The Student Room Group

My brother got caught using my 16+ zip oyster card!

Hi, first off i know that what me and my brother did was wrong and i'm not gonna try and make any excuses to make us look better.

yesterday, my brother borrowed my oyster card as he didn't have enough money to pay for a bus pass and i weren't planning on going out.

on his way home, he got caught by an inspector and confiscated my oyster card. the inspector took his details - name, address etc. and said he should get a letter within 10 working days. The inspector also gave him 2 piece of paper one is a "receipt for withdrawn document" and the other one just says " RTM Fare Payments and tickets issued without payment are not transferrable and must be retained for inspection. They remain the property of TFL and must be surrendered on demand to an authorised agent of TFL. TFL enforcement team will be in contact with you within 10 working days...."

My question are
- what will happen? would he go to jail?
- would he have to pay a penalty, if so how much?
- will i be able to apply for a new oyster card?

Please reply :frown: Many thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry dude, you're both going to jail. Enjoy.
Reply 2
That's if they don't get the chair!
Reply 3
Original post by c.vine
Hi, first off i know that what me and my brother did was wrong and i'm not gonna try and make any excuses to make us look better.

yesterday, my brother borrowed my oyster card as he didn't have enough money to pay for a bus pass and i weren't planning on going out.

on his way home, he got caught by an inspector and confiscated my oyster card. the inspector took his details - name, address etc. and said he should get a letter within 10 working days. The inspector also gave him 2 piece of paper one is a "receipt for withdrawn document" and the other one just says " RTM Fare Payments and tickets issued without payment are not transferrable and must be retained for inspection. They remain the property of TFL and must be surrendered on demand to an authorised agent of TFL. TFL enforcement team will be in contact with you within 10 working days...."

My question are

People get away with carrying knives and stabbing each other, do you REALLY think you or your brother could go prison? I am sure that even if you were caught 100 times you still wouldn't be sent to prison. He will have to pay a fine and your oyster card may not be returned to you (at most).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by GPODT
People get away with carrying knives and stabbing each other, do you REALLY think you or your brother could go jail? I am sure that even if you were caught 100 times you still wouldn't be sent to prison. He will have to pay a fine and your oyster card may not be returned to you.

I'm just really worried. i read a lot of post and many said they had to go to court and stuff.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by c.vine

My question are

Probably a fine for trying to escape paying the bus fare, which will reduce if paid early.

And probably the suspension of your concession of free travel.........look at the behaviour code, you'll probably be able to earn it back.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14435.aspx
Only a £20 fine no biggie dont worry.
Reply 7
Original post by Iqbal007
Probably a fine for trying to escape paying the bus fare, which will reduce if paid early.

And probably the suspension of your concession of free travel.........look at the behaviour code, you'll probably be able to earn it back.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14435.aspx

Thank you soo much for taking the time out to reply to me!!! i'm worried about what the letter is going to say!
Reply 8
Bring back the chair!
Criminals like you should be hanged!!!!!!
Reply 9
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Only a £20 fine no biggie dont worry.

Thanks for the reply.. many post on google said they had to go to court and pay 100-300 pounds which is a lot!
Reply 10
a fine and you lose free travel at the most.
Reply 11
Original post by naman
a fine and you lose free travel at the most.

Thanks for replying! hopefully its just that.. now have to wait 10 days to see what the letter says.
Original post by c.vine

My question are

Something similar happened to one of my friends, he leant someone his oyster card & then they got caught. The person he leant it to got a small fine and he had to do community service (picking up rubbish in our local park) before they returned it.
Reply 13
Original post by smileyelzz
Something similar happened to one of my friends, he leant someone his oyster card & then they got caught. The person he leant it to got a small fine and he had to do community service (picking up rubbish in our local park) before they returned it.

thank you for replying. do you happen to know how old the person who had to pay the fine was? my brother's 18+ i'm not sure if that makes the situation worse for him.
Reply 14
Original post by SecretDuck
People like you should shut up, m'kay?

Thank you SecretDuck
Original post by c.vine
thank you for replying. do you happen to know how old the person who had to pay the fine was? my brother's 18+ i'm not sure if that makes the situation worse for him.

Oh, yeah the person was 16 & it was an 11-15 oyster so that might change things. Sorry, I didn't read the title properly :colondollar:
Reply 16
Original post by smileyelzz
Oh, yeah the person was 16 & it was an 11-15 oyster so that might change things. Sorry, I didn't read the title properly :colondollar:

oh okay. ah i'm so so worried. thanks for replying though.
Reply 17
Original post by SecretDuck
People like you should shut up, m'kay?

What is wrong with you!
I think you've been watching too much southpark!
Reply 18
My impression of public transport in London is that it's a big joke on the public.
Reply 19
Original post by Coffinman
My impression of public transport in London is that it's a big joke on the public.

tis is the first time we've done it. its just that my brother didn't have enough money to buy a day bus pass and my mum wasn't at home.

Latest

Trending

Trending