sounds depressing itself haha let alone studying it! I find that even though there isn't much time what i do for revision seems to get alot of the topics done and then you can just mark them, improve them a little if need be, then learn the essays and key researchers. That way when it comes to the exam, you know that you have done the majority of 'potential' exam questions. So i just go on the AQA website print off all the past paper questions put them into a booklet and work through them. Just splitting the question up into outline, then ill do an evaluation then just combine the two :smile:

I have three psychology and three biology so i have a heck of a lot too :/ tbh i don't even know the date of the unit 2 exam :/
Reply 72
Original post by PerkyB
The word sounds depressing itself haha let alone studying it! I find that even though there isn't much time what i do for revision seems to get alot of the topics done and then you can just mark them, improve them a little if need be, then learn the essays and key researchers. That way when it comes to the exam, you know that you have done the majority of 'potential' exam questions. So i just go on the AQA website print off all the past paper questions put them into a booklet and work through them. Just splitting the question up into outline, then ill do an evaluation then just combine the two :smile:

I have three psychology and three biology so i have a heck of a lot too :/ tbh i don't even know the date of the unit 2 exam :/

Awww hahaa yeah! Depression is depressing -.- And sounds like a good idea to be honest :') The PSYA2 exam is on the 5th of June :smile: and awhh :c Goood luck! I have 7 exams in summer :frown:
Reply 73
Would any A grade students please mark my essay? It's on the biological explanations of depression. My teachers just told me I got 17/24 but he wouldn't give me any feed back -,-
I want to know how to improveee and get to maybe 21+ marks on it :smile:
If anyone wants to briefly read it and give me feedback, just quote me and I'll pm you :smile:
Is anyone else doing addiction?
Reply 75
Original post by GeoMash
Is anyone else doing addiction?

I am :P
Reply 76
Original post by mezzy07
Hey, to get an A* would one have to achieve an A overall and 90+ ums in Units 3 & 4?

What marks have u got so far? It depends what you have got in units 1 and 2 as well
Reply 77
Original post by missemma1
What marks have u got so far? It depends what you have got in units 1 and 2 as well

Hey well I managed to check on a thread on TSR and apparently it doesnt matter what you get in the AS units, as long as your overall grade is an A and you get 90% in the A2 units you can achieve an A*.

What mark do you need to be able to receive an A*?

*80% UMS overall
*90% UMS Overall for the A2 units

You can't get an A* at AS and you don't get it for getting 90% overall. Only the A2 units count towards an A* meaning even if you get 100% in your AS units, if you get 89% in your A2 units you won't get an A*.

For Maths you need to get 90% avaerage in C3 and C4 and not 3 A2 units like the others. The 80% overall still stands
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
Would love notes on aggression and research methods ;D

As soon as I've done them they're yours :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Would any A grade students please mark my essay? It's on the biological explanations of depression. My teachers just told me I got 17/24 but he wouldn't give me any feed back -,-
I want to know how to improveee and get to maybe 21+ marks on it :smile:
If anyone wants to briefly read it and give me feedback, just quote me and I'll pm you :smile:

Uh I'm not a Grade a student as such but I know the criteria very well; I can mark it for you if you'd like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending