The Student Room Group

Religious Studies A*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Username_valid
Are you in AS or A2 and what units are you doing?

I'm doing Religious Studies at A2 OCR :smile:
Thanks for making this thread. I'm predicted an A* in RS and I really need it for my firm choice! I do Edexcel so any tips on Edexcel RS for A2 would be highly appreciated! :smile:
Original post by Jackkkkk
AS: Ethics 81/100 + Philosophy 98/100
A2: Ethics 86/100 + Johns Gospel 97/100

Never use 'I' or say 'I Believe', or 'I fell' or 'I think', this will severely limit your grade. I gave a generalised intro, unpacking the question and outlining briefly the differing views for AO2 or the key concepts for AO1. Then gave a balanced essay and in the conclusion, you can hint your view based on an assessment of the evidence you have detailed within the main body of the essay. For example, 'perhaps the evidence points towards such and such view taking more prominence......' or 'When evaluating the given evidence, one would be more inclined to take the view that.....' etc or for AO1, opinion is not needed, so just summarise points and if there are gaps in information you can pull these up or briefly outline a few limitations to show depth of understanding but evaluation will not get you marks for AO1 as you know :smile:

Hi Jack
What were the codes for the A2 units? I'm assuming unit 3 was RST3A, but I can't seem to identify which unit was focused on John's Gospel.

Some great advice in this thread. :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
Hi Jack
What were the codes for the A2 units? I'm assuming unit 3 was RST3A, but I can't seem to identify which unit was focused on John's Gospel.

Some great advice in this thread. :biggrin:

RST3E was Johns Gospel, page 54:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2060-W-SP.PDF

And yeah Ethics is RST3A :smile:
RST3E was Johns Gospel, page 54:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2060-W-SP.PDF

And yeah Ethics is RST3A :smile:

I thought it was compulsory to choose one module from the unit 3 and 4 range?
Reply 26
I thought it was compulsory to choose one module from the unit 3 and 4 range?

Yeah your right :smile: My School we had some choice, and I ended up doing Life, Death and Beyond so Unit 4A and Johns Gospel. Most people haven't heard of LDB and it has similar aspects to ethics so i just say ethics as its easier. But your absolutely correct yeah one from each section :smile:
Yeah your right :smile: My School we had some choice, and I ended up doing Life, Death and Beyond so Unit 4A and Johns Gospel. Most people haven't heard of LDB and it has similar aspects to ethics so i just say ethics as its easier. But your absolutely correct yeah one from each section :smile:

Ah, this all makes sense now. So you did RST3E and RST4A. The only one I have in common is the RST4A, which is handy because it's the only one i'm struggling with at the moment.
In terms of essay structure for the 45 marker and the 30 marker, what advice would you give. My teacher is great with regards to inspiration and enthusiasm, but he's said near enough nothing about exam technique. He also keeps using the fact that it's a synoptic unit (i.e. we can't practice essays until the whole syllabus has been taught) as an excuse to avoid lessons on exam technique. Surely, he could give some guidance at this point?

Thanks for the help, i've been struggling to find someone other than my teacher for advice. Plus, there is no revision guide to turn to. :rolleyes:
Reply 28
Ah, this all makes sense now. So you did RST3E and RST4A. The only one I have in common is the RST4A, which is handy because it's the only one i'm struggling with at the moment.
In terms of essay structure for the 45 marker and the 30 marker, what advice would you give. My teacher is great with regards to inspiration and enthusiasm, but he's said near enough nothing about exam technique. He also keeps using the fact that it's a synoptic unit (i.e. we can't practice essays until the whole syllabus has been taught) as an excuse to avoid lessons on exam technique. Surely, he could give some guidance at this point?

Thanks for the help, i've been struggling to find someone other than my teacher for advice. Plus, there is no revision guide to turn to. :rolleyes:

To be honest as a synoptic unit you can draw on information from as many sources as you like. Check out the recommended books such as the key text by Hick which you can use for guidance as it contains the majority of the course content - which I guess you will already have done. Also as much extra or unique info as you can get will boost your grade and make your essay's unique. And Contemporary case studies, learn quotes and make sure you back up any points made - im sure you know all of this too!

In terms of structure, for AO1 always unpack the question and define key terms and as i previously said in this tread never write in the first person, ever! As AO1 is descriptive, i would just follow a logical train of thought. Another tip is to start sentences by referring to the question as you are showing the examiner you are answering it explicitly which should at least give you a solid level 5/6 so B/A grade. Its difficult to comment too much on structure as its very personal and I never really thought too much about it, apart from just unpacking the question in the intro and continually referring to the specification throughout to show the examiner you know which area's your being assessed on. You can do this by starting paragraph's with the same wording thats on the spec, they will then see you know the course, have done the research and if you continue the point with evidence and info you'll do great.

AO2 once again, I like to unpack the question and then talk about interpretation and how the question may be perceived by differing groups of people... then go to bounce of the other in the main body of the essay. Again link back to the spec and also use terms such as effectiveness when evaluating view points and theory as how effective the view point is theoretically and actually in practice within contemporary society may be very different. This can lead you on to the conclusion where you should try your best to make some form of objective decision based on the evidence you have and views you would have evaluated and compared against each other. Each essay would be different and there is No definitive right or wrong way to answer as long as you stay within parameters that the AO1 and AO2 answers require :smile:

Your teacher really should be giving you lots of example questions....We were doing them throughout the whole year as LDB is a synoptic module almost any info is relevant so long as you can back it up. The lessons should focus your attention to different areas and view points and this will aid your knowledge base from which to draw on - however, the most important thing i believe to have is unique information and to come across interested in the essay's you write.

exemplars on the AQA website: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2060-W-TRB-CEXR4AT1.PDF

And remember Hick - Death and eternal Life :smile:
Original post by Garrow1564
I'm doing Religious Studies at A2 OCR :smile:

Is it Ethics and Philosophy you're doing?
Hello!
I'm on WJEC doing RS. RS3 is Judaism and RS4 is synoptic on life after death and I was wondering if any WJEC student have any tips to achieve an A*. I'm working hard for it and if I keep that up it's possible to get it, but I just want extra tips and tricks to help me even further. Thanks!

And I am doing RS at degree level this academic year coming :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Username_valid
Is it Ethics and Philosophy you're doing?

Yes, it's such a fascinating A-level. I didn't originally intend to do it but it's of the best decisions I've made. I've become a Philosophy geek. :rolleyes:
To be honest as a synoptic unit you can draw on information from as many sources as you like. Check out the recommended books such as the key text by Hick which you can use for guidance as it contains the majority of the course content - which I guess you will already have done. Also as much extra or unique info as you can get will boost your grade and make your essay's unique. And Contemporary case studies, learn quotes and make sure you back up any points made - im sure you know all of this too!

In terms of structure, for AO1 always unpack the question and define key terms and as i previously said in this tread never write in the first person, ever! As AO1 is descriptive, i would just follow a logical train of thought. Another tip is to start sentences by referring to the question as you are showing the examiner you are answering it explicitly which should at least give you a solid level 5/6 so B/A grade. Its difficult to comment too much on structure as its very personal and I never really thought too much about it, apart from just unpacking the question in the intro and continually referring to the specification throughout to show the examiner you know which area's your being assessed on. You can do this by starting paragraph's with the same wording thats on the spec, they will then see you know the course, have done the research and if you continue the point with evidence and info you'll do great.

AO2 once again, I like to unpack the question and then talk about interpretation and how the question may be perceived by differing groups of people... then go to bounce of the other in the main body of the essay. Again link back to the spec and also use terms such as effectiveness when evaluating view points and theory as how effective the view point is theoretically and actually in practice within contemporary society may be very different. This can lead you on to the conclusion where you should try your best to make some form of objective decision based on the evidence you have and views you would have evaluated and compared against each other. Each essay would be different and there is No definitive right or wrong way to answer as long as you stay within parameters that the AO1 and AO2 answers require :smile:

Your teacher really should be giving you lots of example questions....We were doing them throughout the whole year as LDB is a synoptic module almost any info is relevant so long as you can back it up. The lessons should focus your attention to different areas and view points and this will aid your knowledge base from which to draw on - however, the most important thing i believe to have is unique information and to come across interested in the essay's you write.

exemplars on the AQA website: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2060-W-TRB-CEXR4AT1.PDF

And remember Hick - Death and eternal Life :smile:

Wow, thanks for giving such a comprehensive response. :biggrin:
From what you've outlined about the essays, I seem to be doing that anyway for my other paper. For the introduction, I usually define the terms in the question and give a brief abstract of the points that will follow in the essay. For instance, if the question was on neo-pentecostalism, i'd define the term and cite references of it in real life. After that, each paragraph is just a new point, but the first sentence always refers back to the question.

My qualms, however, lie in how to introduce scholars. Sometimes, scholars are not relevant to the question and detract from its focus, but the marking criteria for the top bands require scholarly reference. How did you get over this obstacle? Did you mention a couple of scholars per essay, or did you forgo it if it wasn't relevant?

I'll definitely look into the Hick book and the tip about using spec terms at the start of a paragraph sounds great. I'll definitely incorporate them into my future essays.

I had a look at the exemplar essays, but we haven't covered that part of the spec yet, so it was all a bit confusing. Do you still have any of your past essays? If so, i'd appreciate it if you could take a photo and upload them.

Thanks again, your advice has been invaluable! :biggrin:
Reply 33
Wow, thanks for giving such a comprehensive response. :biggrin:
From what you've outlined about the essays, I seem to be doing that anyway for my other paper. For the introduction, I usually define the terms in the question and give a brief abstract of the points that will follow in the essay. For instance, if the question was on neo-pentecostalism, i'd define the term and cite references of it in real life. After that, each paragraph is just a new point, but the first sentence always refers back to the question.

My qualms, however, lie in how to introduce scholars. Sometimes, scholars are not relevant to the question and detract from its focus, but the marking criteria for the top bands require scholarly reference. How did you get over this obstacle? Did you mention a couple of scholars per essay, or did you forgo it if it wasn't relevant?

I'll definitely look into the Hick book and the tip about using spec terms at the start of a paragraph sounds great. I'll definitely incorporate them into my future essays.

I had a look at the exemplar essays, but we haven't covered that part of the spec yet, so it was all a bit confusing. Do you still have any of your past essays? If so, i'd appreciate it if you could take a photo and upload them.

Thanks again, your advice has been invaluable! :biggrin:

No problem :smile: If the scholar's are not going to be relevant DONT put them in. However, thats why I mention extra info as you should be able to draw on a few people or school's of thought at least! Use the specification and for each bullet point make sure you have a few examples, quotes or view points. They can't ask anything thats not on the spec, so if you do this you won't/shouldn't end up in a position where you have no scholars to talk about. Its farrr better to evaluate a few or a couple than allow the essay to drift into a list of quotes or scholars though - link them with evaluation for AO2 essays and draw on their appropriateness for modern day society and their effectiveness in general. For AO1 its alot easier to fall into the trap of just listing, without description or even accidentally evaluating (which won't lose you marks as such, you just wont gain any)!

You dont always need to use scholars as evidence, for example, you could draw on groups or processes such as Cryonics for Life after Death, Mayan People and end of the world, etc you get the idea. If these examples can better illustrate your point than that of a Scholar then go with the example and not the critique - especially in AO1 essays - always give examples :smile:

I only have 2 essays that I did on the computer and saved and its on the nature of life, but Ill send it to you in a PM :smile:
No problem :smile: If the scholar's are not going to be relevant DONT put them in. However, thats why I mention extra info as you should be able to draw on a few people or school's of thought at least! Use the specification and for each bullet point make sure you have a few examples, quotes or view points. They can't ask anything thats not on the spec, so if you do this you won't/shouldn't end up in a position where you have no scholars to talk about. Its farrr better to evaluate a few or a couple than allow the essay to drift into a list of quotes or scholars though - link them with evaluation for AO2 essays and draw on their appropriateness for modern day society and their effectiveness in general. For AO1 its alot easier to fall into the trap of just listing, without description or even accidentally evaluating (which won't lose you marks as such, you just wont gain any)!

You dont always need to use scholars as evidence, for example, you could draw on groups or processes such as Cryonics for Life after Death, Mayan People and end of the world, etc you get the idea. If these examples can better illustrate your point than that of a Scholar then go with the example and not the critique - especially in AO1 essays - always give examples :smile:

I only have 2 essays that I did on the computer and saved and its on the nature of life, but Ill send it to you in a PM :smile:

I think your teacher may have used different examples to teach the topic. I haven't come across Cryonics or the Mayan People in any of my lessons.

RST4A isn't bullet pointed in the spec, it's just three paragraphs outlining the topic. That's probably the most annoying aspect of this unit, the spec just isn't very thorough. RST3A is relatively detailed though. I'll annotate the spec and link a few scholars into each point though.

EDIT: I've just clocked that your topic, albeit being RST4A is different. I think you did the first topic (Life, death and beyond), whereas I do the second topic - 'Perceptions of ultimate reality'. Ah, it all makes sense now, you had me worried when I couldn't relate to the content in your essay.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
I think your teacher may have used different examples to teach the topic. I haven't come across Cryonics or the Mayan People in any of my lessons.

RST4A isn't bullet pointed in the spec, it's just three paragraphs outlining the topic. That's probably the most annoying aspect of this unit, the spec just isn't very thorough. RST3A is relatively detailed though. I'll annotate the spec and link a few scholars into each point though.

EDIT: I've just clocked that your topic, albeit being RST4A is different. I think you did the first topic (Life, death and beyond), whereas I do the second topic - 'Perceptions of ultimate reality'. Ah, it all makes sense now, you had me worried when I couldn't relate to the content in your essay.

Oh okay! thats a completely different topic are so dw :smile:

The spec can be easily broken down into bullet points. Just at the end of each sentence treat it as a new point :smile:
Oh okay! thats a completely different topic are so dw :smile:

The spec can be easily broken down into bullet points. Just at the end of each sentence treat it as a new point :smile:

Yeah, just realised that. Thanks.
Hey could ANYONE please please send me the links or tell me the name of the books for AS and A2 Edexcel RE. This would help me greatly
Thank you :smile:
Reply 38
OCR point of view if anyone's inetersted: completely agree particularly to earlier points ('I think' definite nono!) basically, I've been told to incude quotes if you want top marks, but not tonnes of them and not if they're not relevant. You should try to use other scholars' point of view to base a point on, not just to show that you know other people exist in the argument! So in AO1 say 'this idea links to such-and-such's idea of whatever his/her idea is' followed by a BRIEF explanation of what that contibutes to the bit you're trying to explain, and in AO2 say such-and-such said whatever and this may be seen as a flaw/strength of the theory then go on to explain and evaluate.
Not sure about textbooks for Edexcel, I have some great OCR ones but they probably won't help. I assume you've tried asking/emailing your subject teacher? (Sorry that sounded really patronising - REALLY didn't mean it to be, it's just the sort of thing that is far too sensible for me to ever do! :s :smile: )
Original post by EmilyHelen
OCR point of view if anyone's inetersted: completely agree particularly to earlier points ('I think' definite nono!) basically, I've been told to incude quotes if you want top marks, but not tonnes of them and not if they're not relevant. You should try to use other scholars' point of view to base a point on, not just to show that you know other people exist in the argument! So in AO1 say 'this idea links to such-and-such's idea of whatever his/her idea is' followed by a BRIEF explanation of what that contibutes to the bit you're trying to explain, and in AO2 say such-and-such said whatever and this may be seen as a flaw/strength of the theory then go on to explain and evaluate.
Not sure about textbooks for Edexcel, I have some great OCR ones but they probably won't help. I assume you've tried asking/emailing your subject teacher? (Sorry that sounded really patronising - REALLY didn't mean it to be, it's just the sort of thing that is far too sensible for me to ever do! :s :smile: )

Hi, thanks for the response. What units did you do?

How many quotes would you say is reasonable, maybe 2-3 relevant ones or is it hard to put a number to it?

Could you also provide a link for the OCR books? that would be great!

Quick Reply

Latest