The Student Room Group

Stereotypical 'Gap Year' is a Waste of Time. Discuss.

I am utterly apathetic to the anecdotes of the pseudo-raconteurs who seem to think that "doing something different/unique" is going to Australia/Thailand etc.

We all know the locales that such people go to. What I want to know is why.

I purport that going to, for example Australia, is a silly, childish way of "building-character". There are far more interesting places to go.

There may be some interesting characters who have travelled around Australia, but it seems, at least via anecdotal evidence, that a plethora of such students are boring as hell.

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jamesrobbo1
I am utterly apathetic to the anecdotes of the pseudo-raconteurs who seem to think that "doing something different/unique" is going to Australia/Thailand etc.

We all know the locales that such people go to. What I want to know is why.

I purport that going to, for example Australia, is a silly, childish way of "building-character". There are far more interesting places to go.

There may be some interesting characters who have travelled around Australia, but it seems, at least via anecdotal evidence, that a plethora of such students are boring as hell.

Discuss.

Can I ask you something? Have you travelled to the other side of the world by yourself to a totally different culture? (Which yes Australia is?) If you have and you have this view then fair enough but if you haven't then I really don't think you can comment. Why is going to Australia a
silly childish way of "building-character"?
Have you done manual farm work in 35 degree heats plus with the threat of poisonous snakes? Have you scuba dived/snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef? Have you walked along a street past a wild dingo? If you haven't then please don't say that going to Australia is a "boring" place to go on a Gap Year.
Reply 2
Original post by Harpoon
Can I ask you something? Have you travelled to the other side of the world by yourself to a totally different culture? (Which yes Australia is?) If you have and you have this view then fair enough but if you haven't then I really don't think you can comment. Why is going to Australia a Have you done manual farm work in 35 degree heats plus with the threat of poisonous snakes? Have you scuba dived/snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef? Have you walked along a street past a wild dingo? If you haven't then please don't say that going to Australia is a "boring" place to go on a Gap Year.

1) I have been to 99 countries. Although to be fair I am including places like Wales, Monaco etc in that.

2) No I have not worked on a farm, but I have worked in the Congo (DRC) with an NGO I founded, as well as for a local newspaper. I have interviewed and met countless combatants. Perhaps not as hardcore as picking fruit.

All I am saying is that people do the same thing, because it is easy. It is easy to find a job on a farm. It is easy to book a ticket to Australia. What is difficult about that? It is English-speaking for a start.
Reply 3
P.S. Australia is by no means a "completely" different culture.
Reply 4
It all depends on what you do during the gap year...

Sure, it's all well and good travelling around - but gap years would be utterly useless if you spend all your time laying on a beach doing nothing all day.

However, if you're travelling for a purpose such as volunteering or fundraising for charities, NGO's and the like, then yes - gap years are extremely useful - it shows that you've got an active interest in getting involved and supporting the wider community!

Also, gap year internships and programmes with firms could also boost your work experience - that also helps with university admissions, in addition to demonstrating to future employers that you've got considerable experience to bring to the table.

So yeah. Gap years are extremely useful if you spend it productively but travelling around, having a slumber in hotels and playing volleyball with bikini babes certainly DOESN'T build your character.
Reply 5
Get a life and stop ranting about nothing on the internet.

If you want a discussion, discuss something of significance. Rather than moaning about how people live their lives.
Reply 6
Original post by ss_s95
It all depends on what you do during the gap year...

Sure, it's all well and good travelling around - but gap years would be utterly useless if you spend all your time laying on a beach doing nothing all day.

However, if you're travelling for a purpose such as volunteering or fundraising for charities, NGO's and the like, then yes - gap years are extremely useful - it shows that you've got an active interest in getting involved and supporting the wider community!

Also, gap year internships and programmes with firms could also boost your work experience - that also helps with university admissions, in addition to demonstrating to future employers that you've got considerable experience to bring to the table.

So yeah. Gap years are extremely useful if you spend it productively but travelling around, having a slumber in hotels and playing volleyball with bikini babes certainly DOESN'T build your character.

Internships and the like I certainly do not discount. I am talking about the "LETS GO TO THAILAND CUS IT WILL BE PROPER DIFFERENT BUT WE WILL JUST SIT ON THE BEACH AT PHUKET"
Reply 7
Original post by bssjonny
Get a life and stop ranting about nothing on the internet.

If you want a discussion, discuss something of significance. Rather than moaning about how people live their lives.

It is of significance. Since large quantities of students continue to squander money and time doing the aforementioned activities.

Perhaps you engaged in such activities? Interesting. Tell me about how cultured and aware you are.
Reply 8
1) I have been to 99 countries. Although to be fair I am including places like Wales, Monaco etc in that.

2) No I have not worked on a farm, but I have worked in the Congo (DRC) with an NGO I founded, as well as for a local newspaper. I have interviewed and met countless combatants. Perhaps not as hardcore as picking fruit.

All I am saying is that people do the same thing, because it is easy. It is easy to find a job on a farm. It is easy to book a ticket to Australia. What is difficult about that? It is English-speaking for a start.

Congratulations, do you want a medal for that?
Again, well done. How did that go for you? (no sarcasm intended in that)

But why is it easy? I can assure you it's not bloody easy to find a job on a farm.

And yes it's English speaking, maybe saying the culture is "totally" different was distorting the issue but it is still a different culture. I have never, in any other countries that I've been to, been at work at 5am and then left work at 1pm.
Someone's set out to prove how superior their gap year is to mere mortals' it seems

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
It is of significance. Since large quantities of students continue to squander money and time doing the aforementioned activities.

Perhaps you engaged in such activities? Interesting. Tell me about how cultured and aware you are.

Sounds like you're slightly jealous if I'm honest. I would go back to Australia in a heartbeat and "squander money and time" all day long if I could.
Reply 11
I think most people who travel like that do it for the fun and to see new places, not to be unique or "find themselves". Plus, women who travel often like to go via the beaten track a bit more as it's likely to be safer.

Admittedly I'm never quite sure why somewhere like Oz would be someone's first choice when there are so many vastly different cultures in the world, but each to their own. Doesn't affect you, does it?

I had a gap year and travelled, and it was certainly not a waste of time. Not because of any spiritual or character-building experiences (though I did have many of the latter), but because it was simply bloody fun and I've no idea when I'll next get the chance to travel like that. Can't that be the reason?
Reply 12
Original post by MeikleTreikle
Someone's set out to prove how superior their gap year is to mere mortals' it seems

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did I mention my activities? Now where exactly does it state that I took on a Gap Year. Looking forward to your response.

Original post by Harpoon
Sounds like you're slightly jealous if I'm honest. I would go back to Australia in a heartbeat and "squander money and time" all day long if I could.

Jealous of what? I have been to Australia as well.
Reply 13

They "squander" their money so that they can have a good time and enjoy their youth. It doesn't matter if "large quantities of students" do this. It shouldn't be of any concern to you. If you don't like talking to them, don't talk to them.

Also why are you talking as though you have looked up every word in a thesaurus in a vain attempt to seem intelligent.
Reply 14
Original post by Jelkin
I think most people who travel like that do it for the fun and to see new places, not to be unique or "find themselves". Plus, women who travel often like to go via the beaten track a bit more as it's likely to be safer.

Admittedly I'm never quite sure why somewhere like Oz would be someone's first choice when there are so many vastly different cultures in the world, but each to their own. Doesn't affect you, does it?

I had a gap year and travelled, and it was certainly not a waste of time. Not because of any spiritual or character-building experiences (though I did have many of the latter), but because it was simply bloody fun and I've no idea when I'll next get the chance to travel like that. Can't that be the reason?

Perfectly reasonable. My argument is aimed contra the typical Gap Year characters. Anyone who has been to a decent university knows who they are.

Australia is absolutely not a different culture. Just more brash, and generally more loud.
Reply 15
Jealous of what? I have been to Australia as well.

Where did you go? What did you do? Don't judge people based on your lifestyle and interests.
Reply 16

Do you think the idea of cycling through Europe for a summer seeing war torn countries such as Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia whilst visiting leisurely places like France and Germany is a waste of time?
Reply 17
Original post by Harpoon
Congratulations, do you want a medal for that?
Again, well done. How did that go for you? (no sarcasm intended in that)

But why is it easy? I can assure you it's not bloody easy to find a job on a farm.

And yes it's English speaking, maybe saying the culture is "totally" different was distorting the issue but it is still a different culture. I have never, in any other countries that I've been to, been at work at 5am and then left work at 1pm.

In reference to "5am" start. Many people in the UK start work near this time, such as factory workers; nothing particularly interesting about that.

Original post by bssjonny
They "squander" their money so that they can have a good time and enjoy their youth. It doesn't matter if "large quantities of students" do this. It shouldn't be of any concern to you. If you don't like talking to them, don't talk to them.

Also why are you talking as though you have looked up every word in a thesaurus in a vain attempt to seem intelligent.

Ad hominem, nice one.
Reply 18

wow how have you been to so many countries?

Also, i think it's done because it's considered fun and people say that stuff because it makes it sound better.
But there's nothing wrong with those types of gap years really.
Many people just want a year off education where they can live in a different environment. I don't know why you have singled out Australia and Thailand as i know many people taking a Gap year who are not even going to those countries. Even so, just because someone goes to a place like Australia, doesn't mean it cannot be character building. Yes Australia is not very different from the UK, but the person would still be a stanger in a completely new surrounding and environment. They may even participate in a work scheme or charity group. All of these reasons, plus the obvious one of getting some independence can be seen as a way of "building-character" :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest