The Student Room Group

Iodine Clock help

I'm doing the iodine clock with hydrogen peroxide.
i know that in respect with I the order is first, in respect to H202 its first. However for H+ ions, im not sure whether its first or zero. ive read several different things, and now i'm just so confussssed:confused:
Reply 1
Original post by Izar
I'm doing the iodine clock with hydrogen peroxide.
i know that in respect with I the order is first, in respect to H202 its first. However for H+ ions, im not sure whether its first or zero. ive read several different things, and now i'm just so confussssed:confused:

It's zero order for H+
Reply 2
Original post by ZakRob
It's zero order for H+

i got first order :frown:
how can i tell from a half-life graph that its zeroth order? because for a first order, the half lives remain constant..
Reply 3
Original post by Izar
i got first order :frown:
how can i tell from a half-life graph that its zeroth order? because for a first order, the half lives remain constant..

Is this not for the iodine clock, whereby you'd be timing how long it takes for a colour change to occur. and that would be time, t. then to calculate initial rate of reaction, you would simply use 1/t which is proportional to initial rate of reaction.

Then when you plot that on a graph you should get a constant horizontal line.

However for concentration against time graphs look at the image attached, it has examples shown.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ZakRob
Is this not for the iodine clock, whereby you'd be timing how long it takes for a colour change to occur. and that would be time, t. then to calculate initial rate of reaction, you would simply use 1/t which is proportional to initial rate of reaction.

Then when you plot that on a graph you should get a constant horizontal line.

However for concentration against time graphs look at the image attached, it has examples shown.

ahh that means all my data and graphs are wrong for the H+, btw how do you know its zeroth order?
and thank you so much, i actually understand it now <3
Reply 6
Original post by Izar
ahh that means all my data and graphs are wrong for the H+, btw how do you know its zeroth order?
and thank you so much, i actually understand it now <3

I only know its zeroth order from a task that I did in chemistry regarding this reaction.
It should be zero order :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ZakRob
I only know its zeroth order from a task that I did in chemistry regarding this reaction.

Original post by grassgrazers01

Thank you guys <3
@grassgrazers have you done the coursework? :biggrin:
Original post by Izar
Thank you guys <3
@grassgrazers have you done the coursework? :biggrin:

I've done the iodine clock using different chemicals, but a friend of mine did it with hydrogen peroxide. He experimentally found the order of H+ ions to be zeroth, and this was later confirmed by my teacher :smile:

Indeed, it is a Harcourt-Essen reaction and should hold zero order :smile:
The reaction needs H+ ions to acidify it and thus reduce the H2O2.
Reply 11
I've done the iodine clock using different chemicals, but a friend of mine did it with hydrogen peroxide. He experimentally found the order of H+ ions to be zeroth, and this was later confirmed by my teacher :smile:

Original post by Chunnikan Smudge
Indeed, it is a Harcourt-Essen reaction and should hold zero order :smile:
The reaction needs H+ ions to acidify it and thus reduce the H2O2.

So can i just check... its first order for H2O2 and I , but zero order for H+?
thanks guys :')
Original post by Izar

Yes, thats correct for all :smile:
Original post by Izar

Yes indeedy :3
Reply 14
Yes indeedy :3

thank you pumpkin :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest