The Student Room Group

What salary would you be happy with...

....personally I feel I could only deem myself successful, career wise, if I eventually earn over 50k a year, ideally would like 70k.

I am deluding myself? Career wise it would be possible for me to eventually earn that much money (50k) but equally in my career I could be stuck on 40k max if I do not pursue higher level working commitments e.g management.

In my opinion 40k is not a lot of money. I have no idea why I think this. Both my parents are just above minimum wage earners so I don't know why I feel 40k would not be an acceptable amount of money to earn, for me, personally.

I'd like to hear what other peoples salary expectations are??

Scroll to see replies

40k ain't lots but a lot of people say its huge?
Reply 2
I wouldn't be happy earning 40k, once you have paid all the bills it wouldn't leave much, especially by the time I get to earning that kind of money!
Reply 3
I'd be ecstatic if I was offered a job paying 40K. Right now I'd be happy with any full time job.
Original post by peaspod
I wouldn't be happy earning 40k, once you have paid all the bills it wouldn't leave much, especially by the time I get to earning that kind of money!

I'm expecting £180,000 at the peak of my career, with my career path I think its reasonable
Reply 5
Right now I'd be happy with 40k!! but if I retire on 40k I wouldn't be happy
40K is just above my grad starting wage. No way I'm planning to earn that forever (but then I don't plan to work 9-5 at any point in my life either).
Reply 7
personally i wouldn't be happy with what ever i earn, i'd always want more
Original post by peaspod
Right now I'd be happy with 40k!! but if I retire on 40k I wouldn't be happy

Original post by Donald Duck
40K is just above my grad starting wage. No way I'm planning to earn that forever (but then I don't plan to work 9-5 at any point in my life either).

what careers do you have in mind?
Reply 9
I'd like to add that I will never have a career as well paid as say consultants/lawyers/finance sector etc. I'm a scientist and we earn crap money and the best I could ever achieve would be 100k but that's the best of best! I will always aim for that but realistically I think I could achieve 50-70k. My friends think I am expecting to much and that 40k is a good wage :/ I live in the South East also, so 40k will not get me anywhere!
Reply 10
why the neg? These are purely my own expectations and I am keen to hear what other people expect from themselves.
Original post by peaspod
why the neg? These are purely my own expectations and I am keen to hear what other people expect from themselves.

so I asked you before, what career are you pursuing?
Reply 12
Original post by Stressed Eric
so I asked you before, what career are you pursuing?

and I mentioned in a previous post I am a scientist, currently in the NHS but may move back over the private sector.

Also been offered a job as a clinical trials manager so if I take that I could get to my target salary a lot quicker but it's a boring job, I would miss the lab and also leave behind everything I have ever worked for!
60k a year and i would be happy, medical dude here. (wannabe doct0r)
30k a year.
Original post by peaspod
....personally I feel I could only deem myself successful, career wise, if I eventually earn over 50k a year, ideally would like 70k.

I am deluding myself? Career wise it would be possible for me to eventually earn that much money (50k) but equally in my career I could be stuck on 40k max if I do not pursue higher level working commitments e.g management.

In my opinion 40k is not a lot of money. I have no idea why I think this. Both my parents are just above minimum wage earners so I don't know why I feel 40k would not be an acceptable amount of money to earn, for me, personally.

I'd like to hear what other peoples salary expectations are??

For me it's the thought of my earnings being limited that's unattractive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OU Student
30k a year.

At the peak of your career or before then?
Original post by yorkshire.lad
60k a year and i would be happy, medical dude here. (wannabe doct0r)

As a doctor it wouldn't be too difficult for you to do much better than that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I think I'd be happy to earn between 40-50k as a film/television editor, but hopefully I can get enough experience and money together sometime in the future to start my own production company and who knows what I'd earn then! :cool:
I think you could be perfectly comfortable on £40k for much of your career (especially factoring in spouse income), but if money is how you keep score then you could do better.

Latest

Trending

Trending