The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by Ashnard
Nice of you to raise my spirits, only to crush them a mere eight minutes later.:wink:

Well I almost got a stroke reading this, Until I realised it was a tale:rolleyes:
Reply 621
Original post by Natty.B
I saw it too, my heart sank a little then I read the bit at the end of the 'article'. Gosh, they can't be messing with me like that. :smile:

This was posted from my phone

I had a near death experience:redface:
Reply 622
Original post by Ashnard
Nice of you to raise my spirits, only to crush them a mere eight minutes later.:wink:

Why did it raise your spirts?:eek:
Just learnt that I've been given an award for dishing out the most bagel sets in a single club tournament, so that's nice :smile:
Original post by Krish4791
Just learnt that I've been given an award for dishing out the most bagel sets in a single club tournament, so that's nice :smile:

You got a rating?
Original post by Zepploydath
You got a rating?

Nah - it's not LTA affiliated unfortunately. Do you know how I can get membership with them, and how exactly does their rating system work?
Nah - it's not LTA affiliated unfortunately. Do you know how I can get membership with them, and how exactly does their rating system work?

Just go to the LTA website and find it. It's a bit difficult to explain. You need a certain amount of wins within 6 months (and a certain percentage) to move up. You start at 10.2>>>>10.1>>>>9.2>>>>9.1>>>>8.2 etc.

However, it's not a very good system as it promotes emphasis on trying to get your rating up, even if it means not competing to protect your win percentage (if it falls below a certain percentage then you are not eligible).

My rating is only 9.1 however I very rarely play tournaments so I have no chance of getting it up. I've beaten a 7.1 (6-0 6-0), a 6.2 (6-1 6-1 ) and a 6.1 (tight 3 setter), however that was quite a while ago before they got that rating. I've just played waaaay less tennis than them since then I guess.
Just go to the LTA website and find it. It's a bit difficult to explain. You need a certain amount of wins within 6 months (and a certain percentage) to move up. You start at 10.2>>>>10.1>>>>9.2>>>>9.1>>>>8.2 etc.

However, it's not a very good system as it promotes emphasis on trying to get your rating up, even if it means not competing to protect your win percentage (if it falls below a certain percentage then you are not eligible).

My rating is only 9.1 however I very rarely play tournaments so I have no chance of getting it up. I've beaten a 7.1 (6-0 6-0), a 6.2 (6-1 6-1 ) and a 6.1 (tight 3 setter), however that was quite a while ago before they got that rating. I've just played waaaay less tennis than them since then I guess.

Ah, I see - not the best system but I think I'll get into it (and convince my friends/opponents). You should try and get back into tennis when you have the time - if you can beat a 6.2 and a 7.1 for the combined loss of just 2 games, you could be seriously great! :biggrin:

(P.S. do the top players like Murray have an LTA rating still? I'm assuming they're like a 1.1 or something)
Ah, I see - not the best system but I think I'll get into it (and convince my friends/opponents). You should try and get back into tennis when you have the time - if you can beat a 6.2 and a 7.1 for the combined loss of just 2 games, you could be seriously great! :biggrin:

(P.S. do the top players like Murray have an LTA rating still? I'm assuming they're like a 1.1 or something)

He does and it is indeed 1.1. :wink:

It's not that I don't play tennis, I just don't play enough, especially over the winter. I've played the last few days for example and plan on playing on Friday atleast. Moaybe Saturday/Sunday as well.

It's just I don't play against enough good players/or in tournaments/matches. Beating those players was several years ago but I guess it shows I must be half decent. I genuinely reckon I could have been a pretty decent player if I played 10 hours+ a week for example. Although I'm only 17 so I'll improve a lot I suppose.

I plan on trying to get an ITF number and enter a futures qualifying event. At the very least I'll get to see what level players are at that need to qualifying for the lowest rung of tournaments.

It's not that I don't play tennis, I just don't play enough, especially over the winter. I've played the last few days for example and plan on playing on Friday atleast. Moaybe Saturday/Sunday as well.

It's just I don't play against enough good players/or in tournaments/matches. Beating those players was several years ago but I guess it shows I must be half decent. I genuinely reckon I could have been a pretty decent player if I played 10 hours+ a week for example. Although I'm only 17 so I'll improve a lot I suppose.

I plan on trying to get an ITF number and enter a futures qualifying event. At the very least I'll get to see what level players are at that need to qualifying for the lowest rung of tournaments.

Cripes - you're only 17 as well! It would be great if you go through with it. I may have picked this up a little too late anyway - I'm 21(will be 22 later this year) and am supposed to be nearing peak form. I only really started playing at age 15/16, so I've got no clue how well I would have done if I'd started 10 years before that.
Reply 631

Hah, hes 1.1 and he has 1670000 points. No 2 is Jamie Baker and he has 45800 points, and hes still 1.1. Just says how good even Baker is compared to most tennis players.
Original post by Prendah
Hah, hes 1.1 and he has 1670000 points. No 2 is Jamie Baker and he has 45800 points, and hes still 1.1. Just says how good even Baker is compared to most tennis players.

How many points does an average player have, to put it in perspective?
Reply 633
How many points does an average player have, to put it in perspective?

If you say average is around 5.5, I think its probably around 1000. Although I have no clue about them.
Reply 634
Original post by ubi1
Why did it raise your spirts?:eek:

I stated my reasons a couple of pages back in this thread
Reply 635
GB vs Russia starts tomorrow, GB are huge underdogs but you never know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 636
Potential Serena vs. Venus semi final in Charleston, they haven't played each other in ages. If Venus wins this one, we'll know for sure that Richard really does decide who wins before they play. :tongue:
Reply 637
If Nadal remains World No.5 SEED at RG is there a possibility he could face Djokovic/Federer in the quarter finals?
Reply 638
Original post by ubi1
If Nadal remains World No.5 SEED at RG is there a possibility he could face Djokovic/Federer in the quarter finals?

Yep, he could face any of the top 4 I think.
Reply 639
Original post by Prendah
Yep, he could face any of the top 4 I think.

I want him to knock of djokovic in the quarters so djoker doesnt get to defend his 1200 ranking points bearing in mind 1200 points is worth more than a masters 1000.

Latest