The Student Room Group

Student finance, change in household income

My dad just got made redundant and i was wondering if there was a way to change my circumstances with student finance midway through a year? ie can i get more money in may? im currently on the minimum of everything, and would be elligible for nearly the maximum just taking my mums earnings into account.
Original post by pieman531
My dad just got made redundant and i was wondering if there was a way to change my circumstances with student finance midway through a year? ie can i get more money in may? im currently on the minimum of everything, and would be elligible for nearly the maximum just taking my mums earnings into account.

Unfortunately not. They go on a previous years earnings and therefore won't take this into account for this year.

If you start to really struggle, go speak to your university, a lot of them have things in place to help people in these situations.

x
Reply 2
I'm in the same situation but haven't yet started uni. little confused as to what to do. :frown:
Original post by Rhiani-ani-on
Unfortunately not. They go on a previous years earnings and therefore won't take this into account for this year.

If you start to really struggle, go speak to your university, a lot of them have things in place to help people in these situations.

x

Actually:
http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/full-time-study/parents-and-partners-of-students/if-your-income-has-dropped-by-15-per-cent.aspx
Original post by bboneyxx
I'm in the same situation but haven't yet started uni. little confused as to what to do. :frown:

You still need to apply with the 11/12 tax year details, but if there has been a drop of 15% or more in total household income your parents can do a CYI assessment.

http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/full-time-study/parents-and-partners-of-students/if-your-income-has-dropped-by-15-per-cent.aspx

x

UTTER RUBBISH! OP you can ask for a current year assessment and you will get amended loans and grants.

Ahh fair enough... is this a new rule for this September or have I just missed something? I was sure when we filled my stuff in for this year (12/13) it didn't matter that my dad was earning a lot less than the previous year.... maybe I just missed it....which is pretty annoying, I could have done with a bit extra this year...

Original post by balotelli12
UTTER RUBBISH! OP you can ask for a current year assessment and you will get amended loans and grants.

Ok... calm down.... it has already been pointed out I made a mistake, no need to shout about it.
Ahh fair enough... is this a new rule for this September or have I just missed something? I was sure when we filled my stuff in for this year (12/13) it didn't matter that my dad was earning a lot less than the previous year.... maybe I just missed it....which is pretty annoying, I could have done with a bit extra this year...

Ok... calm down.... it has already been pointed out I made a mistake, no need to shout about it.

New rule!!

It has always been so!!

I got it the year you missed it.

You missed it that's all.

I think it's still possible to get a CYI done on 12/13, so long as the original application was means tested
Reply 9
Original post by pieman531

you still put the p60 for last year, but near the time if the job situation hasnt changed by results day can fill in additional forms for extra support financially and get a grant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending