The Student Room Group

How does A* Chemistry work? UMS Wise?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Better
Yes the teacher is giving us like 2/3 more chances but I am not good at Chemistry Practicals. Unlike my Physics Teacher he doesn't really Help much at all, when it comes to Practicals anyway..

But you've given me exactly what I needed you Hero thanks so much.

Puts it into perspective how much I need to start Prepping myself for the Exam.

The only other thing you could help me with is general exam tips, I've changed style from doing just reading to more questions, so anything in that regard would be great!

But again you've helped me more than enough!

It's good that you've got a couple more chances left to improve your grade (although 30/40 in itself is great) :smile:
They are difficult in my opinion, it seems like they can mark you down quite easily.

Of course, everybody has a method of revising that works for them. Personally, I find doing exam questions (and marking them/going over them etc.) very helpful, as it helps me find the areas which I'm least confident with. As I mentioned in a previous post, I find looking at the specification useful to pick out any gaps in my knowledge. In addition to that, I find doing mind maps/consolidation cards helps me, because writing down information seems to help me remember things. I hope that gives you a few more ideas (if you haven't tried those already)!

You're welcome anytime, as I said feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Quest
Wow you coordinate yourself in a very polite and respectful manner on here. Wonderful indeed :biggrin: So thank you very much for being so pleasant haha! It's a rarity on TSR!

Thank you for the well-wishing etc. also, I'm definitely very excited about university!

Sure you can PM me if you want, if you'd like to discuss anything in particular about studies or whatever - or just any other nonsense :smile:

I didn't realise I came across that well, so thank you :biggrin: You seem very polite and friendly too, so thank you!

I can imagine! You'll get to experience so many new things and learn about a subject you're passionate about!

If you're happy with that, thank you!
That sounds good...like the mysterious workings of the universe etc etc..? :P
Reply 22
Original post by zef1995
It's good that you've got a couple more chances left to improve your grade (although 30/40 in itself is great) :smile:
They are difficult in my opinion, it seems like they can mark you down quite easily.

Of course, everybody has a method of revising that works for them. Personally, I find doing exam questions (and marking them/going over them etc.) very helpful, as it helps me find the areas which I'm least confident with. As I mentioned in a previous post, I find looking at the specification useful to pick out any gaps in my knowledge. In addition to that, I find doing mind maps/consolidation cards helps me, because writing down information seems to help me remember things. I hope that gives you a few more ideas (if you haven't tried those already)!

You're welcome anytime, as I said feel free to ask :smile:

You are super pleasant! A real gentleman!

Okay I know what to do for Maths (D1 C3 C4) it just Past Papers under timed conditions.

But Physics 4 and 5 and Chem 4 and 5 - I shall go over each Topic and do every Exam Style Question in the book. Recapping each night! Then I will only do whole past papers in like May time when I am fully ready doing 1 Past Paper a Week until Exam time!

Let's do this guys! A*AA Hopefully here we come!
Reply 23
Original post by Better
You are super pleasant! A real gentleman!

Okay I know what to do for Maths (D1 C3 C4) it just Past Papers under timed conditions.

But Physics 4 and 5 and Chem 4 and 5 - I shall go over each Topic and do every Exam Style Question in the book. Recapping each night! Then I will only do whole past papers in like May time when I am fully ready doing 1 Past Paper a Week until Exam time!

Let's do this guys! A*AA Hopefully here we come!

Thank you very much, I'd prefer to be pleasant then to be insulting ;D

That sounds good, especially doing them under timed conditions :smile:

I have to say, the more exam questions you go over, the more you can get an idea of what scenarios could be thrown at you in the exam, it's worth doing! Yeah definitely, I can imagine you could get a bit more out of the papers if you do them later on after some general revision, although that's just my opinion :smile:

Wooo, let's hope so! Good luck to you! :biggrin:
I need to get 95% in both f324 and f325 for an A :frown: i need the A for uni! along with 2 other A's!!!!!!! omg im so stressed
Reply 25
Original post by Craming Revision
I need to get 95% in both f324 and f325 for an A :frown: i need the A for uni! along with 2 other A's!!!!!!! omg im so stressed

I know that 95% is a lot, but it's still possible! That aside, if you wanted to lower that percentage, could you resit any previous modules to increase your UMS? :smile:
Original post by zef1995
I know that 95% is a lot, but it's still possible! That aside, if you wanted to lower that percentage, could you resit any previous modules to increase your UMS? :smile:

i got 80/90 in f321 110/150 f322 so high a and high b but my practicals let me down and i cant retake practicals i already resat f322 in jan to and didnt improve so i wont bother doing it again but il just have to try alot harder in a2 modules i suppose :frown:
Reply 27
i got 80/90 in f321 110/150 f322 so high a and high b but my practicals let me down and i cant retake practicals i already resat f322 in jan to and didnt improve so i wont bother doing it again but il just have to try alot harder in a2 modules i suppose :frown:

I'm sorry to hear that, the practicals can be annoying as they can mark you down so easily! Quite a few students in my Chemistry class are in the same position with respect to practicals.
If you know what you have to aim for, I'm sure you will work hard in order to achieve it! With respect to the upcoming module, just make sure you revise hard for it and that you've covered absolutely everything in your revision (although I'm sure you're doing this already).
You can do it! :smile:
Original post by zef1995
I'm sorry to hear that, the practicals can be annoying as they can mark you down so easily! Quite a few students in my Chemistry class are in the same position with respect to practicals.
If you know what you have to aim for, I'm sure you will work hard in order to achieve it! With respect to the upcoming module, just make sure you revise hard for it and that you've covered absolutely everything in your revision (although I'm sure you're doing this already).
You can do it! :smile:

thanks so much pal, atm doing psychology its a pain man i need to do all 4 psychology units so much harder than biology to much content, ontop of that i have 4 maths exams to ! :frown:
Reply 29
thanks so much pal, atm doing psychology its a pain man i need to do all 4 psychology units so much harder than biology to much content, ontop of that i have 4 maths exams to ! :frown:

Are all 4 Psychology units in one exam, or are you doing 4 separate exams? Does the same go for maths?
At least if they're resits, you've sat the exam once before and so you have an idea of what to expect :smile:
I can't imagine that all of the work is pleasant at the moment, but just think you're not going to have to do it for much longer. Instead you'll be able to go to university and study something you'll enjoy more :smile:
Original post by zef1995
Are all 4 Psychology units in one exam, or are you doing 4 separate exams? Does the same go for maths?
At least if they're resits, you've sat the exam once before and so you have an idea of what to expect :smile:
I can't imagine that all of the work is pleasant at the moment, but just think you're not going to have to do it for much longer. Instead you'll be able to go to university and study something you'll enjoy more :smile:

haha i love your support thanks so much man! really appreciate it :smile: i've got 4 seperate psychology modules and similarly with maths :frown: after i revise all the content for psychology which would take atleast 2-3weeks il start chemistry and maths with those i just need to do alot of papers, im trying to drill all psychology so it just becomes a memory game once everything is learnt :smile: hopefully id finish next week! :tongue:
how many and which exams do you have?
Reply 31
haha i love your support thanks so much man! really appreciate it :smile: i've got 4 seperate psychology modules and similarly with maths :frown: after i revise all the content for psychology which would take atleast 2-3weeks il start chemistry and maths with those i just need to do alot of papers, im trying to drill all psychology so it just becomes a memory game once everything is learnt :smile: hopefully id finish next week! :tongue:
how many and which exams do you have?

You're welcome, I hope I'm helping :smile:
I have heard that psychology has got quite a lot of content, so learning that well in advance sounds like a good idea! That would be good, once you've covered everything once it's just a case of going back over it and practising :smile:
At least you're not planning to neglect maths and chemistry completely for psychology revision, they might get a bit offended if you did that ;P
I wish you the best with your revision!
I have got 4 exams, 2 for Maths, 1 for Chemistry and 1 for Biology!
Have you got any other exams, aside for the 4 Maths, 4 Psychology and 1 Chemistry? I hope they're not too close to together, so you can have a bit of a break between them all!
Which university are you hoping to go to if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by zef1995
You're welcome, I hope I'm helping :smile:
I have heard that psychology has got quite a lot of content, so learning that well in advance sounds like a good idea! That would be good, once you've covered everything once it's just a case of going back over it and practising :smile:
At least you're not planning to neglect maths and chemistry completely for psychology revision, they might get a bit offended if you did that ;P
I wish you the best with your revision!
I have got 4 exams, 2 for Maths, 1 for Chemistry and 1 for Biology!
Have you got any other exams, aside for the 4 Maths, 4 Psychology and 1 Chemistry? I hope they're not too close to together, so you can have a bit of a break between them all!
Which university are you hoping to go to if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

thanks so much pal, i wish you all the best with yours also :smile: 4 exams! lucky!! i have like x3 as many :frown: and 2 chem a2 modules for chem btw ;p 3 a2 maths 1 as 2 a2 psychology 2 as :/ need to get AAB for offer for pharmacy at dmu how about yours? and omg my exams are all next to each other less space to revise properly hopefully dmu! how about you? hows revision going to! :tongue:
Reply 33
thanks so much pal, i wish you all the best with yours also :smile: 4 exams! lucky!! i have like x3 as many :frown: and 2 chem a2 modules for chem btw ;p 3 a2 maths 1 as 2 a2 psychology 2 as :/ need to get AAB for offer for pharmacy at dmu how about yours? and omg my exams are all next to each other less space to revise properly hopefully dmu! how about you? hows revision going to! :tongue:

Thank you very much!
I know, I do feel lucky considering there are lots of people out there such as yourself with more than 4 exams! Oh right, oops, my bad ;P
As I said before, if some are resits, hopefully you'll have more of an idea what to expect in the actual exam, which should be helpful :smile:
Ooh that sounds good! I'm guessing DMU is your top choice? I hope you achieve the grades you need :biggrin:
I haven't got an offer this year, but for the course I'd like to apply to next year I need between ABB and AAA, depending on where I decide to apply :smile:
On the bright side, they'll all be over pretty quickly and then you can enjoy your summer after all of the work you did for the exams!
My maths ones are 2 weeks apart, but biology and chemistry and a day apart, and between the two maths exams. Could be worse!
It's going okay thank you! I never feel like I'm doing enough but I hope that's not the case :P how's your revision going? :smile:
Original post by zef1995
Thank you very much!
I know, I do feel lucky considering there are lots of people out there such as yourself with more than 4 exams! Oh right, oops, my bad ;P
As I said before, if some are resits, hopefully you'll have more of an idea what to expect in the actual exam, which should be helpful :smile:
Ooh that sounds good! I'm guessing DMU is your top choice? I hope you achieve the grades you need :biggrin:
I haven't got an offer this year, but for the course I'd like to apply to next year I need between ABB and AAA, depending on where I decide to apply :smile:
On the bright side, they'll all be over pretty quickly and then you can enjoy your summer after all of the work you did for the exams!
My maths ones are 2 weeks apart, but biology and chemistry and a day apart, and between the two maths exams. Could be worse!
It's going okay thank you! I never feel like I'm doing enough but I hope that's not the case :P how's your revision going? :smile:

yayy lol 3 of them are resits :smile: got c's in them but need to get a's b's in them atm im writting out model answers for psychology its really doing my head in lol so much content to revise, im just going to spend the rest of easter getting to grips with it then soon hopefully gradually introduce maths and chemistry ahh which course did you apply for? um can you apply for clearing or ucas adjustment or are you taking a gap year? ahh bio and chem are always a day apart damn i hate ocr :tongue: dont worry youl get A*AA! smash it out! and haha everyone feels that way trust me! we still have 1-2 months which is plenty of time :biggrin: yeah can't wait for summer need this break so much!
Reply 35
yayy lol 3 of them are resits :smile: got c's in them but need to get a's b's in them atm im writting out model answers for psychology its really doing my head in lol so much content to revise, im just going to spend the rest of easter getting to grips with it then soon hopefully gradually introduce maths and chemistry ahh which course did you apply for? um can you apply for clearing or ucas adjustment or are you taking a gap year? ahh bio and chem are always a day apart damn i hate ocr :tongue: dont worry youl get A*AA! smash it out! and haha everyone feels that way trust me! we still have 1-2 months which is plenty of time :biggrin: yeah can't wait for summer need this break so much!

I know what you mean, writing out model answers etc can feel really tedious. But saying that, if you get asked a similar question on the day you'll be jumping for joy! (as long as the invigilators don't get funny over it) :P
That sounds like a good idea, if Psychology is the one with the most content it makes sense to start revising it first instead of cramming all the information in one the week before.
I applied for Medicine, so I wasn't overly surprised when I got rejected because it's so competitive. (I know that sounds a bit pessimistic, sorry about that) :P
I think I'll take a gap year, because that way I'll have an extra year to consider and experience new things, and make a more informed decision about what I'd like to do.
I will certainly try my best xD I'd love for you to meet your offer too :biggrin:
Phew! That's very true, the fact we've started revising already must be a good sign? :smile:
I know what you mean, it'll be great to have such a long break!
When do you go to university - September or October? :smile:

Quick Reply