The Student Room Group

Stereotypical 'Gap Year' is a Waste of Time. Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jamesrobbo1
In reference to "5am" start. Many people in the UK start work near this time, such as factory workers; nothing particularly interesting about that.

Pretty sure no one in the UK goes to work in a cucumber greenhouse farm at that time in 40 degree heats plus and finishes work at 1 to drive to the beach straight after :rolleyes:
I didn't do a gap year before uni, but for me there's no worse idea than leaving school, doing my 4 years of uni, graduating, going straight into a graduate office job and then spending 45 years in the office 9-5.

i want to explore a bit while I'm young.

but that's just me.
Reply 22
Original post by bssjonny
They "squander" their money so that they can have a good time and enjoy their youth. It doesn't matter if "large quantities of students" do this. It shouldn't be of any concern to you. If you don't like talking to them, don't talk to them.

Also why are you talking as though you have looked up every word in a thesaurus in a vain attempt to seem intelligent.

This made me chuckle (couldn't give +rep, reached my limit :angry::angry:) - but yeah I mean it depends on what you want to achieve at the end of the day, and if people want to relax - so be it!

But OP, to say gap years in general are useless - that's just completely ignorant. People do amazing things during gap years!
Reply 23
Original post by non
wow how have you been to so many countries?

Also, i think it's done because it's considered fun and people say that stuff because it makes it sound better.
But there's nothing wrong with those types of gap years really.

I have just been lucky as I have had a few jobs/study abroad opportunities, and every time I have one I make sure it is in a region I have never been to, so as I can go to a fair few countries in the target region.
Original post by ANB1993
Do you think the idea of cycling through Europe for a summer seeing war torn countries such as Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia whilst visiting leisurely places like France and Germany is a waste of time?

This sounds nice and I like this. Though I take issue with the latter activity - Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia are not that war torn and if you have been there, then you should have the respect to portray those states in a balanced light.

Original post by Harpoon
Where did you go? What did you do? Don't judge people based on your lifestyle and interests.

I am not attempting to judge anyone, merely to argue that people should differentiate themselves. I do not know what your first two questions are referring to, sorry.
There are many reasons why someone would go on a gap year I suppose. It's not just black and white.

Some people just don't feel ready for Uni at that moment in time. Not sure what they want to do with their lives so they'll travel around to "find themselves" which I do think is a bit stupid. The whole point of school and sixth form is for you to pinpoint what you want to do for a living. After having experienced around 15 different subjects in that time.

Others just want to earn money to better support themselves financially when Uni comes around so they don't have to beg their parents for money over and over again.
Reply 25
I think gap years can be personally fulfilling, and many people seem to enjoy them. Impressive to others though? I just think of it as a hobby not much different to any other (but obviously fairly expensive). Some people have something really interesting to say about their travels, some people have something really interesting to say about computers, or pets, or their sport.

It is only annoying when people talk about what have become fairly generic tourist experiences and expect others to be impressed at their worldliness/experiences/enlightenment/superiority relative to those who have actually being doing something not necessarily more, but just as worthwhile (work, studies, you name it). When in many cases all they have done is spent money on an interest which is actually very popular. Not a bad thing to do, but not especially impressive.

Then again many/most people I know who have done a gap year/travelling aren't superior about it, they just like to talk about their experiences, which are often interesting. Basically, it's fine just don't get all pretentious about it.
Reply 26
I am not attempting to judge anyone, merely to argue that people should differentiate themselves. I do not know what your first two questions are referring to, sorry.

I'd say that my time in Australia has differentiated me plenty, despite loads of other students going there. Each one will have their own stories to tell and experienced it differently, doesn't mean they're being sheep.
Reply 27
Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~
Many people just want a year off education where they can live in a different environment. I don't know why you have singled out Australia and Thailand as i know many people taking a Gap year who are not even going to those countries. Even so, just because someone goes to a place like Australia, doesn't mean it cannot be character building. Yes Australia is not very different from the UK, but the person would still be a stanger in a completely new surrounding and environment. They may even participate in a work scheme or charity group. All of these reasons, plus the obvious one of getting some independence can be seen as a way of "building-character" :smile:

I am not attacking people who go abroad per se. I am attacking people who go to the usual places (as referred to throughout this thread). I like your response but I do not think you are grasping my precise argument. It is a specific niche I am targeting.
Reply 28
I have just been lucky as I have had a few jobs/study abroad opportunities, and every time I have one I make sure it is in a region I have never been to, so as I can go to a fair few countries in the target region.

This sounds nice and I like this. Though I take issue with the latter activity - Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia are not that war torn and if you have been there, then you should have the respect to portray those states in a balanced light.

I have been to all three yes. The locals are still struggling to come to terms with the war that only ended two decades ago. I also was at part the trial of Mrksic in the Hague in 2010 where survivors and friends of survivors of his wicked military tactics were struggling to come to terms with it still.
I'm on an unplanned gap year and i'm going travelling to, yes, South East Asia and Australia. I'm going there for several reasons, I will list a couple below.

1. I want to visit the road more travelled by. It's my first time travelling. I take comfort in the assurance that thousands of people visit these locations. There must be an appeal? And from my research, there is for me!

2. Budget. Unplanned gap year. I've worked my a*se off for 4 months to fund this trip. It's cheap over there! Making my money go further!

3. I'm fascinated by history and I know very little of South East Asia; the Khmer reign, the Vietnam War .. I hope to learn more of this! And see the effects first hand!

4. I'm starting somewhere. I want to visit 99 countries; I want to visit more! To see, to experience and to enjoy! Not quite as privileged as you though, m'dear :wink:

So I will enjoy my stereotypical backpacking trip. Maybe stereotypical to the rest of the world but the trip of a lifetime for me.
Reply 30
Original post by Harpoon
Pretty sure no one in the UK goes to work in a cucumber greenhouse farm at that time in 40 degree heats plus and finishes work at 1 to drive to the beach straight after :rolleyes:

Alas, thats not replicable in the UK; but the sheer number of people who do that is hilarity at its finest.

Original post by Bronco2012
I didn't do a gap year before uni, but for me there's no worse idea than leaving school, doing my 4 years of uni, graduating, going straight into a graduate office job and then spending 45 years in the office 9-5.

i want to explore a bit while I'm young.

but that's just me.

Explore, but explore something worth exploring I implore you.

Original post by ss_s95
This made me chuckle (couldn't give +rep, reached my limit :angry::angry:) - but yeah I mean it depends on what you want to achieve at the end of the day, and if people want to relax - so be it!

But OP, to say gap years in general are useless - that's just completely ignorant. People do amazing things during gap years!

Didn't say all gap years are such. Read again.
Original post by Drummerboy_123
There are many reasons why someone would go on a gap year I suppose. It's not just black and white.

Some people just don't feel ready for Uni at that moment in time. Not sure what they want to do with their lives so they'll travel around to "find themselves" which I do think is a bit stupid. The whole point of school and sixth form is for you to pinpoint what you want to do for a living. After having experienced around 15 different subjects in that time.

Others just want to earn money to better support themselves financially when Uni comes around so they don't have to beg their parents for money over and over again.

Good post, balanced.

Original post by Pigling
I think gap years can be personally fulfilling, and many people seem to enjoy them. Impressive to others though? I just think of it as a hobby not much different to any other (but obviously fairly expensive). Some people have something really interesting to say about their travels, some people have something really interesting to say about computers, or pets, or their sport.

It is only annoying when people talk about what have become fairly generic tourist experiences and expect others to be impressed at their worldliness/experiences/enlightenment/superiority relative to those who have actually being doing something not necessarily more, but just as worthwhile (work, studies, you name it). When in many cases all they have done is spent money on an interest which is actually very popular. Not a bad thing to do, but not especially impressive.

Then again many/most people I know who have done a gap year/travelling aren't superior about it, they just like to talk about their experiences, which are often interesting. Basically, it's fine just don't get all pretentious about it.

Your paragraph about when people talk about generic experiences is exactly what I have been describing hitherto.

Original post by Harpoon
I'd say that my time in Australia has differentiated me plenty, despite loads of other students going there. Each one will have their own stories to tell and experienced it differently, doesn't mean they're being sheep.

I am yet to hear a truly unique anecdote from Australia.
Reply 31
Sorry to crush your apparently huge ego but your pomposity is much more childish than travelling to the local park, let alone a remarkable place such as Australia.

Why start a discussion purely to boast about your own experience? To the vast majority of people on this website, Australia would be an amazing place to visit and I personally am jealous of those who have been!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
I am yet to hear a truly unique anecdote from Australia.

Why does it need to be truly unique? Pretty sure whatever you've done is not unique, doubt anything is nowadays? But helping to clear up after the Brisbane Floods? Anyway, since the whole purpose of this thread is to have a dig at people like me I'm guessing go ahead! I don't regret my gap year one bit, don't regret my choice of country, my activities, whatever else. Would do it all over again and would recommend it to everyone else, whatever you like, I would say it's a perfectly good thing to do.
Reply 33
Original post by ANB1993
I have been to all three yes. The locals are still struggling to come to terms with the war that only ended two decades ago. I also was at part the trial of Mrksic in the Hague in 2010 where survivors and friends of survivors of his wicked military tactics were struggling to come to terms with it still.

Yes - but to merely portray it as "war-torn" gives a frightful impression of the state of things. Though I am pleased you have done something you clearly enjoyed.

Original post by EllaBella<3
I'm on an unplanned gap year and i'm going travelling to, yes, South East Asia and Australia. I'm going there for several reasons, I will list a couple below.

1. I want to visit the road more travelled by. It's my first time travelling. I take comfort in the assurance that thousands of people visit these locations. There must be an appeal? And from my research, there is for me!

2. Budget. Unplanned gap year. I've worked my a*se off for 4 months to fund this trip. It's cheap over there! Making my money go further!

3. I'm fascinated by history and I know very little of South East Asia; the Khmer reign, the Vietnam War .. I hope to learn more of this! And see the effects first hand!

4. I'm starting somewhere. I want to visit 99 countries; I want to visit more! To see, to experience and to enjoy! Not quite as privileged as you though, m'dear :wink:

So I will enjoy my stereotypical backpacking trip. Maybe stereotypical to the rest of the world but the trip of a lifetime for me.

Your honest about everything and that is all I wish from the others. I hope you will have a great time and be inspired to tackle other such projects. Best of luck!

Like I said, I take issue with the dull characters who say things such as "ohh you will never guess what happened in Australia/Thailand [...] And now I am totally different and my perspectives are so different !!!!"
Reply 34
Why is conforming so frowned upon these days?

I'm thinking of working as a chalet host in the Alps or Dolomites (haven't decided) enabling me to go skiing every day. I guess that's pretty typical and I, frankly, don't care.
(edited 11 years ago)
Agree. There's so much culture and so many incredible sights and experiences our world has to offer, I truly can't fathom how anyone can think going to Australia can help you gain perspective or make you a well-rounded person. I can't wait to do some ACTUAL travelling someday.
Reply 36
Original post by caaaaaath
Sorry to crush your apparently huge ego but your pomposity is much more childish than travelling to the local park, let alone a remarkable place such as Australia.

Why start a discussion purely to boast about your own experience? To the vast majority of people on this website, Australia would be an amazing place to visit and I personally am jealous of those who have been!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now where exactly did I initiate a conversation about my own experiences? I specifically wanted to keep my own experiences out of this.

I have repeated this ad nauseum, I am discussing a specific niche of people. I hope you will get an opportunity to travel.

Original post by Harpoon
Why does it need to be truly unique? Pretty sure whatever you've done is not unique, doubt anything is nowadays? But helping to clear up after the Brisbane Floods? Anyway, since the whole purpose of this thread is to have a dig at people like me I'm guessing go ahead! I don't regret my gap year one bit, don't regret my choice of country, my activities, whatever else. Would do it all over again and would recommend it to everyone else, whatever you like, I would say it's a perfectly good thing to do.

The quantity of students/grads etc. who go on about their "life-changing experiences" is immense; anyone at uni who has not experienced such characters must have been hiding in a hole during their degree.
Reply 37
whilst i'll grant you that the standard route of Thailand, Australia and New Zealand has become somewhat of a cliche so what? Its not every day you go to, quite litterally, the furthest away places imaginable now is it? I fail to seethe problem with it... theyre great countries with great cultures [ill impolitelyexclude thailand from this as we all know exactly why peoplego there] and more over its easy to fund since the WHV is easy to get for you lot over there.
I find it hard to imagine your bog standard gappys who are what 19-22 or so immediately jumping at the idea to travel to countries like namibia, madagascar, Iran etc. etc. can you?
The fact youve almost certainly not travelled anywhere outside of Europe gives you little right to slate other peoples traveling plans.
Although i must say i do find this whole clap trap about it 'changing you' and making one a 'better person' absolute tosh.
Reply 38
The quantity of students/grads etc. who go on about their "life-changing experiences" is immense; anyone at uni who has not experienced such characters must have been hiding in a hole during their degree.

I'd say Australia did change my life. I know that if I hadn't gone to Australia, I wouldn't have been as prepared as I was for University, for being away from my parents for several months, for learning to survive by myself, making new friends, visiting new places etc
Reply 39
Original post by -aTOMic-
Why is conforming so frowned upon these days?

I'm thinking of working as a chalet host in the Alps or Dolomites (haven't decided) enabling me to go skiing every day. I guess that's pretty typical and I, frankly, don't care.

That sounds pretty interesting.

Original post by Kateislate
Agree. There's so much culture and so many incredible sights and experiences our world has to offer, I truly can't fathom how anyone can think going to Australia can help you gain perspective or make you a well-rounded person. I can't wait to do some ACTUAL travelling someday.

Thank god/your parents for you Kate. You have summed up everything I have been trying to say in a far more concise way than I can. Thank you.

Where do you want to go? I hope you can do it!

Quick Reply

Latest