The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

How easy is it to switch courses at LSE?

I have an unconditional right now for BSc Business Maths with Stats but want to switch to BSc Maths and Econ.

Do i tell my tutor on the first day that i want to switch?

More importantly, how hard/easy is it to switch?
Reply 1
From what I heard it is difficult to switch and it's very unlikely that you will be able to. I think your application has to be considered again but don't hold me to that. Give LSE an email and ask.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
I initially applied for Actuarial Science and received an offer but then decided I wanted to do Mathematics with Economics instead. I emailed them and they said if I wanted to switch I would be considered as a new applicant and there would be little to no chance I would get in. I then emailed the Maths department and they said the course in the first year for Actuarial Science is exactly the same as Mathematics with Economics and that if I wanted to, I could, after the first year, change and be considered a second year Mathematics with Economics student.

If your first year modules are similar/the same to Maths and Econ then they probably will let you switch after the first year.
Reply 3
I was also wondering about this. Since Business maths and stats and Maths and Econ have the same first year, surely it would be easy to switch
Reply 4
you need 2 2.1s and 2 2.2s to switch (and to do the same first year)

btw there's no such thing as a 1.1. Just call it a first.
Reply 5
Original post by JWz
From what I heard it is difficult to switch and it's very unlikely that you will be able to. I think your application has to be considered again but don't hold me to that. Give LSE an email and ask.

Who told you that?

At OP, don't worry about it now, the better your grades are the easier it will be to switch after the first year.

Do NOT email them. You will not be able (or very unlikely to) switch before you even start. But since the first year is exactly the same in both degrees (you obviously have to choose Intro to Abstract Maths as your option) it doesn't matter. See the relevant people towards the end of the first year and talk about a switch.
Reply 6
Original post by blackk
I was also wondering about this. Since Business maths and stats and Maths and Econ have the same first year, surely it would be easy to switch

It is not that easy since one is in Stats the other in Maths department.

But yes, switching does happen and it is relatively "easy" if you get good grades.
Reply 7
everything is easier once you're actually in the school. i know someone who switched four times in MT.

however, the previous posters are right when they say that you will probably have to do one year and get the grades to switch. do notify your acad advisor of your intention when you meet him/her as he/she will be in a better position to find out for you anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending