The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ComeWhatMay
Firstly, I disagree with your assumptions and generalisations about models.

Secondly, credit to you for actually having a decent response to my question; makes your previous comment marginally more acceptable.

Thirdly, "take academic interest in maths and economics" just makes you sound pretentious and full of yourself. The internship is an achievement on which I congratulate you, being interested in maths is not.

Your achievements may be impressive, but your attitude leaves much to be desired.

You do MEAN internship, rather than work experience, right? 'Cause they aren't QUITE the same thing...
Reply 81
Original post by ComeWhatMay
Firstly, I disagree with your assumptions and generalisations about models.

Secondly, credit to you for actually having a decent response to my question; makes your previous comment marginally more acceptable.

Thirdly, "take academic interest in maths and economics" just makes you sound pretentious and full of yourself. The internship is an achievement on which I congratulate you, being interested in maths is not.

Your achievements may be impressive, but your attitude leaves much to be desired.

Ok fair do's, everyone has different opinions

Great

But I do take interest in these exact subjects, what else can I say, I flew to the moon and back when I was 16? Was trying not to sound pretentious and just stating what I do

Alright, and yes an internship is like work experience pretty much, in a company doing what you'd normally be doing in a job, finding out how everything works etc, you get paid for it though, so its not just work exp
Reply 82
Original post by wildbluesun
I don't want to spam/disrupt anyone else's thread, but I've seen a couple threads like this, it seems to be a common thing that people do on the internet, and I just find it so incredibly dehumanising, rude, degrading, etc etc...

You know what I mean - where people look at someone and say "she is a 6" or "he is an 8.5" or whatever, and try to give people's appearance an objective rating.

I think it's awful, and every time I see it I cringe inside. Firstly, because reducing someone down to just their physical attributes is just so shallow. There's a lot more to everyone than just their appearance. How attractive someone is can be down to so many things - the way they move, the sound of their voice, the look they give you, the style of their clothes - and rating people from a few snapshots on the internet cannot encapsulate all of that. Also, because it's a number rating, and normally phrased like "(s)he is a [number]", it's phrased like this is the ONLY important thing about them. Not "I don't like her face but her body is beautiful" or anything like that. It's shrinking the entirety of a person's physical and mental attractiveness down to a single number, and that's not the way it works.

Secondly, because there can be no objective scale for beauty - eye of the beholder and all that - and this kind of conversation implies that there is some kind of proper scale out there with, I don't know, Helen of Troy at the top and a frog at the bottom and a whole lot of other reference points in between. That's not the way it is. Different people find different things attractive.

Thirdly, because it's just not a nice thing to do; imagine if you found a thread full of people on the internet arguing over your Facebook profile picture and trying to decide if you were a 6 or a 7. Unless you're far more self-confident than I am, it probably wouldn't feel very nice. There's a lot more to you than just your face, and there are very few circumstances out there where it would be appropriate to judge people entirely on their appearance.

IMO, the only time it makes sense is if you're actually trying to order people by physical attraction, like if you were trying to decide who to put on the cover of a new fashion magazine you're starting, or something. But how often is someone's appearance the only important thing about them? To look at a photograph of someone on the internet and go "I can reduce your entire personality and appearance down to a single number, and that number is FIVE" - or whatever number it is?

I really, really don't like it, and I think we should all stop.

End of ramble. Peace out. <3

I agree with you , I find out of my friends on facebook the people who get loads of likes on photos have obviously spent ages to take that one photo which defeats the point as this is a clear sign of vanity. The people who have profile pictures that actually have meaning with friends and family shows what their values are. (I hope this makes sense aha )
Reply 83
Just so you know you can't have 'objectively to their own desires' this doesn't work. Objective is factual and absolute the same in all circumstances whereas Subjective is based on personal opinions 'to their own desires'

OK?
Reply 84
slut/10
"I'm in a long term relationship. My boyfriend and I just had our fourth anniversary. But this is relationship is an open one; I've had lots of sexual partners, way more than the UK lifetime average, both men and women."

From her profile.
Yeah sure, if you're booking me as a model, judge me on my looks all you want. That's the point. Judging people on their physical attributes is fine *in some contexts*, but in most contexts it's not.

If it's a snap of me with my friends on Facebook, or if I've made a YouTube video talking about my experiences with mental illness...don't judge me on my appearance. It's not relevant to what I'm doing or trying to say.

It's irrelevant whether or not you think I'm good looking enough to model. I do, and I make £400/£500 a month out of it as a part time job. Which isn't enough to live on, but is enough to go crazy at the weekends, take my boyfriend out every so often, and still save for uni and a new laptop. Probably wouldn't want to do it as a full time thing though, there's a lot of travelling & admin & funny hours & early starts and so on.

Personally I think the images posted show me in a good light, but a lot of that is make up/posing/lighting (and very limited retouching contrary to what some people think - it's all in the pose), but I'm actually not stunningly good looking. I'm normally not the prettiest girl in the room, but I do know how to present myself to the camera so I look good; lots of gorgeous girls freeze up in front of the camera and just look really awkward.

I did feel the need to post them to make the point that you don't have to be stereotypically ugly to be irritated at this constant "hot or not" thing people do. Also, just saying "I work as a model" means FA, I know lots of girls who do a fantastic job bigging themselves up, when in reality their boyfriend has a camera and every so often they do a charity fashion show. Technically it's modelling, but it's just a hobby really; if you don't earn from it it's not a proper job. Saying "I am a model" is a pointless statement, you need evidence to back it up. Therefore...evidence.

But why is something okay in one context but not in another. If it's fine then it should be fine in all cases.

Huzzah someone on the internet agrees with me this never happens! And I agree if someone's asked to be rated then go ahead...haven't seen that happen very often though.

Models make their money out of their appearance, so judging them on their appearance when they're working is cool. It's not cool to write bitchy magazine articles about how they look when they're taking their kids to school. (AHEM Daily Mail.) Who cares if they don't look amazing on the school run? It's irrelevant to their competency as a parent. Whereas how they look on a shoot is HUGELY relevant to their ability to do their job.

Fair enough I agree that publicly slating people over looks isn't good, but because some people do it doesn't mean the whole system is wrong does it.

I think it's harmful because it's encouraging people to judge each other solely on sexual attractiveness, and that kind of judgement is quite harmful and also quite prevalent in society. I think we miss out on things because we're too busy talking about appearance...like music, it seems to be a requirement that musicians be sexy these days, but it's fecking MUSIC, you can be ugly as sin and make gorgeous music.

I wouldn't make that assumption, that you can tell a lot about someone from their appearance. Like some people are just prone to acne and no matter what they do to themselves will always have it, so acne doesn't necessarily mean they have a poor diet.

It's not encouraging anything. It's merely making physical attributes measurable. People already judge people on looks.

I think its point was "do you think all humans have equal amounts of intrinsic worth", rather than "do you think all humans are exactly the same in every way". REGARDLESS not really the point.

At least someone's niceness tells you something about them as a person. Someone who's nice presumably cares about other people, isn't self-absorbed, etc. Someone who's good looking pulled a lucky genetics card. That's it. That's all you know. It tells you as much about them as "they are 5 foot 8".

See, I think this manner of discussion does reduce people down to their looks, especially because you phrase it as "s/he is a [x]". Not "I would rate his/her looks as [x]". But "s/he IS a [x]". It's saying someone IS this, that this is what they are...a number. Feh, it makes me unhappy. I don't think the other perspectives on this thread are invalid, I can see the logic behind most of them, but I don't find those arguments particularly convincing in the main.

/very very long post

What. No... Saying 's/he is [x]' is merely a shortening of 'I would rate his/her looks as [X]'. No one is saying they ARE the number and that's all they are. They are saying their looks/attractive IS that number.

The rating out of 10 enables people to quantify ones attractiveness.
I.E in private conversation, one might describing a girl he may have met, for all you know he may have spent the last 30 minutes describing her personality, but now to get a clearer picture of said person he is asked to rate her physically attractiveness out of 10.
Reply 86
Original post by alexh42
slut/10
"I'm in a long term relationship. My boyfriend and I just had our fourth anniversary. But this is relationship is an open one; I've had lots of sexual partners, way more than the UK lifetime average, both men and women."

From her profile.

Oh no, I have consensual sexual contact with sane adults! I shall clearly burn in hell!

Seriously, are we not past shaming other people for their sex lives now? It's their life...leave it alone. If someone wants to stay celibate until marriage, AWESOME. If they want to sleep with a different person every night, EQUALLY AWESOME. It's your genitalia! Do what you want! Just stay safe!
Reply 87
Original post by MasterJomi
But why is something okay in one context but not in another. If it's fine then it should be fine in all cases.

-headdesk-

Different things are appropriate in different contexts. For instance you might swear in a conversation with your friends, but not necessarily when talking to your grandma. It might be okay to tell someone their drawing sucks in a critique session in an art class, but it's probably not okay if they've just shown it to you saying how proud they are of it and how much time they put into it. Walking up to your partner and kissing them on the lips is fine, walking up to a stranger and doing the same...not so much. It's okay to judge people on their physical attributes when they're applying for a job based on physical attributes; not so much when they're simply relating an experience on YouTube or Twitter or whatever.

Context is EVERYTHING.

Original post by anonymouspie227

I think it's disgusting if a person were to do it without permission. Completely....And, it can be a bit cruel to do, even if they are a celebrity. Likewise, so many amazing, incredible people are famous, do these people deserve to be rated, even with everything they've done. Does anybody deserve to be rated solely on their looks? However, it's all a bit of fun, and I'm sure nobody takes the stuff seriously/ means to be mean. So, i guess its not that big a deal.

It's less important for celebrities, I think because they must be aware that part of being in the public eye is being constantly judged on the stupidest, tiniest things...but I still think it's cruel. I'm not closely acquainted with any celebrities, but I do know a few very successful models - not famous ones, but they do travel the world earning a fair few bob and I think that's pretty successful personally. And even they have insecurities about their bodies...this girl:

511569cce06b3.jpg

Thinks her arms are fat.

This one:

4ed96b2da0b97.jpg

Worries about her bum being big.

And I'm like "but omg you guys are so beautiful and graceful and expressive I want to marry you I want to be you you're my idol iloveyou <3 <3 <3" (I fangirl over models I admire) - but everyone has insecurities. IDK, I just wish people were a bit thoughtful when they posted and took half a second to remember that the person in the image is a real person, and maybe they shouldn't rush to judge and rate. I know it'll probably never happen, but hey, nothing stopping me rambling about it on the interwebs.

And srsly one of the reference points for "is this girl hot" on TSR was a video of her talking about her experiences with mental illness. It's like...her appearance is completely irrelevant to what she's doing here, why are you judging her for her looks, just leave it alone.

And no it's not a massive deal, but I thought to myself "hey, should I pontificate on the internet, or should I do my chemistry notes", and thought the former sounded less painful.
Reply 88
(Long long rambley post sorry.)

Original post by sarahthegemini

Edit: Just read the entire thread. Op you lost all credibility when you started posting lingerie shots and bragging about being a model. Shameless attempt at ego boosting. You're pathetic.

I don't think it's bragging when it's just a thing. I am a model. That is my job. Big whoop. I know there's lots of...mythology? is that the right word? surrounding modelling, but at the end of the day it's just a job like any other. It has good bits and bad bits and I probably wouldn't do it if I didn't get paid.

(Okay half lie. I would probably still do the occasional shoot with people I like working with for fun every few months. But I wouldn't shoot once or twice a week the way I do now.)

Original post by Robbie242
16 years old but got an internship this summer with barclays and take academic interest in Mathematics and Economics, all modeling requires you to be born with good-looking/attractive features, so when they can't give education a go they turn to their body and face to make cash, quite skillful (sarcasm)

Also I am not stating education is be-all and end all, I respect singers even if they drop out of school who are talented, modeling however is different

Good luck with your internship!

But seriously, modelling is more than that. Firstly posing and emoting is harder than you might think (I discovered that very quickly when I started) - it's static acting and you have to be constantly aware of every single bit of your body; twist of the hip, hand shape, foot shape, alignment of your shoulders, angle of your head/neck, etc etc. And that's before you've even got to producing the appropriate emotion on your face.

And on top of that, pretty much all models are freelance, so you do your own advertising, networking, communicate directly with clients, negotiate pay and working conditions (no I will not stand in the snow in my pants for four hours for a tenner), plan your own travel (I travel up to three hours one way for a shoot), making sure you get to an unfamiliar location fully prepped and on time, and do your own tax/expenses. It's basically running a very very tiny business.

I don't just slope out of bed when I feel like it, show up holding a pair of heels and get moved into position by the photographer. There's a lot more to it than that. It's not a long term career, but it's a great student job, primarily because the flip side of the above is utter flexibility. I choose when I work. There aren't many student jobs where you can take 2 months off over exam time and still have a job when you come back.

Also it's not like I've flunked my education...I'm holding an offer from Cambridge FFS. (Natural Sciences)

Original post by Andaxay
Is it possible to die from overwhelming irony? The fact that the OP makes a wall of text about judging people on looks then posts pictures of herself in "model-mode"? But wait, not just pictures! Pictures in UNDERWEAR!

Either this is an exceptional troll fail, or the whole purpose of this thread was to display those photos. To show off or get attention, or what? No idea. I have to laugh at it, though. Huge part of me thinks she posted about rating people to draw in the swathes who no doubt agree, then BLAM! "Sexy" photos. There's a whole Internet out there for these kinds of photos, trying to scrape together some attention here is a bit pointless.

Is underwear a thing now? I think I know...one model who doesn't shoot underwear shots. Seriously what's so exciting about a bra and pair of pants?

Now, if it were the Victoria's Secret fantasy bra, that would be a different thing. (Never ever ever going to happen ever.)

Posted said photos because -
Original post by Ultimate1

Probably whale/10.

Original post by aporter11
youre obviously unsatisfied with the poor ratings you receive.. I reckon youre about a 2 or 3

And -
Original post by Mycroft Holmes
Thanks for the fap material! :borat: :dice:

P.S. 6/10 - Nice body, but your nose is ENORMOUS :biggrin:

Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Its probably already been said but

6/10 Would bang

People assume that complaining about a system means you're disadvantaged by the system. But even though I tend to get broadly positive ratings through this system, I still think it's bull.

Apparently it's backfired though. =/ Possibly not the most well-communicated point I've ever made. I forget that outside of model land, anything less than fully clothed is shocking.

TBH I really could not care less what random people on here think about me. I used to be really, really deeply insecure about my appearance. Now I'm much more rational about it - I have no physical health problems, my boyfriend fancies me, and I get work. Everything else is optional. Whether or not TSR thinks I'm attractive is neither here nor there.
(edited 11 years ago)
Would you prefer a different number? may I suggest 11 or 12? :curious:
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. :P I suck at sarcasm.

Anyway, you're probably a feminist.
http://www.areyouafeminist.com/

Oooo, I hate it when people think like this. That the only reason you could think a system or convention is unfair is because it disadvantages you, as opposed to seeing the inherent injustice in the system/convention.

When I'm not studying, I work as a model. I literally make a living being judged on my looks. And partially because being judged on my looks is a very important aspect of one part of my life, I'm come to realise how shallow and unfair that type of judgement is in other parts of my life.

Anyway, this is me.

mudita_aeron_iii_by_tansyblue-d55asmu.jpg

eoghan_brennan_ii_by_tansyblue-d4td0ci.jpg

michael_james_i_by_tansyblue-d4skzyp.jpg

Lingerie shots - possibly NSFW.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9jok7G4eb1rs5q1co1_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m18poxhCqn1rs5q1co1_1280.jpg

Reply 91
Original post by mathsman77
Would you prefer a different number? may I suggest 11 or 12? :curious:

HA
HA
HA

original

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Sure it was silly for OP to post pics but it doesn't mean her point is invalid. If she was asking people to rate her then yeah but she just pointlessly wanted to prove something to a few trolls.
>inb4 white knight bbforum kids
(Long long rambley post sorry.)

I don't think it's bragging when it's just a thing. I am a model. That is my job. Big whoop. I know there's lots of...mythology? is that the right word? surrounding modelling, but at the end of the day it's just a job like any other. It has good bits and bad bits and I probably wouldn't do it if I didn't get paid.

(Okay half lie. I would probably still do the occasional shoot with people I like working with for fun every few months. But I wouldn't shoot once or twice a week the way I do now.)

Good luck with your internship!

But seriously, modelling is more than that. Firstly posing and emoting is harder than you might think (I discovered that very quickly when I started) - it's static acting and you have to be constantly aware of every single bit of your body; twist of the hip, hand shape, foot shape, alignment of your shoulders, angle of your head/neck, etc etc. And that's before you've even got to producing the appropriate emotion on your face.

And on top of that, pretty much all models are freelance, so you do your own advertising, networking, communicate directly with clients, negotiate pay and working conditions (no I will not stand in the snow in my pants for four hours for a tenner), plan your own travel (I travel up to three hours one way for a shoot), making sure you get to an unfamiliar location fully prepped and on time, and do your own tax/expenses. It's basically running a very very tiny business.

I don't just slope out of bed when I feel like it, show up holding a pair of heels and get moved into position by the photographer. There's a lot more to it than that. It's not a long term career, but it's a great student job, primarily because the flip side of the above is utter flexibility. I choose when I work. There aren't many student jobs where you can take 2 months off over exam time and still have a job when you come back.

Also it's not like I've flunked my education...I'm holding an offer from Cambridge FFS. (Natural Sciences)

Is underwear a thing now? I think I know...one model who doesn't shoot underwear shots. Seriously what's so exciting about a bra and pair of pants?

Now, if it were the Victoria's Secret fantasy bra, that would be a different thing. (Never ever ever going to happen ever.)

Posted said photos because -

And -

People assume that complaining about a system means you're disadvantaged by the system. But even though I tend to get broadly positive ratings through this system, I still think it's bull.

Apparently it's backfired though. =/ Possibly not the most well-communicated point I've ever made. I forget that outside of model land, anything less than fully clothed is shocking.

TBH I really could not care less what random people on here think about me. I used to be really, really deeply insecure about my appearance. Now I'm much more rational about it - I have no physical health problems, my boyfriend fancies me, and I get work. Everything else is optional. Whether or not TSR thinks I'm attractive is neither here nor there.

You're full of ****. If you genuinely didn't care what tsr thinks of you, then you never would have felt the need to post your underwear photos to prove a point (that you're not a whale) Get over yourself :rolleyes:
-headdesk-

Different things are appropriate in different contexts. For instance you might swear in a conversation with your friends, but not necessarily when talking to your grandma. It might be okay to tell someone their drawing sucks in a critique session in an art class, but it's probably not okay if they've just shown it to you saying how proud they are of it and how much time they put into it. Walking up to your partner and kissing them on the lips is fine, walking up to a stranger and doing the same...not so much. It's okay to judge people on their physical attributes when they're applying for a job based on physical attributes; not so much when they're simply relating an experience on YouTube or Twitter or whatever.

Context is EVERYTHING.

Fair.

But you're saying the system should ONLY be used if you're working in the industry.

If I'm having a private conversation with a friend then how is it inappropriate in that context to rate someone's looks?

Also, if a model has put images on the internet, they've put up those pictures for people to see. In which case it's perfectly fine to rate them. Like you did earlier. You can't put them up and expect people not to rate you.
Reply 95

Anyway, this is me.

No thanks, Jeff.

I'm not even gay but I'd rather have a nice long wiener in my mouth.
No thanks, Jeff.

Choosing a man's dick over a fairly attractive young female would make you gay, sorry to have to tell you that, sir.
No thanks, Jeff.

You've said this like 3 times in the space of a few hours.
Reply 98
All I took away from this thread is the fact that OP has naked pictures of herself on Tumblr. I didn't even mean to learn that... but reverse Google image search is a thing.

Anyway, your first post's full of fair points and is mostly agreeable but where I feel you've gone wrong is it sounds like you're assuming that people who rates others 'out of ten' are boiling all of their characteristics to a single digit. That's not usually what's happening at all. It's usually just a purely shallow aesthetic judgement, and the reason I've found me and my mates judging looks in the past is because it's pretty interesting how different our numbers can be. It's more about comparing attractions than anything.
Not looking too deep into it all.... I thoroughly enjoyed the Tansy Blue pics on Purestorm

Latest