The Student Room Group

International Topless Jihad Day.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think they're hypocrites for telling women they should be empowered and have the right to do what they want with their bodies then ignore the women who choose to wear the the Hijab and Niqab. Just like feminists who say that being a house wife is slavery, ignoring any testimony from the women who choose to be a house wife.
Reply 2
Original post by Kiss
I think they're hypocrites for telling women they should be empowered and have the right to do what they want with their bodies then ignore the women who choose to wear the the Hijab and Niqab.

Surely having the "right to do what they want with their bodies" includes wearing the hijab and niqab? Unless they are telling women not to wear them, I don't see how they are hypocrites for advocating such rights for the women who do not want to wear them and disagree with Islamist rules.
Reply 3
Original post by myzt1kal
Surely having the "right to do what they want with their bodies" includes wearing the hijab and niqab? Unless they are telling women not to wear them, I don't see how they are hypocrites for advocating such rights for the women who do not want to wear them and disagree with Islamist rules.

Surely indeed but they don't seem to recognise that.
Reply 4

As long as they're abiding by the law...

Oh wait.
Reply 5
Original post by Kiss
Surely indeed but they don't seem to recognise that.

How so? Are they telling women not to wear the hijab or niqab? I'm not too familiar with FEMEN but from the OP article it seems to me that they are only advocating for the rights of those who actually don't want to conform to others' rules over their bodies.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think its sad if anything. There are far more serious things which should warrant attention. Idiots.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm sure they're just assuming muslim women wear the hijab "because their husbands tell them to." Which tbh I'm sure is quite common, but they completely ignore those who do so out of choice. So.......fair do's for standing up but they haven't quite gone about it the right way
Original post by Kiss
I think they're hypocrites for telling women they should be empowered and have the right to do what they want with their bodies then ignore the women who choose to wear the the Hijab and Niqab. Just like feminists who say that being a house wife is slavery, ignoring any testimony from the women who choose to be a house wife.

What feminists are you referring to? Third wave feminism is pro choice as opposed to second wave-esque "all women should be empowered and work". It's changed with the times, most feminists (except obviously radfems, they're off on one) are for the empowerment of women through their own free will and choice, if you want to be a pro wrestler or a housewife in the WI, you go for it :tongue:
Original post by That Bearded Man
I'm sure they're just assuming muslim women wear the hijab "because their husbands tell them to." Which tbh I'm sure is quite common, but they completely ignore those who do so out of choice. So.......fair do's for standing up but they haven't quite gone about it the right way

They don't say anything about those who do so through choice because they recognise that they have a choice. They're fighting for the women who don't have a choice, and a lot of women aren't given choice in that in certain countries and cultures.

I don't really identify with Femen, but if you hear the leader of it speak about her experiences in Eastern Europe, the best way she can be heard is to literally scream and run around naked there. They can't ignore her, and that's the mindset Femen uses. It gathers media attention but sometimes the message is lost in the noisy naked chaos.
I think that's the best slideshow I've ever seen :borat:
Reply 13
Empowering women? Give me a break
Reply 14
Original post by TheAsian
As long as they're abiding by the law...

Oh wait.

Too lazy to give this a proper response, but:
"One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Original post by EmperorMustard
I think that's the best slideshow I've ever seen :borat:

Amen hahah
Reply 16
Original post by Slumpy
Too lazy to give this a proper response, but:
"One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law." - Martin Luther King Jr.

...I still think that the law prohibiting them being topless in public, is a very just law indeed.
So I guess I don't agree with ol' Kingy on this one occasion.
...I still think that the law prohibiting them being topless in public, is a very just law indeed.

Why shouldn't women be topless in public? Because it offends you?
Reply 18

It sounds like you rather do agree with him.

The point is that just because something is illegal, certainly does not mean it should be illegal. In part, I suspect this is what they're protesting.

(FWIW, I think our nudity laws are probably over-restrictive even here, but hey.)

What a slideshow! That was more arousing than anything :lol:

The girl on the uttermost left in photo 2 was particularly attractive and photo 25 was particularly arousing...mmm..

Oh, I'm sorry - what were they protesting about..?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending