The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by peaspod
I wouldn't be happy earning 40k, once you have paid all the bills it wouldn't leave much, especially by the time I get to earning that kind of money!

Are we talking in pounds here? :s-smilie:

I earn less than that, and right now I have plenty of money left after tax, bills, mortgage repayments, etc. However I don't have children and only living in a small flat. I suppose maybe £40k wouldn't seem like so much if I had children to support or if I was living somewhere more expensive like London.

Either people here generally have very high expectations, or I'm not as materialistic as I thought I was. I honestly don't know what I'd do with the extra money if I earned £40k.
Reply 21
Original post by Psyk

I earn less than that, and right now I have plenty of money left after tax, bills, mortgage repayments, etc. However I don't have children and only living in a small flat. I suppose maybe £40k wouldn't seem like so much if I had children to support or if I was living somewhere more expensive like London.

Either people here generally have very high expectations, or I'm not as materialistic as I thought I was. I honestly don't know what I'd do with the extra money if I earned £40k.

We used to have a household income of 54K, we have 2 children. Both of us were made redundant and now our household income for now is 12K. 20K would be a big improvement never mind 40K. We would definitely have money left over after the bills on 40K.
Possible but not probable.
You havent even said which career you want which suggests that it isnt important to you, just as long as you earn lots of money.
Reply 23
Original post by Psyk

I believe geographically, your salary would be quite high in comparison... wherever you're at, if 40k a year can suit you perfectly, then it can be considered a high wage.

I know someone who earns somewhere in the regions of 80k... but almost all of that goes into living costs, cause her area is so damn expensive to live in. So with all the money left over, relatively, you two would be on the same sort of account balance.

...Sorry I worded that so badly xD
Original post by Stressed Eric
I'm expecting £180,000 at the peak of my career, with my career path I think its reasonable

may I ask what career path this is?
Original post by Dami_O
As a doctor it wouldn't be too difficult for you to do much better than that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not too fussed about the wage as long as its enough for me and my family to live comfortably. The scope for doctors is usually £70k+ AFAIK.

I want to do it because i will enjoy helping others. Even if it was 40/50k I'd still do it
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
£32k starting salary, rising to 60k by the time i am chartered say 5 years time.
As long as I can live on it without building up debt I'll be happy.
£40,000+
I want to be an Macro Economist or Health Economist for the Government or Private Sector, does anyone know how much they make?
How much do you currently earn?
Reply 31
Original post by peaspod
I'd like to add that I will never have a career as well paid as say consultants/lawyers/finance sector etc. I'm a scientist and we earn crap money and the best I could ever achieve would be 100k but that's the best of best! I will always aim for that but realistically I think I could achieve 50-70k. My friends think I am expecting to much and that 40k is a good wage :/ I live in the South East also, so 40k will not get me anywhere!

Why focus on salary? As a scientist options are a route to wealth but you have to be v. lucky.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by sharp910sh
£32k starting salary, rising to 60k by the time i am chartered say 5 years time.

Surveyor?
I'm not particularly materialistic or anything. Having lots of money doesn't really matter that much to me, because I don't really think I'd have anything to spend it on in particular. However, doing well in my career does matter to me. And so I would like as high a salary as possible, because it would be like a measure of how successful I am at my job. A bit like having a high score in Tetris or something.

I'd hope I could make it to at least £160,000, because that's not too uncommon for people in my career. So if I reached that, it would be indicative of a fairly decent performance level.
I think my current possible career tops out at about 40k after about 15 years of work... Hmm.

TBH as long as I can afford my own home and support any kids I have without getting into debt, I can cope with a lower salary.
Reply 35
Original post by precious maro
may I ask what career path this is?

flying carpet salesman
Reply 36
I don't think Ill really care too much. As long as I love my job and have *enough* money coming it. X)
Reply 37
I'm entering teacher training this year, so obviously wages don't bother me hugely. I'd like to earn enough to actually enjoy life a bit, rather than struggle to pay everything, but ultimately I'm happy at 25k< and would be especially happy with a headteacher's salary
Depends on cost of living obviously. For central London 40k doesnt go very far for the countryside its great but you cant have both. I'd be happy with total earnings after tax of £2500 per month.
£40k + a year

Latest

Trending

Trending