The Student Room Group

I've been given a conditional offer I can't get, help!?

I finished school last year and took a gap year. My grades when I left school were BCC. I retook two modules in January independant of my previous college and moved my grades to BBB this allowed me to apply to do radiography.

I applied to Exeter who require CBB-ABB and I had my interview. They gave me a conditional yesterday on the condition that I get an ABB grade.... The problem is I can't improve them as I have already left school. I've rung Exeter admissions and they say there is nothing that can be done.

I feel this is really unfair, other people have been offered BBB or CBB. I know that the conditional is within their requested grades and they're probably within their rights to offer an ABB, but it is just so frustrating :mad: . I spent the first six months working a full time jobs and revising for two modules. Only to be told I have to get an unobtainable grade to go to their university.

Can anyone offer me some advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by wsshel
I finished school last year and took a gap year. My grades when I left school were BCC. I retook two modules in January independant of my previous college and moved my grades to BBB this allowed me to apply to do radiography.

I applied to Exeter who require CBB-ABB and I had my interview. They gave me a conditional yesterday on the condition that I get an ABB grade.... The problem is I can't improve them as I have already left school. I've rung Exeter admissions and they say there is nothing that can be done.

I feel this is really unfair, other people have been offered BBB or CBB. I know that the conditional is within their requested grades and they're probably within their rights to offer an ABB, but it is just so frustrating :mad: . I spent the first six months working a full time jobs and revising for two modules. Only to be told I have to get an unobtainable grade to go to their university.

Thats weird. Did the university already know that you had left school and were on a gap year? I would say maybe call the head of the radiography department as it is his course. If that doesn't work, on results day try and get a place when others miss out on the grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Do you think you could take an exam again and get an A? I'm sure you've thought of that but it's the only thing I can think of..
Its a really tight situation. Sorry :/
Original post by laraali1
Do you think you could take an exam again and get an A? I'm sure you've thought of that but it's the only thing I can think of..
Its a really tight situation. Sorry :/

The issue is that the time has passed to enter for exams.
Reply 4
Original post by PythianLegume

Ohh right the deadline was last month or so.. Ah crap. :/
Reply 5
Original post by PythianLegume

Isn't late entry possible? With an extra fee of course
Reply 6
Original post by Alex360
Thats weird. Did the university already know that you had left school and were on a gap year? I would say maybe call the head of the radiography department as it is his course. If that doesn't work, on results day try and get a place when others miss out on the grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I rang them this morning and admissions said there was nothing to be done :frown: . Thanks Alex360, I will try and contact the head of radiography and maybe they could help me out.

If anyone has experience with this or with Exeter's admissions process I would be grateful to hear more advice.

Edit: About retaking, The two CCs I had were both 5 ums points off a B. I got two A's in january but I would still need to get another 40 ums to go up a grade, it would be fairly difficult.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Exact same thing happened to me. I finished school with A*AC (the C was in biology) and took a gap year. I applied to do Psychology at Cardiff, I even emailed them asking whether they'd consider me and they said if they were to give an offer it would be an unconditional, because A*AC is equivalent to AAB which are their requirements. I send off my application and low and behold I get a conditional offer for an A in the biology!

It was so infuriating, especially because whilst I was only a few marks (I think it was like 4/6) off of a B, I was way off of an A. So I had to resist two exams in June as an external candidate at my old school. Phone up your school and they shouldn't mind, a lot of school leavers do it.

In the end I got a B, not an A...but they accepted me anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Oh of course it's too late to enter for exams...then I strongly suggest you phone up the radiography department that is unfair.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by wsshel

A similar thing happened to me. I received a conditional from my first choice and they want me to pass all modules of my Health and Social Policy course. The problem is, is that I dropped out of that course two months ago and they were aware of that. I have to wait until they come back after Easter holidays but I can imagine that they will say the same thing to me as what you have been told.

My only guess is that you just have to phone them again, or go see them personally if you really want to get into this course. If they gave you a conditional then they are obviously interested in you. It's a bit silly of them to say that there's nothing they can do. They can, they're just choosing not to and are just wasting their own time. Hope everything works out for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My God, and I thought Exeter was a Good university. Surely they don't offer to people with 'Cs' *that* often.
That is pretty unfair. I think the best thing you could do is try and persuade them to lower the grades required since it's too late to enter for exams. Who knows, they may well accept you anyway, especially considering the number of people applying for uni has gone down so much.
Original post by rainbow.panda
That is pretty unfair. I think the best thing you could do is try and persuade them to lower the grades required since it's too late to enter for exams. Who knows, they may well accept you anyway, especially considering the number of people applying for uni has gone down so much.

Yeah hopefully they will offer me a place in August or July. I've got an interview with Cardiff as well so with a bit of luck everything will be ok. Just hate being stuck in UCAS limbo for another month or so.

thanks for the replies btw guys :smile:
Original post by Azarimanka
My God, and I thought Exeter was a Good university. Surely they don't offer to people with 'Cs' *that* often.

I got BCC and I'm going to Durham.

U mad bro?
Reply 14
Ask your referee to email them explaining - or even just email them yourself. The person on the phone is unlikely to be the one making decisions, and probably just thought you were demanding a lower offer without a good reason.

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 15
Original post by Rooster523
I got BCC and I'm going to Durham.

U mad bro?

I wasn't the person you were replying to so I'm not "mad bro" haha, I'm just wondering what you have applied to do? I assumed all their courses were AAA or thereabouts.
Original post by shannahb
I wasn't the person you were replying to so I'm not "mad bro" haha, I'm just wondering what you have applied to do? I assumed all their courses were AAA or thereabouts.

Biomedical Science with a foundation year. I've got good GCSE's, reasonable A-Levels...just had a bit of a crap second year of sixth form
Reply 17
Original post by Rooster523
Biomedical Science with a foundation year. I've got good GCSE's, reasonable A-Levels...just had a bit of a crap second year of sixth form

oh, cool. i was hoping it might be psychology so i could apply there but hey! good luck with uni and everything then :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by wsshel
I rang them this morning and admissions said there was nothing to be done :frown: . Thanks Alex360, I will try and contact the head of radiography and maybe they could help me out.

If anyone has experience with this or with Exeter's admissions process I would be grateful to hear more advice.

Edit: About retaking, The two CCs I had were both 5 ums points off a B. I got two A's in january but I would still need to get another 40 ums to go up a grade, it would be fairly difficult.

The admissions people will keep sending you back to medical imaging who will send you to admissions over and over....
Hope you have got somewhere but if not, best bet would be to keep trying to call Julian Moger on the number listed here: http://emps.exeter.ac.uk/physics-astronomy/staff/jmoger

He rarely answers, but I've found that's much more successful than emailing. Sure he must be really busy, but he doesn't seem to reply to emails.

Other person who is very helpful (and always seems to know who to direct you to if she can't help) is Fiona Ayre ([email protected]).

Dr. Karren Knapp is Director of Education for medical imaging, her email can be found from searching exeter website, but she might not be the best person to deal with it, not sure, ask Fiona (who also has a phone number, search website).

Maybe this is all resolved now but I saw it and felt for you! I have had problems getting answers about things. I was studying English at Exeter 2011/2012 and have applied to transfer courses and now been offered a place to start radiography in Sept. Didn't use UCAS, transferred internally, and it has meant a lot of time spent on phone and emails!
Reply 19
Did you manage to speak to someone?

Best bet is to keep calling Dr. Julian Moger http://emps.exeter.ac.uk/physics-astronomy/staff/jmoger
He doesn't reply to emails in my experience (probably very busy) but sometimes you can catch him in his office if you call.

Or search Exeter website for contact information for Fiona Ayre who is very helpful and can put you in touch with the right person if she can't help.

I have been transferring from English to Radiography internally, not using UCAS, which has thrown up some problems. I know what it's like talking to admissions - they are super busy so not always the best of help.

Hope you can sort something out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending