The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by Krish4791
No, he won in 2005 (when it was Indoor Hard) and then in 2010 on red clay. Andy Murray won in 2008 on the Hard Court surface.
I think (and hope) Rafa faces Ferrer in QFs. Then he may meet Murray in the semis and leave Federer to battle Djokovic for the right to face him in the final.

No Nadal won 4 masters 1000 titles in 2005 monte carlo,rome,canada,shangai.
He never won madrid in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Nadal_career_statistics
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ubi1

That "Shanghai" you speak of was not Shanghai in those days, it was the Mutua Madrilena Madrid Masters which used to be held in October. Shanghai was the same as the ATP World Tour Finals today (that's where it was held), which David Nalbandian won, coming back from 2 sets down in the final to shock Roger Federer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Mutua_Madrile%C3%B1a_Masters_Madrid_%E2%80%93_Singles

In fact, the link that you posted also has this information,
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ubi1

Shanghai wasn't a Masters Series tournament in 2005. For the purposes of records on things like Wikipedia, Shanghai is considered an extension of the indoor Madrid tournament which Nadal won in 2005 and the current incarnation of Madrid is considered an extension of Hamburg which he won in 2008.
Reply 663
Original post by TheMagicRat
Shanghai wasn't a Masters Series tournament in 2005. For the purposes of records on things like Wikipedia, Shanghai is considered an extension of the indoor Madrid tournament which Nadal won in 2005 and the current incarnation of Madrid is considered an extension of Hamburg which he won in 2008.

Ohhh:redface:
Reply 664
Original post by Krish4791
That "Shanghai" you speak of was not Shanghai in those days, it was the Mutua Madrilena Madrid Masters which used to be held in October. Shanghai was the same as the ATP World Tour Finals today (that's where it was held), which David Nalbandian won, coming back from 2 sets down in the final to shock Roger Federer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Mutua_Madrile%C3%B1a_Masters_Madrid_%E2%80%93_Singles

In fact, the link that you posted also has this information,

Yes Forget the clay season for now am going to predict the entire season
if nadal gets in 2010 form then he will be year end no1 but if he doesnt then no.2
Looking forward to the return of Rafa in the Grandslams- if he gets in fighting form then I think he'll definitely win RG- I still think he has the edge against Murray- would be great to see another Nadal, Federer final at wimbledon. Have they scrapped the blue clay?
Reply 666
Original post by ubi1
Yes Forget the clay season for now am going to predict the entire season
if nadal gets in 2010 form then he will be year end no1 but if he doesnt then no.2

Forget? Clay Season hasn't even started yet and you're worrying about Year end rankings...slow down, let's just get through the clay season first:redface:, it may not even go in the way we both hope, Rafa could lose somewhere (most likely Madrid) and the 'top 4' are going to be real threats for sure. I'm nervous just thinking about it :afraid:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 667
Original post by Alkain1607
Looking forward to the return of Rafa in the Grandslams- if he gets in fighting form then I think he'll definitely win RG- I still think he has the edge against Murray- would be great to see another Nadal, Federer final at wimbledon. Have they scrapped the blue clay?

Blue Clay is definitely gone.
Reply 668
Anyone watched the Williams Sisters' new movie?
Reply 669
Why isn't hawkeye used on clay courts? Is it literally not compatible with the surface or something?
Reply 670
Original post by aja89
Why isn't hawkeye used on clay courts? Is it literally not compatible with the surface or something?

My understanding is that they have it set up as they use it on TV replays. I guess that you can distinctly see ball marks so they deem it unnecessary.
Original post by ubi1
The chances of a backfire are 2% since Nadals percentage at RG 98% however worst case scenario he will lose 2000 points if an upset did happen which is very very unlikely.

Trying to solely use past records to justify the probability of Nadal winning the match even before the start of the tournament is a bit unreliable. I mean last year US open Federer had a 100% record in winning night matches but you would not have said that it is 100% that Federer will beat Berdych.

That is the beauty if tennis every match is unique, has different dynamics and upsets or people breaking a losing streak can always happen:smile:

It is unlikely but you do have to pay homage to Djokovic who did do well on clay against Nadal in 2011 clay tournaments and played a tight final against him in 2012 at RG. Add to that the fact Nadal is coming back from a long injury etc meaning that yes Djokovic winning is unlikely but not as unlikely as you think . I would say Nadal has a 70% chance of winning. But the beauty of tennis and especially with the Big 4 is that anything can happen.:biggrin:

Also I would have thought as a Nadal fan you would want him to have the easiest draw possible and be in Ferrers' quarter?:wink:
Original post by Rakas21
Random my behind!

Since they can't guarantee a Fedal final with Nadal potentially going through three of them, we will see a Fedal QF and i would put money on that occurance right now!

Yh I do see your point they know how attention grabbing a Fedal match is and I got very suspicious when in 2011 Murray was in Nadals half for I think 3 straight grand slams. But I don't have enough proof to say that it is fixed although there is a good likelihood it is so just trusting the ATP on this one:confused:

I would love if tomorrow the headlines on the paper are ' tennis draws fixed':tongue:
Original post by aja89

I think it's use is redundant on clay because most of the time you can clearly see the mark.
Reply 674
Original post by Natty.B
Forget? Clay Season hasn't even started yet and you're worrying about Year end rankings...slow down, let's just get through the clay season first:redface:, it may not even go in the way we both hope, Rafa could lose somewhere (most likely Madrid) and the 'top 4' are going to be real threats for sure. I'm nervous just thinking about it :afraid:

Rafa doesnt have much points to defend at madrid.
Reply 675
Original post by Natty.B
Blue Clay is definitely gone.

Please rate some other members before rating this member again.:smile:
Reply 676
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
Trying to solely use past records to justify the probability of Nadal winning the match even before the start of the tournament is a bit unreliable. I mean last year US open Federer had a 100% record in winning night matches but you would not have said that it is 100% that Federer will beat Berdych.

That is the beauty if tennis every match is unique, has different dynamics and upsets or people breaking a losing streak can always happen:smile:

It is unlikely but you do have to pay homage to Djokovic who did do well on clay against Nadal in 2011 clay tournaments and played a tight final against him in 2012 at RG. Add to that the fact Nadal is coming back from a long injury etc meaning that yes Djokovic winning is unlikely but not as unlikely as you think . I would say Nadal has a 70% chance of winning. But the beauty of tennis and especially with the Big 4 is that anything can happen.:biggrin:

Also I would have thought as a Nadal fan you would want him to have the easiest draw possible and be in Ferrers' quarter?:wink:

Berdych has beaten federer couple of times thats given him the belief to do it again. And as for me Nadal is still unbeaten forget 2009 RG it doesnt exist for me.Also you raised a great point if am a nadal fan why would i want a hard draw instead of easy its simple rafa owns the tournament. Secondly knocking of djoker in quarters will deduct 1200 runners up points from djokers ranking points?murray or ferrer in the semis or ferror/murray in the quarters federer/djokers in the semis theres no saying who rafa will face in the final there are 4 contenders for that are federer,ferrer,delpo,djokoker but i feel if delpo is on form he can be a threat if not he be knocked out in no time.

is this possible?
nadal vs djoker in quarters
or nadal vs ferrer in quarters and djoker in the semis
nadal vs federer in the final
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ubi1
Rafa doesnt have much points to defend at madrid.

Yeah but if he gets knocked out the next round he'll have hardly gained anything.

Year end rankings are built on year round consistency, and Rafa has been hurt by skipping the Australian Open. I don't know the maths but I would say it is highly unlikely that he regains the no.1 ranking at any point this year; Djokovic and Murray are the frontrunners for that. Rafa has a lot to defend on the clay, and even if he does retain Roland Garros he has to have a strong Wimbledon (always has a strong chance of winning) and a much better autumn/winter hard court swing than he usually has. And it is very likely Rafa will skip at least one of the Masters tournaments in the post Grand slam stretch.
Reply 678
Original post by Sirocco11
Yeah but if he gets knocked out the next round he'll have hardly gained anything.

Year end rankings are built on year round consistency, and Rafa has been hurt by skipping the Australian Open. I don't know the maths but I would say it is highly unlikely that he regains the no.1 ranking at any point this year; Djokovic and Murray are the frontrunners for that. Rafa has a lot to defend on the clay, and even if he does retain Roland Garros he has to have a strong Wimbledon (always has a strong chance of winning) and a much better autumn/winter hard court swing than he usually has. And it is very likely Rafa will skip at least one of the Masters tournaments in the post Grand slam stretch.

obviously nadals playing the full clay season which is MC,Barca,Madrid,Rome,RG
depending on if he wins Madrid then he gains ranking points,
after the clay season he has the gerry weber open which is 250 series so forget that. Then we have Wimbldeon if rafa can get to the final or even win against murray,delpo,djokor, then he will become world no.3 federer loses a heck of a lot of points if he doesnt win Wimbledon this year, since you get 2000 points for wining a slam, l think murray will edge past him this time if they meet.
after that nadals playing 2 hard court masters 1000 tournaments before the us open then japan 500 then another 2 hard court masters 1000 tournaments and then barclays world tour finals. So altogether theres a heck of a lot of points to gain obviously at wimbledon he will be number 5 seed but after wimbledon depending on the outcome he has the chance to to world no3 after us open murray wont stand a chance at staying world No.2.
ive done the maths nadal has to defend 90 points at madrid
THE CURRENT RANKINGS ARE :
djoker:12370 points
murray:8750 points
federer:8670
ferrer:7050
KING:6385

IF HE WINS MADRID THEN he becomes world no.4 with 7300points where as federer will lose 1000 points for not winning? then comes wimbledon if roger doesnt win he wil be world no.4 and nadal will be most likely no.3 and then after the 2 hard court masters there will be no huge gap between murray and nadal and then rafa will gain hugely at us open and take the no.2 crown and then 2 more masters and the barclays world tour finals where he can gainly immensely.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 679
Ferrer got to the QF in Madrid last year and he could get to the semis or even a final if the draw goes right for him. Federer wont lose 1000 points unless he withdraws. This all depends on Nadal actually lasting again this year and not burning out after the clay court season.

Latest