The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I simply don't understand the point of rich people consuming expensive stuff. It doesn't matter how much your belt cost, if you're the one buying it instead of the one selling it, YOU'RE THE LOSER. How could it be otherwise?

Seriously, I do wonder when these dinosaurs will realise conspicuous consumption just isn't cool any more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by specter.harvey
That she's been selling her body to buy this belt and automatically she's a prostitue.

Roxannnnnnnnnnnneee. You don't have to purchase that Gucci merchandise.
Those days are over. I'll buy you something from primark.
Roxannnnnnnnnnnnneee. You don't have to put on that Gucci belt tonight.
Those days are over. I'll give money for a BJ, allright?
ROXAANNNNNNEEEE. TAKE OFF YOUR GUCCI BELT.
ROXXAAANNNNEEE. TAKE OFF YOUR TROUSERS WHILE YOUR AT IT
ROXXXXXAAANNNEEE. I've got a sneaky suspicion you're a man.

Yes I am lol, my friend he is getting one, so I thought I might as well ask
Reply 42
Original post by specter.harvey
He must be gay.

I'm straight :cool:
Original post by lyrical_lie
For some reason I found helarious and then I tried to sing it and couldn't stop laughing. Bravo :P

My aim is to become a writer for comedy TV shows (i.e. family guy) so: mission accomplished!
More money than sense.
I couldn't care less.
Original post by sully50sully
what is your opinion?

I would think that he likes to flaunt his wealth.
But why would anyone spend that much money on a belt? :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by sml96
only chavs and chino ****ers wear expensive gucci/LV belts LOL. It's not cool :smile:

Chav's can't afford that ****, you mad (unless you mean fakes :wink:).
Original post by f1mad
Chav's can't afford that ****, you mad (unless you mean fakes :wink:).

Wearing either of them makes them look stupid lol.
I wouldn't spend £215 on a belt even if I was a multi-millionaire.
Reply 50
i would be giving deep thought firstly to the **** i do not give and possibly if i didnt like her how i could steal and sell it without getting noticed...
I'm suprised with some of the mean spirited answers in this thread. I don't think the price of someone's belt matters, if they can afford it and like it I don't see the problem. There's only a problem if someone purchases an item well beyond their means. Plus, belts are staples which will last years unlike a flashy dress or heels that girls only wear once or twice.
Reply 52
what is your opinion?

useless...
I would assume it cost £5 from a market stall. That's my standard assumption for any garish 'designer' product I see on anyone, regardless of age. Gucci belts, Louis Vuitton bags, Ralph Lauren Big Pony (I'm unsure if that's really 'designer' in the same context, but it fits into the same category) that sort of thing. Gucci belts tend to be particularly ugly as well, so I'd assume they were so desperate for a status symbol that they were willing to forgo any sense of style in order to wear it.

The bigger and more prominent the branding on someone's clothing, the greater their desperation to be noticed as someone who can afford status symbols, and in many cases this equates to someone who isn't actually very well-off, but spends a disproportionately large percentage of their income trying to persuade casual observers that they are. People who are actually well-off will rarely need to use their clothing to scream about it.

Therefore I'd think quite little of them, but not as little as I'd think of an adult doing the same. It's excusable when you're 15, if a little silly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
You could feed Ian Duncan Smith for 4 weeks and have £3 left ... to buy a belt
Reply 55
Firstly, I'd think it was a knock off fake from a market stall, no matter what they said.

Secondly, I'd also think they have absolutely no sense of fashion at all.

Lastly, I'd constantly take the piss out of them for wearing it.
Reply 56
Original post by SannaS
Stereotypical assho**

Im an Asian myself. it's just what I see the younger generation are doing. only giving my opinion on the matter.
what if they earned that money and made that money in like 2-3 months?

People will say you have every right to spend your money how you want, but personally I think that it's immensely naive to spend 2-3 month's wages on an item of clothing. I saved up all my part time job money and I needed every penny of it at university.

If your parents plan to fund the beginning of your life after school that's fine, but if not then I would seriously advise you, for your own sake, to keep the money. You can always spend it later :smile:
Original post by 20z12
Must be an Asian, I've seen quite a few of them with fake Gucci, watches, belts, shoes. They think they are ruling the world. Feel like slapping these guys to knock sense into them.

Erm... I'm Asian and I don't wear fake goods (knowingly)...

The only real designer item I'm wearing now are my Ben Sherman shoes, but then I find that spending £80 on shoes is better economy than buying lots of cheap shoes. (Besides, I got them for £50 at another site that had them reduced)

This being said, I really like the look of Next signature belts. I bought one. It broke in about 3 weeks.... I got one from Burton/Topman (one of those shops) and it's tearing apart. The only one that seems to stay together is the cheap belt from Asda. Make of that what you will. I don't particularly like the design, but not many places have "small" belts ie: I've seen some that have "extra small" "medium" and "large" belts, and hardly any place has small ones!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
I don't understand the priorities of a person who would spend £215 on a belt.

Latest

Trending

Trending