The Student Room Group

Is 21K a year a good salary for starting the job?

Hi, I want to become a ODP and you start off at 21k which goes unto 80k a year, but is 21k good for the first year? Btw I'm in year 11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sully50sully
Hi, I want to become a ODP and you start off at 21k which goes unto 80k a year, but is 21k good for the first year? Btw I'm in year 11

Don't even start thinking about that when you're in Y11, concentrate on getting good GCSE/A-Levels first, then you can decide what you want to from there at Uni. Then even that isnt a big factor, I know somebody who did a degree in Geography and is working at a bank!

But 21k isnt too shabby anyway
Mate - Your in year 11

Learn to walk before you run. You may hit some hurdles along the way or even change your mind to something altogether different along the way. =l

Good luck though. Although 21k for a starting salary is good for any job, don't forget, you have no experience.
like the above posts state, i think its best if you concentrate on your exams instead of looking that far into the future. salaries shouldnt be on your mind! your in year 11 for gods sake lol.
Very good! I think the average wage is £26000 per year.

Focus on exams for now though! :wink:
Original post by SpiggyTopes
Very good! I think the average wage is £26000 per year.

Focus on exams for now though! :wink:

In which country is the average wage 26k a year?!
Original post by Scienceisgood
In which country is the average wage 26k a year?!

The UK!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20442666

It seems like a lot to me- although I am from the grim North! :biggrin:
Original post by SpiggyTopes
The UK!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20442666

It seems like a lot to me- although I am from the grim North! :biggrin:

I never thought it was this high...
I thought it was around the lowish 20s...

Given only big but cheap companies such as Mcdonalds is hiring more people and others are making others redundant...

I can't even find a part time job a Tesco!

EDIT:
When I say lowish, I thought it was about 22-23k...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I wouldn't say no!
Reply 9

I've got a place for ODP in September and I can assure you the salary does not go up to 80k
Original post by lmon
I've got a place for ODP in September and I can assure you the salary does not go up to 80k

It sort of does, NHS pay band 8D (and 9, and 8C if in London) goes up that high, but that's senior management level.
Reply 11
Original post by Potally_Tissed
It sort of does, NHS pay band 8D (and 9, and 8C if in London) goes up that high, but that's senior management level.

Ahhh I know but that's like theatre management... I wouldn't class that as an 'odp'
Even Surgical Care Practitioners only get £40k plus overtime, you definitely won't make £80k from being an ODP, even if you worked in the US which pays allied health professionals substantially more.
Reply 13
Original post by lmon

It's on the NHS website which goes unto band 8 which is from 40k to 81k get it out for your self but you have to be a theatre manager for example you probably have to have your masters in management and a phd.
Reply 14
Original post by Helloworld_95
Even Surgical Care Practitioners only get £40k plus overtime, you definitely won't make £80k from being an ODP, even if you worked in the US which pays allied health professionals substantially more.

It's on the NHS website which goes unto band 8 which is from 40k to 81k get it out for your self but you have to be a theatre manager for example you probably have to have your masters in management and a phd.
Reply 15
Original post by Potally_Tissed

But is that 21k salary want you get or does it get taxed and you have less ?
Reply 16
My sister is an ODP and I'm pretty sure they've had a pay band freeze for quite some time now... so don't bet on it being an easy thing to advance quickly!
Reply 18
Original post by linkdapink
My sister is an ODP and I'm pretty sure they've had a pay band freeze for quite some time now... so don't bet on it being an easy thing to advance quickly!

Yeah I understand what you mean but I think she should do management for masters degree or a phd to get paid way more!
Reply 19

I understand this but band 8 is one of the largest bands with many sub levels.
If you look at actual vacancies for theatre managers they are paid around 50k a year.

Quick Reply

Latest