The Student Room Group

Is Britain a superpower?

Is the UK a superpower?

It seems the answer is no, no?

However, there is the legacy of it being a former superpower, wouldn't you say? For example, use of its legal system structure in various former colonies and the widespread use of English - to the extent that it is apparently the "international" language and most widely used/understood; although various languages like Mandarin Chinese is popular.

So, following the fall of the British Empire, is Britain nearing the shadows? Some of its former colonies or territories or areas where it had "influence" are succeeding very well, even more so than modern-day Britain itself - for example, of course, the United States, and then there's China and then there's India (whose economy grew massively last year, whilst ours grew by 0.000000x%) and Hong Kong etc etc

I particularly ask this question as I recently read the "Why is Britain leading the EU" thread in this forum and indeed, why isn't Britain leading Europe, when Germany is, which managed to advance successfully, even after a war where it suffered terribly towards the end and had to pay great reparations.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A great power yes. A superpower definitively not
nah.
Cba to write out a mini thesis on this now, but I will just say that, regrettably, the UK is not.

The legacy of the Empire is possibly the most influential 'thing' of the world. Industrialisation, locomotion, urbanisation, language, and countless other facets. Of course this means something - but in reality not a lot now.
Reply 4
The Suez Crisis is what finally did it. The UK is able to through the EU.

The whole Internal Market which includes competition etc were British ideas which the EU adopted to keep the UK happy back in the 1980s. Eurosceptics fail to realise that their precious Margaret Thatcher singed the Single European Act which put these ideas into EU Law.

We have nukes and a place on the UNSC.
(edited 11 years ago)
Almost 50% of whole the planet knows English speech , so u as a small island in the year 1700, did pretty well !!
Reply 6
We're a major power on the world stage, but superpower is a term reserved for the nations at a point in time who outclass everyone else bar maybe 1 or two others completely. Right now, that's only the USA, give China and India a few years and then maybe, but us? Nope.
Original post by edwinemanuelposse
almost 50% of whole the planet knows english speech , so u as a small island in the year 1700, did pretty well !!

thank you we did ourselves
Reply 8
You've answered a large part of the question yourself. The British Empire was a huge superpower. Now we are more vulnerable and can't be classed as a superpower.

Can i just add potential superpowers: you've missed out Russia. After the collapse of communism they went into massive poverty but due to their rich resources of natural gas and oil they have managed to turn themselves into a serious economic power.
We have a seat at the top table in the world, but we're not a superpower.
Original post by Hunter_scfc
You've answered a large part of the question yourself. The British Empire was a huge superpower. Now we are more vulnerable and can't be classed as a superpower.

Can i just add potential superpowers: you've missed out Russia. After the collapse of communism they went into massive poverty but due to their rich resources of natural gas and oil they have managed to turn themselves into a serious economic power.

Russia is absolutely not a serious economic power
As one of the BRICS Russia is certainly powerful.
Original post by St. Brynjar

Yes all-hail the great talking shop that is the BRICS
Original post by jamesrobbo1
Russia is absolutely not a serious economic power

Expand? :smile:
Serious inequality i will give you that. I still see them as a economic strength mainly because of their natural resources.
The world is moving towards international co-operation, gone are the times of lone super powers.
Reply 15
Serious inequality i will give you that. I still see them as a economic strength mainly because of their natural resources.

That's a weakness not a strength. Their economy is propped up by high resource prices, when the prices drop so will Russia's economy.
Reply 16
The UK is and will continue to be a Great Power with significant global influence (culturally and economically, largely due to London) but nowhere near that of a superpower (the only current superpower being the US).

The UK isn't leading the EU because it can't even decide if it wants to be in the EU - if you choose to sit on the sidelines then you cannot expect to captain the team.
(edited 11 years ago)

This is a weakness, not a strength. Russia is though, a major military power - this is undeniable.

Original post by DaveSmith99
The world is moving towards international co-operation, gone are the times of lone super powers.

This made me chuckle - not to be condescending but this utterly idealist. Co-operation via a US-lead doctrine

Original post by St. Brynjar

I never "missed" out any potential superpowers, because I wasn't listing potential superpowers in general. The potential superpowers that I even listed were in context - i.e. those where Britain had a considerable influence, previously colonised.
Original post by jamesrobbo1

This made me chuckle - not to be condescending but this utterly idealist. Co-operation via a US-lead doctrine

You cannot pass over the fact that globalism is becoming all-pervading, no? Globalism is the new order of the day - this is why nationalism is looking pettier and pettier everyday and is losing importance.

If a state wants to follow the money and be successful, they must look to globalism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending