The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You just get fined and your Oyster will be returned to you eventually. Sometimes they don't even fine you, believe it or not. Only about a £20 fine.
Reply 21
Original post by yellowcopter
You just get fined and your Oyster will be returned to you eventually. Sometimes they don't even fine you, believe it or not. Only about a £20 fine.

Thank you sooo much for replying.. i hope that this is what happens.. i read lots of threads on google and all claims to have gone though court summons and paid 150-300 fine. :/
Reply 22
Original post by c.vine
tis is the first time we've done it. its just that my brother didn't have enough money to buy a day bus pass and my mum wasn't at home.

LOL.

He sure isn't going to try it again. First time doing it, first time caught. All in the same day.

Was he confessing aloud on the bus?! :confused:
Reply 23
Original post by c.vine
Hi, first off i know that what me and my brother did was wrong and i'm not gonna try and make any excuses to make us look better.

yesterday, my brother borrowed my oyster card as he didn't have enough money to pay for a bus pass and i weren't planning on going out.

on his way home, he got caught by an inspector and confiscated my oyster card. the inspector took his details - name, address etc. and said he should get a letter within 10 working days. The inspector also gave him 2 piece of paper one is a "receipt for withdrawn document" and the other one just says " RTM Fare Payments and tickets issued without payment are not transferrable and must be retained for inspection. They remain the property of TFL and must be surrendered on demand to an authorised agent of TFL. TFL enforcement team will be in contact with you within 10 working days...."

My question are
- what will happen? would he go to jail?
- would he have to pay a penalty, if so how much?
- will i be able to apply for a new oyster card?

Please reply :frown: Many thanks

People get 3.5 years for burning others alive in this country, get a life, you can do pretty much anything you want to with minimal, if any, consequences.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by c.vine
Thank you sooo much for replying.. i hope that this is what happens.. i read lots of threads on google and all claims to have gone though court summons and paid 150-300 fine. :/

You're welcome haha. I have relatives working in TfL and most have said it's always a fine, but never anything too serious.

It always depends, sometimes they let you off and send you the pass back, sometimes they send you to court and fine you quite high.

You will never, ever get arrested or prosecuted however. :tongue:

Edit: Keep in mind if you pay the fine as soon as you get the letter, nothing will happen and it will be £20-£50. If you take too long you may have to go to court and then get a large fine such as £200.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
You're welcome haha. I have relatives working in TfL and most have said it's always a fine, but never anything too serious.

It always depends, sometimes they let you off and send you the pass back, sometimes they send you to court and fine you quite high.

You will never, ever get arrested or prosecuted however. :tongue:

Edit: Keep in mind if you pay the fine as soon as you get the letter, nothing will happen and it will be £20-£50. If you take too long you may have to go to court and then get a large fine such as £200.

Oh right. hopefully its just that then. i don't want my brother to get a criminal record or anything lol.. couldn't care less about my oyster card right now.

Thank you so so much.. you've no idea how that made me feel better. ahaa
Original post by c.vine
Oh right. hopefully its just that then. i don't want my brother to get a criminal record or anything lol.. couldn't care less about my oyster card right now.

Thank you so so much.. you've no idea how that made me feel better. ahaa

You're welcome and if you do end up having to pay the fine but also going to court, theres a chance it will go on your brothers criminal record. If you pay a fine but don't go to court, then your brothers criminal record will stay clean. :wink:
Reply 27
You're welcome and if you do end up having to pay the fine but also going to court, theres a chance it will go on your brothers criminal record. If you pay a fine but don't go to court, then your brothers criminal record will stay clean. :wink:

Thank you thank you!!! i guess we'll just have to wait for the letter now and see what it says.. thanks again, hope you have a good night
Reply 28
Original post by c.vine
Hi, first off i know that what me and my brother did was wrong and i'm not gonna try and make any excuses to make us look better.

yesterday, my brother borrowed my oyster card as he didn't have enough money to pay for a bus pass and i weren't planning on going out.

on his way home, he got caught by an inspector and confiscated my oyster card. the inspector took his details - name, address etc. and said he should get a letter within 10 working days. The inspector also gave him 2 piece of paper one is a "receipt for withdrawn document" and the other one just says " RTM Fare Payments and tickets issued without payment are not transferrable and must be retained for inspection. They remain the property of TFL and must be surrendered on demand to an authorised agent of TFL. TFL enforcement team will be in contact with you within 10 working days...."

My question are
- what will happen? would he go to jail?
- would he have to pay a penalty, if so how much?
- will i be able to apply for a new oyster card?

Please reply :frown: Many thanks

It happened to me last year. They confiscated the card and took my details. I was sent a letter giving me two options, going to court or paying a £60 fine. Obviously I paid the fine but you don't have that option if you're caught a second time. Safe to say I'll never try it again.
Reply 29
Well obviously your brother's been a bit of a muppet hasn't he - when you touch in with a 16+ Oyster it beeps once but it also says "Child" doesn't it? That's more than enough of a telltale sign.

Anyways, neither of you are getting locked up - just pay a fine and at most, you'd probably be denied another oyster card.
Reply 30
Original post by HRH2
It happened to me last year. They confiscated the card and took my details. I was sent a letter giving me two options, going to court or paying a £60 fine. Obviously I paid the fine but you don't have that option if you're caught a second time. Safe to say I'll never try it again.

Thank you soo much for replying!! If ever were given the same options, we'd most definitely go with paying the fine.. Did the card owner ever get their oyster card back?
Reply 31
Original post by midnightL
Dont be a ****ing retard, the guy was just worried.

I think its a £20 fine, usually on the spot, they will keep your details to see if you repeat the offence.

he werent asked to pay the penalty on the dot. They took my oyster card and asked for his name, contact number and address. :/
Reply 32
Original post by ss_s95
Well obviously your brother's been a bit of a muppet hasn't he - when you touch in with a 16+ Oyster it beeps once but it also says "Child" doesn't it? That's more than enough of a telltale sign.

Anyways, neither of you are getting locked up - just pay a fine and at most, you'd probably be denied another oyster card.

Thank you for replying.. Yeah we'll definitely go with just paying the fine.. Have to wait and see what the letter says.
Reply 33
Original post by c.vine
Thank you soo much for replying!! If ever were given the same options, we'd most definitely go with paying the fine.. Did the card owner ever get their oyster card back?

The card owner was my friend. No they don't give it back. He applied again. Just ask whoever's card you took to apply again. Its not like the application will get rejected or anything.
You're goin' to jail, Bart. Say goodbye to the wife and tater tots.

(Toy Story, for those who don't know)
Reply 35
Original post by c.vine
Thank you for replying.. Yeah we'll definitely go with just paying the fine.. Have to wait and see what the letter says.

Sure you'll be fine, lots of people get into trouble with TfL or national rail...good luck!
I hope you swing for this.
Firstly, I think it's a civil matter for avoiding a fare, not a criminal matter, ie the prosecution don't build a massive case so I don't think they'll be a criminal record in any case. I think criminal cases are for people who have done things which impact on others such as stealing from investors, murder, and all the other physical crimes, whereas using someone else's oyster is stealing, but from the state and in any case it would cost the government a lot to take you to court over £2. It's just like stealing sweets from a shop, it rarely ends up in court
Reply 38
Original post by Makebelieve15
Firstly, I think it's a civil matter for avoiding a fare, not a criminal matter, ie the prosecution don't build a massive case so I don't think they'll be a criminal record in any case. I think criminal cases are for people who have done things which impact on others such as stealing from investors, murder, and all the other physical crimes, whereas using someone else's oyster is stealing, but from the state and in any case it would cost the government a lot to take you to court over £2. It's just like stealing sweets from a shop, it rarely ends up in court

Exactly. It only ends up in court if you believe you're not in the red and feel that the situation is unfair - going to court gives you the chance to make an appeal/complaint against TfL. But of course, you're aware that what you and your brother did was wrong - so there's no need for court.

Just speaking in general here - if you take it further to court and you've not got enough evidence to suggest that you're not at fault for anything, then I suppose you'd be asked to pay not only the fine, but also TfL's legal fees and court proceeding fees
Original post by ss_s95
Exactly. It only ends up in court if you believe you're not in the red and feel that the situation is unfair - going to court gives you the chance to make an appeal/complaint against TfL. But of course, you're aware that what you and your brother did was wrong - so there's no need for court.

Just speaking in general here - if you take it further to court and you've not got enough evidence to suggest that you're not at fault for anything, then I suppose you'd be asked to pay not only the fine, but also TfL's legal fees and court proceeding fees

The above is true, loser always pays out, that's why when two wealthy people go to court, it makes interesting reading as the losing one pays out a lot in legal fees and court costs.

Providing it's his first offence on the TfL network, it would be extremely unlikely for anything other than a small fine and a temporary suspension of the 16+ oyster card to come of it. I think the big fines and court cases are for persistent fare evaders rather than the one off. It also becomes big if you refuse to pay the fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending