The Student Room Group

LLB Law entry requirements AAA at Oxford?

I was looking through university prospectuses ( I'm applying later this year) and was surprised to find that Oxford's entry requirements for LLB Law is AAA. In comparison, LSE and KCL's entry requirement are higher at A*AA. I've always assumed Oxford would have higher entry requirements than the other universities. So although Oxford's entry requirement is AAA do they usually accept students that transcend those predictions and get A*AA or A*A*A* ? Also do they adjust the offer depending on the type of school you go to, so if you attended a state school where the results weren't very good, would they lower the offer?

Scroll to see replies

The offer will be made after a test and interview. By that time they know who they want.

The people who arrive will typically end up with higher marks than that offer, and so will the ones they turn down.
Original post by LAM51
They don't usually make may offers on AAA unless you have an incredibly good score in the LNAT.

If you mean that they don't make offers against predictions of AAA, then yes they do. Effectively they back their own judgement of the quality of candidates.

Most people studying at Oxford will have quite a few A* and have a good LNAT score.

Across all subjects last year 36.9% of successful candidates did not have "a few" A* grades, scoring A*AA or worse.

Unis like LSE, UCL etc are the same, they won't make many offers on A*AA.

Again, yes they do assuming that you mean making offers on predicted grades of A*AA.

It'll usually be the applicants with more A*s. Of course it will vary from year to year on how many applicants they have but they will be looking for the best. For instance, I am predicted A*A*A but I didn't apply to any LNAT unis as I didn't want the extra pressure but if I did the LNAT and got a good score I may not even of been guaranteed a place at any of these unis.

This is right, but not because others will have achieved another A* grade in an irrelevant subject, Rather the reference, personal statement, LNAT multiple choice and LNAT essay would mark out other candidates as more favoured.

They also look for particular subjects.

No they don't.

For example, English and Economics would be good subjects for Law as they show the ability of essay writing etc.

These universities don't usually accept 'soft subjects' like health and social care or H.E.

Practices vary. Oxford for example only disqualifies general studies. However, in reality VIth formers with A levels in these subjects tend not to wish to read law so there is virtually no overlap between those candidates with those A levels and applicants to read law. Oxford doesn't have to either accept or reject them. They are not there.

However I suspect there will be plenty of health and social care A levels amongst applicants to UCL's school of nursing.

I don't think they would lower the offer for a state school applicant.

It hasn't been done in recent years.
Reply 3
It's harder to get the offer than it is to make it.
Original post by LAM51
Well I was referencing to law not nursing so no they won't accept many students with 'soft subjects' you seem to post on a lot of threads yet you have no useful information. You only criticise what other people have said. May I ask if you did a law degree at Oxford with health and social care as one of your subjects? A lot of people from my school are Oxford applicants and not one of them has applied with subjects like health and social care. If you were doing any degree whatsoever you wouldn't have the chance to post on all these threads. Yes it does matter on subject choice. You do not need to have English and economics but it shows you have the ability of essay writing and I know that Edinburgh asks (for law) for an A at English A level or and A in both English language and English literature at GCSE. So in your view they do not look for particular subjects? Basically any top uni will say general studies is not accepted but do you think that they would accept a candidate with let's say, P.E, H.E and health and social care for law? I don't think so. Maybe you should do some research before you post on these threads. All you do is copy and paste information from websites. Maybe if you had any useful knowledge you would be able to write about your own experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you actually read what nulli tertius said? If so, your response is very poor indeed.
The emboldened in particular brings be to question your ability to read and understand basic English.
Original post by LAM51
Yes I did. I was just sharing my views and knowledge. I was trying to help the person who posted the question. 'Nulli Tertius' has yet again tried to criticise what someone else has written. You also seem to be exactly like him. Instead of sharing useful information to help those who require it, you would rather criticise. Instead of helping this person with their enquiry you have decided to try and make me look like an idiot. I am far from that and maybe instead of 'bashing' what other people say you should actually try and be helpful. I do not want to start an argument. I was only sharing an opinion which can be taken into account or ignored but 'Nulli Tertius' could of shared his opinion on the matter instead of focusing on mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wasn't hard

In correcting what you wrote nulli tertius pretty much answered OP's questions
He pointed out how many offer holders go on to achieve <A*AA (and therefore how many achieve >A*AA)
he answered her question about subjects
he answered her questions about changing the offer

What more do you want?

Next time, don't make uniformed claims, then accuse someone (much more knowledgeable than yourself) of doing the same thing. Especially if you can't read.
Original post by LAM51
This whole 'can't read' thing is moronic and a fatuous retaliation. He could of written his own opinion without belittling what I wrote. I did not copy and paste information from websites, I based my opinion on what I know from friends and relatives applying to Oxbridge. The fact that my school has a lot of students applying to Oxford means I do have knowledge about what grades are accepted. I have nothing more to say. You obviously have far too much time on your hands.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What makes you think he copied information from websites? The fact that he studied (law afaik) at Oxford is certainly worth more to me than going to a school with lots of applicants.
excellent conclusion. well done.
What is this? handbags at dawn..
Original post by LAM51
If he 'studied' at Oxford this means that he has already graduated and the fact that A*s have only been attainable for a couple of years would mean that he did not apply with A*s. How would he know what was accepted now? The fact that I know people who are graduates, current students and applicants means that I have a knowledge of what was/is accepted. I'm not saying i have a vast knowledge on the matter but enough to be helpful. Your argument is invalid. Well done. You are an imbecile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, nobody has links with their alma mater after they graduate...
:rolleyes:
Original post by LAM51
Well I was referencing to law not nursing so no they won't accept many students with 'soft subjects' you seem to post on a lot of threads yet you have no useful information. You only criticise what other people have said. May I ask if you did a law degree at Oxford with health and social care as one of your subjects? A lot of people from my school are Oxford applicants and not one of them has applied with subjects like health and social care. If you were doing any degree whatsoever you wouldn't have the chance to post on all these threads. Yes it does matter on subject choice. You do not need to have English and economics but it shows you have the ability of essay writing and I know that Edinburgh asks (for law) for an A at English A level or and A in both English language and English literature at GCSE. So in your view they do not look for particular subjects? Basically any top uni will say general studies is not accepted but do you think that they would accept a candidate with let's say, P.E, H.E and health and social care for law? I don't think so. Maybe you should do some research before you post on these threads. All you do is copy and paste information from websites. Maybe if you had any useful knowledge you would be able to write about your own experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't wait for the response to this post...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cookies&Cream:)
I was looking through university prospectuses ( I'm applying later this year) and was surprised to find that Oxford's entry requirements for LLB Law is AAA. In comparison, LSE and KCL's entry requirement are higher at A*AA. I've always assumed Oxford would have higher entry requirements than the other universities. So although Oxford's entry requirement is AAA do they usually accept students that transcend those predictions and get A*AA or A*A*A* ? Also do they adjust the offer depending on the type of school you go to, so if you attended a state school where the results weren't very good, would they lower the offer?

I've a cousin who got an AAA offer from Oxford for law. I don't remember which college. He'll most likely exceed that.

I suppose that if they like you from interview and you score well in the relevant tests, then how many A*s you have is not important. The point is that they want you.

I've met people who got EE offers to go to Oxford in the early 90s (effectively an unconditional offer). They trust their own judgment over whatever central examinations boards say.

I can't comment on whether they may give an AAB offer. I doubt it and haven't heard of it, but I don't have knowledge or experience either way.

In essence, 'what Nulli said'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Edit: Sorry, double post
Original post by LAM51
xx

I see you have deleted all your posts on this thread. There really was no need to do that. If you read my signature it says "If you disagree with what I say, engage in debate."

I do spend far too much time on TSR but you will note that is either when I am at home supposed to be researching or travelling. You won't see me posting during office hours.

I try to answer questions that are posed but also to correct erroneous information. There are a lot of us who do this and when I first joined TSR it might might take 200 posts for a consensus to be built that a particular statement was right or wrong. Now, as you have found today, post something that is wrong, whether in good faith or not, and a group of TSRians will pile in and correct it within a couple of hours.

You ask if I did a law degree at Oxford with health and social care as one of my subjects? No. I did a law degree at Oxford with a CSE in woodwork and I am very proud of it.
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
I've a cousin who got an AAA offer from Oxford for law. I don't remember which college. He'll most likely exceed that.

I suppose that if they like you from interview and you score well in the relevant tests, then how many A*s you have is not important. The point is that they want you.

I've met people who got EE offers to go to Oxford in the early 90s (effectively an unconditional offer). They trust their own judgment over whatever central examinations boards say.

I can't comment on whether they may give an AAB offer. I doubt it and haven't heard of it, but I don't have knowledge or experience either way.

In essence, 'what Nulli said'.

Were his predicted grades quite high? Also do you know whether Oxford look at UMS marks for each module?
Were his predicted grades quite high? Also do you know whether Oxford look at UMS marks for each module?

I have no idea. I've yet to speak to him directly about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

they do not ask for UMS marks and some colleges seem not to care even if you submit them (mine, Christ Church, for example)

As long as you're predicted A*AA, I would say predictions are almost irrelevant. If you have AAAA at AS and are predicted A*AA you're not worse off then someone with AAAA and A*A*A* predictions because Oxford knows schools differs. Both would be made AAA offers. No Oxford do not look at UMS marks.
Original post by LoseSmallWinBig
As long as you're predicted A*AA, I would say predictions are almost irrelevant. If you have AAAA at AS and are predicted A*AA you're not worse off then someone with AAAA and A*A*A* predictions because Oxford knows schools differs. Both would be made AAA offers. No Oxford do not look at UMS marks.

Agreed. Predictions seem to be the least important part of the process.
Original post by LoseSmallWinBig

If I got AAAB at the end of this year ( I'm doing AS), would the B make a difference to whether I got an offer? The B would be in the subject I intend to drop. Would it be worth then doing an extra AS next year to make up for the B?
If I got AAAB at the end of this year ( I'm doing AS), would the B make a difference to whether I got an offer? The B would be in the subject I intend to drop. Would it be worth then doing an extra AS next year to make up for the B?

No it would not determine whether or not you got an offer. However it could be used as an excuse in the event that you do not get an offer.

Don't bother doing an extra AS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending