The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE made me hate the subjects I used to love the most, am I the only one?

Well, this is going to be a bit of a pessimistic thread (and I don't mean to put any prospective LSE students off). But, I'm in my second year now and I remember the days when I used to LOVE studying for Maths. I used to do hours of work and not even feel as though I was "studying" as I found it that enjoyable. The same applies for Economics. But now, I sit in my maths lectures BORED OUT OF MY MIND! I'm sure the content is interesting but the lectures just make me fall asleep, the teaching is okay (I don't have anything to compare it to, university-wise) and I feel like no one really gives a **** about you, they teach for the sake of teaching, which may be why I'm not interested in Maths anymore and cant be bothered to do homeworks. Is it just me? I took some actuarial modules and I find them so much more interesting, which isn't like me at all as I used to be a micro/calculus/algebra enthusiast! So, is it just me? Is it just LSE? Or is it more the transition to university that changes your taste? My friends at other universities love their subjects even more now. EDIT : it may not be LSE but just the way things are taught at university or how different Maths is at university (abstract) than at A levels. (Ps my enter key doesn't work, hence the lack of paragraphs).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mysongbook
Well, this is going to be a bit of a pessimistic thread (and I don't mean to put any prospective LSE students off). But, I'm in my second year now and I remember the days when I used to LOVE studying for Maths. I used to do hours of work and not even feel as though I was "studying" as I found it that enjoyable. The same applies for Economics. But now, I sit in my maths lectures BORED OUT OF MY MIND! I'm sure the content is interesting but the lectures just make me fall asleep, the teaching is okay (I don't have anything to compare it to, university-wise) and I feel like no one really gives a **** about you, they teach for the sake of teaching, which may be why I'm not interested in Maths anymore and cant be bothered to do homeworks. Is it just me? I took some actuarial modules and I find them so much more interesting, which isn't like me at all as I used to be a micro/calculus/algebra enthusiast! So, is it just me? Is it just LSE? Or is it more the transition to university that changes your taste? My friends at other universities love their subjects even more now. (Ps my enter key doesn't work, hence the lack of paragraphs).

My university is currently making me hate the subject i've wanted to study since year 10. However I'm not sure if it's the university itself or the actual course. Some courses are other universities sound a lot better then the course i'm currently studying.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
This seems to happen to a lot of people - myself included - particularly on the more formal science courses and at top universities. With me it's more that at A-level concepts were interesting (I study physics primarily but with a bit of maths) and that is still the case at university, but it feels like it takes a geological age to derive any of them. So the end result is interesting, but the four or five pages of work to get there is too much for the interest it merits.
Reply 3
Yeah, it seems almost as if they make things overly difficult for no apparent reason. Mathematical rigour and proof etc is obviously very important. I'm not arguing about that. The actual concepts themselves are usually laboriously explained and by the very end of it, once you understand it, you're like "why the hell did they explain it like that?"

I’m a third year maths and econ student and I think the best example of this stuff is in ST102 in fifrst year actually.
Reply 4
Well, this is going to be a bit of a pessimistic thread (and I don't mean to put any prospective LSE students off). But, I'm in my second year now and I remember the days when I used to LOVE studying for Maths. I used to do hours of work and not even feel as though I was "studying" as I found it that enjoyable. The same applies for Economics. But now, I sit in my maths lectures BORED OUT OF MY MIND! I'm sure the content is interesting but the lectures just make me fall asleep, the teaching is okay (I don't have anything to compare it to, university-wise) and I feel like no one really gives a **** about you, they teach for the sake of teaching, which may be why I'm not interested in Maths anymore and cant be bothered to do homeworks. Is it just me? I took some actuarial modules and I find them so much more interesting, which isn't like me at all as I used to be a micro/calculus/algebra enthusiast! So, is it just me? Is it just LSE? Or is it more the transition to university that changes your taste? My friends at other universities love their subjects even more now. EDIT : it may not be LSE but just the way things are taught at university or how different Maths is at university (abstract) than at A levels. (Ps my enter key doesn't work, hence the lack of paragraphs).

1st yr here..

maybe it's a signal from your mind that you actually don't like the subjects as compared to you liking the thought of liking the subjects.

for example, I thought I would like philosophy but after taking it I'm beginning to think that alot of it is armchair rigour without real world application.
mostly 'academia' games..

however, there are a few gems in the rough.

strangely enough my most interesting subject is statistics; like wtf? I find more philosophy in things like the normal and poisson distribution than in philosophy if that makes sense.

tldr;
dropped acid and realized that 1 action is worth 1000 thoughts.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5

You're not alone. I intend to transfer departments in my second year to alleviate some of the pain...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending