The Student Room Group

AQA PSYA3/PSYA4 Psychology Revision Thread 10th/17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by superstahh
As soon as I've done them they're yours :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd be interested in seeing your research methods notes if that's okay?
Reply 81
Original post by GeoMash
Heheh, people aiming for A/A*s and I'll cry tears of happiness if I scrape a C/B.
Man, I have not enjoyed psychology at all, got a C overall at AS, and got a D in Psya3 this Jan. It's weird, because I get A's in my other two subjects, but I just can't seem to get my head around psychology essays :s-smilie:

Hey D buddy. I feel guilty about mine :frown: Had a resit the day before the exam so I was focused on that, didn't revise until late in the evening. Now I have PSYA4 the same day as a biology exam. Why the guilt? He kept telling me he wanted me to do well because I try so hard.
My teacher is weird and wont let me resit, he wants me to get a remark for it but will only let me resit an AS module. I enjoy it so much , wish I'd picked to take it degree level but oh no my brain just went HEY! TAKE BIOLOGY! YOU LOVE IT. Now I'm towards the end of A2 and I'm dying inside. My psychology teacher is bad, he goes off topic so frequently, we had a half hour psychology lesson from 2 hours because he couldn't focus on the content and started yapping about his experience with spiders in Australia. :/ The fact I still like it and don't get taught it well surely says something... BLEHHH
I much prefer PSYA3 to PSYA4 though.
I'm taking Research methods, media, and phobias. Care to explain why even though he knows that most go for schizophrenia he picks phobias following with, nobody really teaches it, it'll annoy them when they mark because they'll have to look at the book so they can tell if you've made a slight mistake.
All hail my clever teacher :s-smilie:

Sorry if I find I've killed a micro revision session with my comment.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by mezzy07
Hey well I managed to check on a thread on TSR and apparently it doesnt matter what you get in the AS units, as long as your overall grade is an A and you get 90% in the A2 units you can achieve an A*.

What mark do you need to be able to receive an A*?

*80% UMS overall
*90% UMS Overall for the A2 units

You can't get an A* at AS and you don't get it for getting 90% overall. Only the A2 units count towards an A* meaning even if you get 100% in your AS units, if you get 89% in your A2 units you won't get an A*.

For Maths you need to get 90% avaerage in C3 and C4 and not 3 A2 units like the others. The 80% overall still stands

Thanks for letting me know. Im not aiming for an A* im on a grade D. In my dreams am I gna get an A* lol
Reply 83
Original post by eelnais
I'd be interested in seeing your research methods notes if that's okay?

hey eelnais,
you got 100% in psya3 right?
did you do any of these topics: relationships, aggression and eating behaviour.
I messed up psya3 and need tips on how to get at least an A please! :frown:
Thanks.
Original post by Wizkidani
Awww hahaa yeah! Depression is depressing -.- And sounds like a good idea to be honest :') The PSYA2 exam is on the 5th of June :smile: and awhh :c Goood luck! I have 7 exams in summer :frown:

Hahaha bet it is! and woo :biggrin: Oh really i thought it would have been sooner than that! Well gives me plenty of time to prepare then :biggrin: and you too! :smile:
Reply 85
As soon as I've done them they're yours :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 86
Uh I'm not a Grade a student as such but I know the criteria very well; I can mark it for you if you'd like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww, that'll be great thanks :') I'll pm you now :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by PerkyB
Hahaha bet it is! and woo :biggrin: Oh really i thought it would have been sooner than that! Well gives me plenty of time to prepare then :biggrin: and you too! :smile:

Yeah it does :smile: but I have so many exams xD
Reply 88
Original post by Keelhaul
Hey D buddy. I feel guilty about mine :frown: Had a resit the day before the exam so I was focused on that, didn't revise until late in the evening. Now I have PSYA4 the same day as a biology exam. Why the guilt? He kept telling me he wanted me to do well because I try so hard.
My teacher is weird and wont let me resit, he wants me to get a remark for it but will only let me resit an AS module. I enjoy it so much , wish I'd picked to take it degree level but oh no my brain just went HEY! TAKE BIOLOGY! YOU LOVE IT. Now I'm towards the end of A2 and I'm dying inside. My psychology teacher is bad, he goes off topic so frequently, we had a half hour psychology lesson from 2 hours because he couldn't focus on the content and started yapping about his experience with spiders in Australia. :/ The fact I still like it and don't get taught it well surely says something... BLEHHH
I much prefer PSYA3 to PSYA4 though.
I'm taking Research methods, media, and phobias. Care to explain why even though he knows that most go for schizophrenia he picks phobias following with, nobody really teaches it, it'll annoy them when they mark because they'll have to look at the book so they can tell if you've made a slight mistake.
All hail my clever teacher :s-smilie:

Sorry if I find I've killed a micro revision session with my comment.

Omg, I'm feeling in a similar way to you xD
My teacher is rubbish but I love Psychology! I want to do it at uni but our teacher well never teaches -_-
Reply 89
Original post by eelnais
Hey - I got 92%, but I can still help if you want! I did relationships and aggression.

I'm attempting to attach a document that had some essay plans I wrote for relationships, aggression and cognition and development (so ignore that part). Hopefully I'll be able to get that up soon!

Most of my notes were written though, but what I did was write my notes whilst speaking them at the same time, then once I had done a little bit, say formation of relationships, read that through again and then tried to speak all of it without looking and did this until I could. Then when it got closer to the time I handed my book of notes to my Mum and spoke them to her, with her checking I said everything.

Anything else you want some help with? :smile:

These are great :biggrin: I'm doing relationships + aggression too as well as gender :smile:
Reply 90
Hi everyone :smile: I'm a complete newbie here so I haven't been watching the thread too much, but I found a really helpful website for getting those nasty AO2 marks, I know I struggle much more with AO2 than AO1! I'm doing PSYA3+4 in the summer so I've been writing out model answers and learning them off by heart :smile:

Here is the link, it takes a little bit of scrolling to get to the useful part, hope it's helpful :smile: x

http://alevelpsychology.co.uk/news/misc/how-to-write-a-psychology-essay.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Original post by eelnais
Hey - I got 92%, but I can still help if you want! I did relationships and aggression.

I'm attempting to attach a document that had some essay plans I wrote for relationships, aggression and cognition and development (so ignore that part). Hopefully I'll be able to get that up soon!

Most of my notes were written though, but what I did was write my notes whilst speaking them at the same time, then once I had done a little bit, say formation of relationships, read that through again and then tried to speak all of it without looking and did this until I could. Then when it got closer to the time I handed my book of notes to my Mum and spoke them to her, with her checking I said everything.

Anything else you want some help with? :smile:

Thanks you so much for this! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by hafzaaa
OMG, I am doing the EXACT same ones as you in unit 4 :O

In unit 3 I did Eating, Aggression and Gender I got a B in that exam :smile:

Im re sitting unit 2 in may as was FUBARD

What do u think of these topics? Research methods isnt that bad tbh as I was told it was a killer. Media is really boring though :frown:

Hey, I'm doing unit 3 this summer and doing the exact same topics you did, wondering you have any model I answers you could send me?
I'm doing unit 1, unit 3 and nit 4 this summer as i need to get my grades up! I'm freaking out that I'm not going to get decent grades as i averaged at a D last year and I did pretty badly in the January exam, so i need to push them up as I'm hoping to psychology at uni as i really enjoy it!

I'm doing:
unit 1: attachments and memory
unit 3: sleep/biological rhythms, aggression and relationships.
unit 4: parapsychology and phobias.

would be really grateful for any tips on the course and revision etc :smile:
Reply 94
Hey I'm doing psya4 and resorting unit 1 and 2 in June.... For unit 4 I'm doing depression addiction and research methods. If anyone could help me with model essays on addiction and possible essays on depression I would really appreciate it please x
Reply 95
Original post by Ifa_94
Hi I'm re sitting psych 4...doing depression, addiction and obv research methods.
Does anybody have any predictions for questions on depression??
Also I'm finding research methods really hard my average mark is 19/35. Can anyone suggest any tips or useful websites where I can get help with research methods??

I'm doing the same topics as you for unit 4 please help me do u have any predictions or model essays or possible essay questions I'm really panicking! X
Reply 96
Hi Guys,
I have two exams in June. PSYA3 and PSYA4

I need to smash PSYA4 for my overall A and am making this my focus. I need the A for my university offer!
Topics: Schizophrenia, Media and RM

Im finding it very difficult to choose which theories I use for the different areas.

Schizo- For psychological explanations in particular I've found tonnes of resouces but aren't really sure which ones to use to take notes on.
Meida- This is very confusing.

So basically

Any tips in terms of how to do this unit from scratch independently?
> Which resources to use.
> Should I use exemplar essays straight away?...
>Anything else?

I've been using getrevising but its hard to choose which theories to keep and which to discard

if anyone does have any resouces they think I could use.. please message me :smile:

Thank You very much
Reply 97
So basically

Any tips in terms of how to do this unit from scratch independently?
> Which resources to use.
> Should I use exemplar essays straight away?...
>Anything else?

I've been using getrevising but its hard to choose which theories to keep and which to discard

if anyone does have any resouces they think I could use.. please message me :smile:

Thank You very much

Hey I'm doing the exact topics as u in unit4. In regards to psychological explanations of schizo I would say that u should focus on a total of 2 explanations. Full mark questions will always ask for two or more, for e.gDescribe two or more psychological explanations of schizo'
The two explanations that I am focusing on are The cognitive explanation and Social-cultural factors.

In terms of Media I would suggest that you use psychexchange.co.uk (the website has a new name but if u type this one in it should come up). It is very, very useful and far better than getrevising.
Media is all about applying the knowledge to the scenarios they give and shaping your answer to the question. Once you know the knowledge you wi be alright. Practice questions for that section and u will be really good.
One other thing, make sure u have completed all your notes now so that u just go along over your notes until the exams.
I hope I havent confused u too much and I hope I've managed to help.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 98
Wondering A2 people, what's A2 psychology like ? For unit 3 i will do aggression, relationship and perception. Are these 'friendly topics' ? Or is friendly non existent ? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
Wondering A2 people, what's A2 psychology like ? For unit 3 i will do aggression, relationship and perception. Are these 'friendly topics' ? Or is friendly non existent ? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generally I find it a lot more interesting, although I'm not too keen on relationships and it was quite an uncomfortable topic in places :/ the essays are also harder, but by then you tend to be more comfortable with the subject :smile: perception is also pretty good, some of the stuff is absolutely fascinating but also mind bending, such as prosopagnosia (inability to recognise faces)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending