The Student Room Group

Stats on Calculator

I have a Casio fx-991ES PLUS calculator and am looking for a way to get it to calculate stat coefficients for me.

I can get it into Stat Mode, and then type in the relevant data, but from there, how do I get the value of:

a) r, the PMCC
b) rs, Spearman's rank coefficient
c) the coefficients a and b for the regression line of y on x (such that y=a-bx)
d) the coefficients c and d for the regression line of x on y (such that x=c-dy)

Edit: a) and c) have been answered. b) and d) still unanswered.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Big-Daddy
I have a Casio fx-991ES PLUS calculator and am looking for a way to get it to calculate stat coefficients for me.

I can get it into Stat Mode, and then type in the relevant data, but from there, how do I get the value of:

a) r, the PMCC
b) rs, Spearman's rank coefficient
c) the coefficients a and b for the regression line of y on x (such that y=a-bx)
d) the coefficients c and d for the regression line of x on y (such that x=c-dy)

i have just started a stats module, i have a Casio also so it should be pretty similar although i can only help with the points for a and c. Once you have gone into stats mode on the calculator and A+BX, put in your data values and then press AC, the values will be kept in the memory of the calculator, then press shift and the |-STAT-| button (where the number 1 button is)
pressing 2)data will bring the table back up
Selecting 'reg' will give you options for r, the pmcc, A and B also for the line

i am honestly not sure about find rs, but maybe you can reverse the table values and change the x and y in the table (it might be tedious though) to find the c and d value you are looking for? sorry it is just an idea
Reply 2
Original post by callous-b
i have just started a stats module, i have a Casio also so it should be pretty similar although i can only help with the points for a and c. Once you have gone into stats mode on the calculator and A+BX, put in your data values and then press AC, the values will be kept in the memory of the calculator, then press shift and the |-STAT-| button (where the number 1 button is)
pressing 2)data will bring the table back up
Selecting 'reg' will give you options for r, the pmcc, A and B also for the line

i am honestly not sure about find rs, but maybe you can reverse the table values and change the x and y in the table (it might be tedious though) to find the c and d value you are looking for? sorry it is just an idea

Thank you, that's a good start. :smile: We've got a) and c). By the way are you sure r is PMCC rather than Spearman's rank? I'm worried about the notation the calculator might be using ... (I think we can assume it will be the same between our Casios)
Original post by Big-Daddy

Here's your manual. Regression is on page 52.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
Here's your manual. Regression is on page 52.

Thank you. :smile:

Could you have a look at my stats question thread? There are a few things I'm unclear on.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2310296

Quick Reply

Latest