The Student Room Group

Titration

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by otrivine
yep that is what I got :smile:

A 25.0 cm3 sample of a solution containing both Fe2+ and Fe3+ ions was acidified and titrated with 0.022 mol dm-3 manganate (VII) solution (containing the MnO4- ion) requiring 15.0 cm3. A second sample of the same solution was treated with excess Zn to reduce all the Fe3+ to Fe2+ and then, after filtering, was titrated against the same permanganate solution requiring 19.0 cm3.

a) Write down balanced half equations for the following

i) MnO4- is reduced to Mn2+ in acid conditions
ii) Zn is oxidized to Zn2+
iii) Fe3+ is reduced to Fe2+
iv) Fe2+ is oxidized to Fe3+ (4 marks)

b) In the first titration only the Fe2+ reacts with acidified MnO4-. Use this information, and a balanced net overall redox reaction, to calculate the concentration of Fe2+ in the solution. (4 marks)

c) With the second sample the zinc reacts with Fe3+ to Fe2+. Write a balanced equation for this reaction. (1 mark)

d) After all the Fe3+ has been converted to Fe2+ it is then titrated again with acidified MnO4-. Calculate the concentration of Fe2+ at this point and use this value, and your answer to b), to calculate the concentration of Fe3+ present in the solution before the zinc was added. (5 marks)
e) Why is it necessary to filter off the zinc before the second titration takes place? (1 mark)

we did the calculation part , can you do a)c)e)

to see if my answer is same as urs

ai) 5e- + 8H+ + MnO4- -> + Mn2+ 4H2O
ii) Zn -> Zn2+ + 2e-
iii) e- + Fe3+ -> Fe2+
iv) Fe2+ -> Fe3+ + e-

c) Zn + 2Fe3+ -> Zn2+ + 2Fe2+

e) the zinc causes Fe3+ to be reduced, the titration will oxidise Fe2+ into Fe3+ if this is then reduced there is no end point for the titration
Reply 61
Original post by ZakRob

ai) 5e- + 8H+ + MnO4- -> + Mn2+ 4H2O
ii) Zn -> Zn2+ + 2e-
iii) e- + Fe3+ -> Fe2+
iv) Fe2+ -> Fe3+ + e-

c) Zn + 2Fe3+ -> Zn2+ + 2Fe2+

e) the zinc causes Fe3+ to be reduced, the titration will oxidise Fe2+ into Fe3+ if this is then reduced there is no end point for the titration

Yup I got those too! Actually you know the Kc calculation we did last night! I am still stuck on it, the 77.6% :frown:

was the answer 2.91?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 62
Yup I got those too! Actually you know the Kc calculation we did last night! I am still stuck on it, the 77.6% :frown:

was the answer 2.91?

Yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63

Are you on OCR?Are you doing F324 in summer then?
Reply 64

the first calculation was 1.53 and second was 2.91, why would then the reaction be exothermic? cause if forward reaction is exothermic ,Kc decreases?
Reply 65
Are you on OCR?Are you doing F324 in summer then?

Yh im doing f324 in the summer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by ZakRob
Yh im doing f324 in the summer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too, what to revise :smile:

Define:zwitterion
Reply 67
the first calculation was 1.53 and second was 2.91, why would then the reaction be exothermic? cause if forward reaction is exothermic ,Kc decreases?

For simplicity you can't look so deep into it. Yes I see where your coming from, the system is trying to move equilibrium to try to oppose the change, so any temp increase maybe very small

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Me too, what to revise :smile:

Define:zwitterion

Im still doing my physics, but I'll try answering. It's an ion which can have a positive and negative charge at the same time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by ZakRob
Im still doing my physics, but I'll try answering. It's an ion which can have a positive and negative charge at the same time

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes but also state that it is a dipolar ionic form of an amino acid by the donation of hydrogen ion from carboxyl group to amino group.

My turn, wow Physics is so hard, I just did GCSE physics and got B. No more:colondollar:
Reply 70

HI sorry am new on here...pls how did you get 2.91? thanks
Reply 71
Can you help me question 3 and show me step by step please, I am struggling. thank you.

3.Ethanoic acid can be manufactured by the followingreaction, which is carried out between150 °C and 200 °C.
CH3OH(g)+ CO(g) CH3COOH(g)

a) Amixture 17.6 moles of methanol and 19.6 moles of carbon monoxide is allowed toreach equilibrium at 175°C in a container with volume 5 dm3. It wasfound that 12.2 moles of ethanoic acid had been formed.
Write down anexpression for Kc for this reaction

i) Calculate the concentrations of methanol andcarbon monoxide present at equilibrium. Show your working.
(4 marks)

ii) Hence calculate Kc (to 3significant figures) including its units
(2 marks)

b) How,if any, would addition of extra carbon monoxide affect the following? Justifyyour answers.

i) The value of the equilibrium constant forformation of ethanoic acid
(2 marks)

ii) The equilibrium yield of ethanoic acid.

c) Anothersample containing 17.6 moles of methanol and 19.6 moles of carbon monoxide wasallowed to reach equilibrium, but at a lower temperature. This time it wasfound that 77.6% of methanol had reacted.
(i)Calculate the valueof Kc at the lower temperature. Give your answer to 3 significantfigures
(ii) Use your answers to aii) and bi) to decide whether the reaction was exothermicor endothermic. Explain your answer

Reply 72
Original post by kayd
HI sorry am new on here...pls how did you get 2.91? thanks

why? what course are you doing
Reply 73
why? what course are you doing

Am doing a foundation degree and i happen to have the same questions...:frown:
Reply 74
Original post by kayd
Am doin a foundation degree ad i happe to have the same questions...:frown:

what is ur name?
Reply 75
what is ur name?

Kate
Reply 76
Original post by kayd
Kate

my name is otrivine :smile:

Literally, if you see an example above , it explains how to do the question
Reply 77
my name is otrivine :smile:

Literally, if you see an example above , it explains how to do the question

Nice name
I worked my way to 1.53 but i got stuck on my way abouts the 77.6%.
Reply 78
Original post by kayd
Nice name
I worked my way to 1.53 but i got stuck on my way abouts the 77.6%.

what you do is 77.6/100 x 17.6=13.something , this is the equilibrium amount/mole of the acid.

then you use this value for substarting the initial amount of CH3OH and CO. then get concentration and sub the values into the Kc expression.
should I also include the equation , its the same but you put the Fe2+ on LHS and Fe3+ on RHS

For each of the unbalanced redox equations below:

a) MnO4- + U3+ Mn2+ + UO2+ in aqueous acid (H+ present) conditions
b) Cr2O72- + C2O42- CO2 + Cr3+ in aqueous acid (H+ present) solutions

(i) Identify which species is the oxidizing agent and which is the reducing agent.

for this

a) oxidisng agnet = Mno4- and reducing agent = UO2+
b) oxidisng agent = Cr2o7 2- and reducing agent = C2O4 2-

Otrivine, what is U?

Quick Reply

Latest