The Student Room Group

Should each continent have a capital country?

Just a random, unfeasible thought. In the sense of geopolitics, should each inhabited continent have a capital country just like each country has a capital city? And if so which countries would be the capitals?

For Europe It'd probably have to be Belgium or Germany, although the UK could be a shout for it's influence on culture and language.

The Asian capital would be interesting - presumably China, Japan or India.

The North Americans would be hard-pressed to suppress the USA.

Ditto for Oceania and Australia.

Presumably for South America it'd be Brazil.

That leaves Africa.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
But....why?
Original post by piya21
But....why?

This
Reply 3
For fun of course.
It'd probably cause a lot of conflict and tension as the 'capital country' would see itself as more superior to the others because of its 'superior' status
I will play your little game, but with a twist.

Europe: London
N. America: New York
Africa: Johannesburg
Asia: Shanghai
Australasia: Sydney
South America: Sao Paulo
Reply 6
Original post by jamesrobbo1
I will play your little game, but with a twist.

Asia: Shanghai

Agree with all of your others, but why Shanghai and not, for argument's sake, Mumbai or Tokyo?
Didnt think you would call me out on this - cba write up in long format why, but Ill keep it simple:

Tokyo is all well and good but has been stagnating for a LONG TIME. Shanghai is home to the shanghai coop counc, epicentre of chinese commerce as well.

Mumbai isnt quite on par commercially and influentially as Tokyo/Shanghai...
Reply 8
If there was capital countries my guesses are pretty much they same as yours.
Europe - Germany/UK
North America -USA
South America- Brazil
Australasia - Australia
Africa - (not entirely sure on this one) South Africa?? :s-smilie:
Asia - China
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by St. Brynjar
Just a random, unfeasible thought. In the sense of geopolitics, should each inhabited continent have a capital country just like each country has a capital city? And if so which countries would be the capitals?

For Europe It'd probably have to be Belgium or Germany, although the UK could be a shout for it's influence on culture and language.

The Asian capital would be interesting - presumably China, Japan or India.

The North Americans would be hard-pressed to suppress the USA.

Ditto for Oceania and Australia.

Presumably for South America it'd be Brazil.

That leaves Africa.

Thoughts?

Why did you leave Africa? :holmes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
For fun of course.

Haha, it would be the total opposite! The issue with this idea is that:

a) Continents are much less culturally unified than even the most diverse, balkanised, countries -so choosing one country to represent, never mind "lead" the rest of the country is a nightmare. Morocco and Zimbabwe are in the same continent, but have very little in common.

b) Countries within the same continent have totally different allies and political views. The whole point of the EU at the moment is to make sure Europe is all on the same page economically and politically, to avoid a WW3. In order to do this with every continent, you'd have to solve the Israel/Palestine conflict, get North and South Korea back on speaking terms, and soooo much more!

But if you were going to do it, couldn't you have a rotating scheme so each country gets a turn every year? May avoid hurt feelings and such...
Reply 11
Original post by piya21
Haha, it would be the total opposite! The issue with this idea is that:

a) Continents are much less culturally unified than even the most diverse, balkanised, countries -so choosing one country to represent, never mind "lead" the rest of the country is a nightmare. Morocco and Zimbabwe are in the same continent, but have very little in common.

b) Countries within the same continent have totally different allies and political views. The whole point of the EU at the moment is to make sure Europe is all on the same page economically and politically, to avoid a WW3. In order to do this with every continent, you'd have to solve the Israel/Palestine conflict, get North and South Korea back on speaking terms, and soooo much more!

But if you were going to do it, couldn't you have a rotating scheme so each country gets a turn every year? May avoid hurt feelings and such...

Like I say it's all for fun, it's obviously never going to happen.

Although on your Morocco/Zimbabwe post, couldn't the same be said for Yakustk and St. Petersburg?

But yes I do agree.
Reply 12

Although on your Morocco/Zimbabwe post, couldn't the same be said for Yakustk and St. Petersburg?

True..I have no defense for that point, haha...
Reply 13
First you'd have to get everyone to agree on what the continents are.

In some countries they consider Europe and Asia to be the same continent. In some countries (particularly latin American ones) they consider America to be one continent rather than two. So Russia could argue they should be the capital of Eurasia.
Agree with all of your others, but why Shanghai and not, for argument's sake, Mumbai or Tokyo?

I agree you think this claim is arguable - but there are a bunch of better examples than Mumbai...e.g. HK, Singapore, etc

I can't see any Indian influence in East Asia... However, HK/Shanghai/Singapore/Tokyo all have a significant global connection, more active economic activities, and especially much lower raping rate...
Reply 15
I fail to see why Belgium of all places would get capital city status? If anything it would be between Berlin and London..maybe paris.

Since australia is a continent in its own right it would have to be Canberra but what of the other nations around it? Wellington i highly doubt would like to bend to the Aussies will nor the Fijians, Samoans etc. as for Africa well that would be fun...
Reply 16
Original post by cl_steele
I fail to see why Belgium of all places would get capital city status? If anything it would be between Berlin and London..maybe paris.

Since australia is a continent in its own right it would have to be Canberra but what of the other nations around it? Wellington i highly doubt would like to bend to the Aussies will nor the Fijians, Samoans etc. as for Africa well that would be fun...

Brussels is home to the EU.
Reply 17
Brussels is home to the EU.

The EU is not a country though and is somewhat different...
Reply 18
Original post by cl_steele
The EU is not a country though and is somewhat different...

The EU is the biggest geopolitical organisation in Europe and therefore it'd make sense for the proposed European capital to be located there.
Reply 19
The EU is the biggest geopolitical organisation in Europe and therefore it'd make sense for the proposed European capital to be located there.

Leaving aside the fact that Brussells isnt actually the capital of the EU the point youre making is somewhat flawed in that aside from the fact Brussells is a tiny little place with little to no clout on the world stage it would once again surely make more sense to locate said capital in a city which a] is more representitive of all the nations and b] is actually a power house i.e. london, berlin or paris... although since a large slab of russia is in europe i feel theyd object either way...

Latest

Trending

Trending