The Student Room Group

A level decisions

What A Levels are best to take to study dentistry at Manchester University?
I was thinning
-maths
-chemistry
-biology
-food technology
:confused:
The first 3 are fine, but food technology wouldn't be the best option. You should do a contrasting subject to make you look 'well-rounded' for example, a foreign language or an arts or humanity subject (e.g. History, English Literature, Philosophy, etc).

But it's up to you, your first 3 are excellent choices for dentistry. Make sure you get relative work experience as well (I don't do dentistry, so I'm not entirely sure).
Reply 2
Original post by Fool In The Rain
The first 3 are fine, but food technology wouldn't be the best option. You should do a contrasting subject to make you look 'well-rounded' for example, a foreign language or an arts or humanity subject (e.g. History, English Literature, Philosophy, etc).

But it's up to you, your first 3 are excellent choices for dentistry. Make sure you get relative work experience as well (I don't do dentistry, so I'm not entirely sure).

I've got my work experience and enrichment sorted! Would you suggest economics instead of food tech then? They are the only two I can take in the option columns I have got
Don't take food tech!!!! I take it now and I hate it :frown: I enjoyed it at GCSE but its just not fun at A level!
Did you do food tech GCSE?
Original post by Claudia Ellis
What A Levels are best to take to study dentistry at Manchester University?
I was thinning
-maths
-chemistry
-biology
-food technology
:confused:
Reply 4
Yeah, I take gcse food tech! What is wrong with a level food tech?
I've got my work experience and enrichment sorted! Would you suggest economics instead of food tech then? They are the only two I can take in the option columns I have got

Yes economics could be a good idea :smile: It's a "hard" subject and slightly contrasting.
Reply 6
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Don't take food tech!!!! I take it now and I hate it :frown: I enjoyed it at GCSE but its just not fun at A level!
Did you do food tech GCSE?

Reply 7
Original post by lilixxx1000
Yes economics could be a good idea :smile: It's a "hard" subject and slightly contrasting.

The only thing that puts me off economics is the fact there is a a lot of essay writing and I am stronger at maths and science as opposed to English! Will this put me at a disadvantage?
The only thing that puts me off economics is the fact there is a a lot of essay writing and I am stronger at maths and science as opposed to English! Will this put me at a disadvantage?

I think economics contains a fair bit of maths but I'm not certain. Are economics and food tech really the only two things available?

the spec content isn't very interesting
For edexcel
year 12- industrial processes (cleaning/harvesting etc), nutrients (fats/carbs/protein) and manufacturing processes (as well as other things)

year 13- much more food science(milk production/cheese production/fruit ripening) and things like product development and what affects it etc.

in both years you get some coursework (the worst part). Its the only part where you do need to cook, but what you do cook has to be very highly skilled and very technical.
The written side is very long and frustrating as there is so much of it. May just be my teachers adding to it by telling us to copy last years coursework format.

If you wanna know more message me :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by lilixxx1000
I think economics contains a fair bit of maths but I'm not certain. Are economics and food tech really the only two things available?

I looked at a paper and it was just 10 marks essays and that. Yeah, with the gcses I am getting, I could do psychology but that is a definite no as it is only accepted as a C at the university I would like to go to
Reply 11
the spec content isn't very interesting
For edexcel
year 12- industrial processes (cleaning/harvesting etc), nutrients (fats/carbs/protein) and manufacturing processes (as well as other things)

year 13- much more food science(milk production/cheese production/fruit ripening) and things like product development and what affects it etc.

in both years you get some coursework (the worst part). Its the only part where you do need to cook, but what you do cook has to be very highly skilled and very technical.
The written side is very long and frustrating as there is so much of it. May just be my teachers adding to it by telling us to copy last years coursework format.

If you wanna know more message me :smile:

Oh yeah, I really enjoyed gcse food tech, probably my favourite option! I am really undecided on what to take for a level! I put food tech down because it was the one that fitted in with my other choices and sounded the most interesting! Maybe I will have a chat with my subject teachers and see what they think is best and what I am capable of.

Thank you
Oh yeah, I really enjoyed gcse food tech, probably my favourite option! I am really undecided on what to take for a level! I put food tech down because it was the one that fitted in with my other choices and sounded the most interesting! Maybe I will have a chat with my subject teachers and see what they think is best and what I am capable of.

Thank you

I did too, just felt like A level was different to what the teachers told us :/ They said we would cook twice a week and cook most weeks. We barely cooked and only cooked for coursework.

From your other options I think you would be fine with the food science side of it :smile: But I think it could be more enjoyable with better teachers haha

Yes, I would suggest economics, since it's a somewhat contrasting subject (a bit of maths, a bit of essay writing). But, again, it's all up to you, do what you enjoy, but is also beneficial to your choices, so if you enjoy economics, then go for it, if not, you still have 3 excellent subjects that are perfect for dentistry alongside food tech :smile:. You can always drop food tech at A2 if you want though.
Reply 14
I did too, just felt like A level was different to what the teachers told us :/ They said we would cook twice a week and cook most weeks. We barely cooked and only cooked for coursework.

From your other options I think you would be fine with the food science side of it :smile: But I think it could be more enjoyable with better teachers haha

Thank you that is really helpful!
Reply 15
Original post by Fool In The Rain
Yes, I would suggest economics, since it's a somewhat contrasting subject (a bit of maths, a bit of essay writing). But, again, it's all up to you, do what you enjoy, but is also beneficial to your choices, so if you enjoy economics, then go for it, if not, you still have 3 excellent subjects that are perfect for dentistry alongside food tech :smile:. You can always drop food tech at A2 if you want though.

Yeah, still not completely decided I spoke to the person giving me enrichment before and she said that food shows contrasting skills and would be beneficial! I don't know what to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending