The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

£20k - That's more than enough to live on in West Bromwich if you're on your own. To be honest, I'd be happy with a bit less than that since it would allow me to survive but I guess it's nice to have a little extra.
Original post by Donald Duck
40K is just above my grad starting wage. No way I'm planning to earn that forever (but then I don't plan to work 9-5 at any point in my life either).

what degree you doing?
Reply 42
Original post by Stressed Eric
I'm expecting £180,000 at the peak of my career, with my career path I think its reasonable

That's a lot :eek:! What career do you want to pursue / are already working in? :tongue:
Reply 43
Original post by MrSam
Surveyor?

oil and gas subsea and pipeline engineer
Reply 44
I'd like to end up on about £80k. My Dad has always told me to aim for at least £50k and so that I will do. Looking at the prospects for software engineering, it is not entirely unfeasible. I'd be quite happy to bring up as I was brought up.
Original post by peaspod
....personally I feel I could only deem myself successful, career wise, if I eventually earn over 50k a year, ideally would like 70k.

I am deluding myself? Career wise it would be possible for me to eventually earn that much money (50k) but equally in my career I could be stuck on 40k max if I do not pursue higher level working commitments e.g management.

In my opinion 40k is not a lot of money. I have no idea why I think this. Both my parents are just above minimum wage earners so I don't know why I feel 40k would not be an acceptable amount of money to earn, for me, personally.

I'd like to hear what other peoples salary expectations are??

Aiming for a minimum of £80,000, this is at the peak of my career

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
I think I would be happy with 40-50k, but I have no idea what I am talking about because I don't have to work yet :biggrin: . Also it would depend where I would live and whom with. The dream of living in an apartment in NY or Chicago is still with me :biggrin:
My family income would be below 40k, I would say it's about 25k ish. When you pay all the bills and rent there is still some money left so it's pretty average and I don't really care. :tongue:
I want to be surgeon, so I am sure the salaries rise pretty high (100k+ for experienced surgeons) depending where you work and the years of experience.
Money is not the reason though, so it doesn't matter because I would still want to do it no matter what the salary was. :biggrin:
I know it would be nicer to cry in a Ferrari than a bus/train, but at least I would be satisfied with what I am doing (hopefully) :wink:.
(edited 11 years ago)
"being rich is knowing you have enough money"
best quote ive ever seen from a fortune cookie
Original post by Lexxaa
That's a lot :eek:! What career do you want to pursue / are already working in? :tongue:

clearly the mafia :P
Yeah I'd want more than 40k as well, it doesn't really seem like much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by upthegunners
what degree you doing?

EEM at Oxford. I'm comparing it to the first job I got.
Reply 51
Original post by yoitsro
clearly the mafia :P

Pretty badass job then :biggrin:
Bet he/she would have gold bullets too. It would be cooler to get shot witha gold bullet than just a plain bullet :tongue:
Original post by Donald Duck
EEM at Oxford. I'm comparing it to the first job I got.

That's excellent for grad employment
Original post by Lexxaa
Pretty badass job then :biggrin:
Bet he/she would have gold bullets too. It would be cooler to get shot witha gold bullet than just a plain bullet :tongue:

gold bullets do sound cool, although id take a tranquiliser or plastic bullet any day of the week :P
Here we go again...TSR really needs to get a grip when it comes to salary expectations.
As long as I have enough money to feed myself, clothe myself, pay the bills with, house myself with, and help my family/friends out should they ever need it I will consider myself lucky and I will be happy with that :biggrin: It's more important for me to have a job I am passionate about- good pay would be a bonus :biggrin:

I'm going into secondary school teaching so guess I will earn something between 20-40k, which is fine by me :biggrin:

And since when is 40k not a good wage? 0.o Isn't the national average only like 25k or something?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by yoitsro
gold bullets do sound cool, although id take a tranquiliser or plastic bullet any day of the week :P

Nah gold bullets are way cooler, plastic is too "mainstream" and less badass :biggrin:. I would dig it out with an unsterilized kitchen knife and pour alcohol on it like they do it in the movies :rolleyes: and then sell the bullet so I would have money to feed my unicorns and cats.
Actually, I would most likely die if that ever happened:tongue: or no one would want to shoot me :rolleyes:
Original post by Lexxaa
Nah gold bullets are way cooler, plastic is too "mainstream" and less badass :biggrin:. I would dig it out with an unsterilized kitchen knife and pour alcohol on it like they do it in the movies :rolleyes: and then sell the bullet so I would have money to feed my unicorns and cats.
Actually, I would most likely die if that ever happened:tongue: or no one would want to shoot me :rolleyes:

why would you do that when you can visit CASHMYGOLD.COM for an instant quote :wink:
Reply 58
Original post by peaspod
I'd like to add that I will never have a career as well paid as say consultants/lawyers/finance sector etc. I'm a scientist and we earn crap money and the best I could ever achieve would be 100k but that's the best of best! I will always aim for that but realistically I think I could achieve 50-70k. My friends think I am expecting to much and that 40k is a good wage :/ I live in the South East also, so 40k will not get me anywhere!

GBP 40k will obviously go alot further in Carlisle, Cumbria than in Pimlico, London.

You can achieve a GBP 100k equivalent if you work on a peripatetic basis in Germany and Switzerland (if you are an EU naional then there are no restrictions on this). In fact even at the junior levels you will receive more generous grants within the Eurozone.
I'm aiming to earn £50k+ in my career somewhere along the line, but I'd be perfectly happy to reach £40k if I'm honest.

Hoping to do something Economics/Finance related - so it'll either be Banking (after a Masters degree due to university choice), Accountancy or University Lecturing for me hopefully :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending