The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
The farmer that taught me how to milk the cows has handed in his notice. He's leaving in two weeks. :cry2:

On one hand I'm really going to miss him, but on the other hand I'm really happy for him and wish him all the best for his new job at an agricultural college :h:

Aw that's a shame. Is it a teaching position he's taking up? And all lops are lovely - especially he dwarves :smile:

Ooo can't wait for lambing tomorrow!!!! :biggrin: It's good it's the same farm as last year so at least I sort of know them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CanineVet
Aw that's a shame. Is it a teaching position he's taking up? And all lops are lovely - especially he dwarves :smile:

Ooo can't wait for lambing tomorrow!!!! :biggrin: It's good it's the same farm as last year so at least I sort of know them :smile:

Hmm, I'm not sure actually. I wouldn't have thought so, I assume they just need someone on site to let the animals out in the morning, put them away at night ect and to do other jobs while students aren't there. I'll ask him when I'm next at the farm. :h:

Ohhh, have fun! :biggrin: How many ewes do they have there?
Reply 542
Hmm, I'm not sure actually. I wouldn't have thought so, I assume they just need someone on site to let the animals out in the morning, put them away at night ect and to do other jobs while students aren't there. I'll ask him when I'm next at the farm. :h:

Ohhh, have fun! :biggrin: How many ewes do they have there?

Oh that sounds good, good luck to him :smile:

And if I remember rightly there was around 200-300 ewes if not in excess of the latter so lambs were popping out non stop which was good because it meant i didn't have to suffer the early hours of the morning :wink: But I thoroughly enjoyed it last time - one of my best wex placements :biggrin: There's a few variety of breeds - can't remember which though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh that sounds good, good luck to him :smile:

And if I remember rightly there was around 200-300 ewes if not in excess of the latter so lambs were popping out non stop which was good because it meant i didn't have to suffer the early hours of the morning :wink: But I thoroughly enjoyed it last time - one of my best wex placements :biggrin: There's a few variety of breeds - can't remember which though :tongue:

The farms near you sure are big! :biggrin: We have ~60 ewes here, and even then they have been loaned from another farm so I think they'll go back once the lambs are a bit older. I have no idea which breeds we have, but looking on here it looks like they could be Dorset Horns, Rylands, Hebrideans and British Milksheep :tongue: I'd really like to get some proper lambing done on a commercial farm, but I'll probably have to stay away for that so maybe next year. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 544
Just popping in to say hi! I'm going to Bristol this year so maybe in the future if anyone has questions about Bristol, I can answer them :smile:

Mainly popped on to say I'm very approving of all the bunny love in here! :biggrin:
Reply 545
The farms near you sure are big! :biggrin: We have ~60 ewes here, and even then they have been loaned from another farm so I think they'll go back once the lambs are a bit older. I have no idea which breeds we have, but looking on here it looks like they could be Dorset Horns, Rylands, Hebrideans and British Milksheep :tongue: I'd really like to get some proper lambing done on a commercial farm, but I'll probably have to stay away for that so maybe next year. :frown:

I know I suppose rural areas (especially in the north) have big farms :smile: I love sheepies! At my (long term placement) farm we have sheep too about 30 or 40 - a mix of welsh badger face and castlemilk moorits :smile: I haven't done lambing at that farm oddly enough but because there is fractionally less I would be less likely to encounter one lambing. Is it hard to find commercial places down in London? There's farms bouncing with them up here but I go here because at the vets I used to get wex at - one of the nurses - who now works somewhere else - allowed me to do lambing at hers :smile: She and her family are very welcoming and kind so I enjoy it more! Feeding the lambs is great and lambing itself is amazing (pulled a pair out last year) :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 546
Original post by Eevee13
Just popping in to say hi! I'm going to Bristol this year so maybe in the future if anyone has questions about Bristol, I can answer them :smile:

Mainly popped on to say I'm very approving of all the bunny love in here! :biggrin:

Hey! Congrats, hope you enjoy it! I must say I've had a few peeks in your graduate thread to see your bunny discussions :wink: (....definitely not a stalker :colondollar:...) :tongue: If you don't know already I have a tripod bunny (Walter - my profile pic) :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eevee13

Congratulations on your offer! :biggrin:

Bunny love will always be a focal point of this thread I think! :tongue:

My Bun Buns: :love:

Spoiler

I know I suppose rural areas (especially in the north) have big farms :smile: I love sheepies! At my (long term placement) farm we have sheep too about 30 or 40 - a mix of welsh badger face and castlemilk moorits :smile: I haven't done lambing at that farm oddly enough but because there is fractionally less I would be less likely to encounter one lambing. Is it hard to find commercial places down in London? There's farms bouncing with them up here but I go here because at the vets I used to get wex at - one of the nurses - who now works somewhere else - allowed me to do lambing at hers :smile: She and her family are very welcoming and kind so I enjoy it more! Feeding the lambs is great and lambing itself is amazing (pulled a pair out last year) :biggrin:

Hard is an understatement :frown: I just PM'd one of the 2014 apps (a fellow Londoner), and she was kind enough to give me the details of a commercial place but it's 80 miles away. :cry:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 548
Congratulations on your offer! :biggrin:

Bunny love will always be a focal point of this thread I think! :tongue:

My Bun Buns: :love:

Spoiler

Hard is an understatement :frown: I just PM'd one of the 2014 apps (a fellow Londoner), and she was kind enough to give me the details of a commercial place but it's 80 miles away. :cry:

I second you to that statement :wink: And awww, those bunbuns are adorable! Ill get a good pic of mine to join the party :smile:

Eek! That's a trek and a half! That's a real shame - those in the London area must be at a real disadvantage for wex. I salute you to your efforts :tongue: So what are you going to do for that? Do you have a relative or anyone that can drive you there? That was nice of them to give you that :smile: good luck getting it anyway :biggrin: I'm going to get some emails sorted for summer wex, don't want to risk waiting too long :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I second you to that statement :wink: And awww, those bunbuns are adorable! Ill get a good pic of mine to join the party :smile:

Eek! That's a trek and a half! That's a real shame - those in the London area must be at a real disadvantage for wex. I salute you to your efforts :tongue: So what are you going to do for that? Do you have a relative or anyone that can drive you there? That was nice of them to give you that :smile: good luck getting it anyway :biggrin: I'm going to get some emails sorted for summer wex, don't want to risk waiting too long :s-smilie:

Yeah we need a proper big picture so we can admire Tripod Bunny. :biggrin:

As for what I'm going to do, uhh... in the immediate future I'm going to curl up into a ball and sulk. In all seriousness though I'm probably going to have to find a place that can provide accommodation. I'm hopefully going to go to a LA farm vet over summer (they were supposed to email me yesterday :rolleyes: I'll phone them back tomorrow if I still haven't heard anything :tongue: ) so I'll ask if they know any places. If there's nowhere closer, I'll just have to go somewhere on the train and stay away. London may have crap farmy wex, but at least we have good transport links! :tongue:

I ***think*** a relative of mine may have a sheep farm, so I don't know if that is worth pursuing. I literally know nothing about it though, there could be 1 sheep, there could be 50000 :tongue: I don't even think I've met her, and I have no idea where she lives, but I doubt it's anywhere close.

That brings me onto another point. My stable experience was on my aunt's stable, which is how I got it so easily. Is this going to be a problem at all do you think? In my defense, she's not a close relative (I say aunt but I think in reality she's my mum's mum's mum's sister's son's son's wife??? Yes I am being serious. :lol: ) and before last summer the last time I'd seen her was when I was two months old, so while I am biased I would honestly call it networking rather than nepotism :tongue: . It shouldn't be a problem, because the urban farm has horses too, so I'm getting equine experience there, I was just a bit anxious in case my stable stuff is going to be frowned upon... :s-smilie:
These were while he was four legged :tongue: ....

D'aww, what a sweetie :love: :biggrin:
Reply 552
Yeah we need a proper big picture so we can admire Tripod Bunny. :biggrin:

As for what I'm going to do, uhh... in the immediate future I'm going to curl up into a ball and sulk. In all seriousness though I'm probably going to have to find a place that can provide accommodation. I'm hopefully going to go to a LA farm vet over summer (they were supposed to email me yesterday :rolleyes: I'll phone them back tomorrow if I still haven't heard anything :tongue: ) so I'll ask if they know any places. If there's nowhere closer, I'll just have to go somewhere on the train and stay away. London may have crap farmy wex, but at least we have good transport links! :tongue:

I ***think*** a relative of mine may have a sheep farm, so I don't know if that is worth pursuing. I literally know nothing about it though, there could be 1 sheep, there could be 50000 :tongue: I don't even think I've met her, and I have no idea where she lives, but I doubt it's anywhere close.

That brings me onto another point. My stable experience was on my aunt's stable, which is how I got it so easily. Is this going to be a problem at all do you think? In my defense, she's not a close relative (I say aunt but I think in reality she's my mum's mum's mum's sister's son's son's wife??? Yes I am being serious. :lol: ) and before last summer the last time I'd seen her was when I was two months old, so while I am biased I would honestly call it networking rather than nepotism :tongue: . It shouldn't be a problem, because the urban farm has horses too, so I'm getting equine experience there, I was just a bit anxious in case my stable stuff is going to be frowned upon... :s-smilie:

Hahaha! Virgin trains FTW ko :tongue: Hope you get in! I'm sure you will :wink:

Oo that sounds good and I doubt that be invalid experience. A second cousin once removed's (which I think that is?) work with animals I.e. stables shouldn't stop you from counting that as equine experience thus making it usable. I think it is directed to close family links, parents, grandparents etc. because pushing it any further would be pointless since in quite a lot of cases where someone gets wex it's because of someone who knows someone or you know them. So I'm sure it's fine to do that :smile: Plus how will the universities know? I don't think they'll do a background check of every wex establishment and owner of every vet student :tongue: Anyway good luck for the lambing/sheep work! Going to bed soon for my lambing tomorrow :biggrin: !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahaha! Virgin trains FTW ko :tongue: Hope you get in! I'm sure you will :wink:

Oo that sounds good and I doubt that be invalid experience. A second cousin once removed's (which I think that is?) work with animals I.e. stables shouldn't stop you from counting that as equine experience thus making it usable. I think it is directed to close family links, parents, grandparents etc. because pushing it any further would be pointless since in quite a lot of cases where someone gets wex it's because of someone who knows someone or you know them. So I'm sure it's fine to do that :smile: Plus how will the universities know? I don't think they'll do a background check of every wex establishment and owner of every vet student :tongue: Anyway good luck for the lambing/sheep work! Going to bed soon for my lambing tomorrow :biggrin: !!

That's a point, it's not like it's called LittleTailChaser Farm or anything :tongue: Although I thought it might look a bit weird that I decided to go so far for equine stuff when there's loads of places nearer.

Early start is it? Well I hope you enjoy it :biggrin:
I'll post a picture of my rabbits sooner or later! If I can get one that does their beauty justice :wink:
Reply 555
Original post by Hollyheartsgoats
I'll post a picture of my rabbits sooner or later! If I can get one that does their beauty justice :wink:

I feel kinda' sad :frown: I'm the only one without any rabbits here :frown:
Original post by Hollyheartsgoats

This should totally just be renamed the 'Bunny Appreciation Thread' :lol:

Original post by MonMon
I feel kinda' sad :frown: I'm the only one without any rabbits here :frown:

At least you have an adorable little lambie in your avatar :redface:
Reply 557
Haha yup! It's smiling too! Which is something I can't say I'm doing when I'm looking to find large animal vets! :mad: Half of the contacts you gave me, asked me whether I was looking for small animal or equine work experience. Of course I said equine and as soon as I said it - they told me they don't let work experience people do equine. Great :biggrin:
Original post by MonMon
Haha yup! It's smiling too! Which is something I can't say I'm doing when I'm looking to find large animal vets! :mad: Half of the contacts you gave me, asked me whether I was looking for small animal or equine work experience. Of course I said equine and as soon as I said it - they told me they don't let work experience people do equine. Great :biggrin:

Fantastic isn't it :rolleyes: . I was supposed to get an email yesterday confirming whether or not I can go to an LA place in summer. It still hasn't come so I'll take that as a no, then :rolleyes: .

I still intend to chase them up about it :colone: . LTC is a persistent little bugger :tongue: .
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 559
Fantastic isn't it :rolleyes: . I was supposed to get an email yesterday confirming whether or not I can go to an LA place in summer. It still hasn't come so I'll take that as a no, then :rolleyes: .

I still intend to chase them up about it. LTC is a persistent little bugger :tongue: .

:biggrin::biggrin: Large animal vets aren't they wonderful :rolleyes: They totally want to help future vets. And so you should! I really hope you get it, because I might be able to find something to do with equine, after really hard work and lots of calls :biggrin: It's farm vets that I'm worried about!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending